Five Heinous Crimes = Samaya Breaker ?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Motova

Five Heinous Crimes = Samaya Breaker ?

Post by Motova »

Why would someone who receives an empowerment and fails to practice and maintain their samaya be reborn in Avici Hell along with sentient beings who have committed the five heinous crimes?
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Wicked Yeshe

Re: Five Heinous Crimes = Samaya Breaker ?

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Because he or she becomes extremely deluded.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:44 pm Because he or she becomes extremely deluded.
Can you please expand on that?
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Motova wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:53 pm
Wicked Yeshe wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:44 pm Because he or she becomes extremely deluded.
They realize the depth of their karma and creates hell instead of nirvana. It fuddles natural compassion to the point where only hell and retribution exists whereas proper conduct would allow one to enter reality, see things as they are and have all their sins forgiven etc..

One good nembutsu will also acheive that.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:00 pm
Motova wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:53 pm
They realize the depth of their karma and creates hell instead of nirvana. It fuddles natural compassion to the point where only hell and retribution exists whereas proper conduct would allow one to enter reality, see things as they are and have all their sins forgiven etc..

One good nembutsu will also acheive that.
What if someone lost their faith in Vajrayana and continued to practice Dharma while letting their samaya deteriorate for the rest of their life?
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Honen and Shinran did that and they're obviously fine.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:19 pm Honen and Shinran did that and they're obviously fine.
:shrug:
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

They both lost faith in vajrayana and obviously abandoned their samaya but were still saved by the grace of Amida. To myself it's a question of pride. Not letting go of old pats on the back related to my past vajrayana practice. Like there is something promising about my life but still it all turns into nembutsu and inner koan stuff. Hard to explain..

Sorry if i confused you. :hi:
Someone else should try to answer your questions.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:33 pm They both lost faith in vajrayana and obviously abandoned their samaya but were still saved by the grace of Amida. To myself it's a question of pride. Not letting go of old pats on the back related to my past vajrayana practice. Like there is something promising about my life but still it all turns into nembutsu and inner koan stuff. Hard to explain..
Honen was a tendai monk so didn't have samaya, because if I understand it correctly tendai only practice the lower tantras.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:48 pm
Wicked Yeshe wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:33 pm They both lost faith in vajrayana and obviously abandoned their samaya but were still saved by the grace of Amida. To myself it's a question of pride. Not letting go of old pats on the back related to my past vajrayana practice. Like there is something promising about my life but still it all turns into nembutsu and inner koan stuff. Hard to explain..
Honen was a tendai monk so didn't have samaya, because if I understand it correctly tendai only practice the lower tantras.
I see. Shingon has samaya, though?
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:50 pm
Lobsang Chojor wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:48 pm Honen was a tendai monk so didn't have samaya, because if I understand it correctly tendai only practice the lower tantras.
Only the lower tantras were transmitted to Japan, the only commitments they would have would be practice commitments but I don't know how widespread they are in Japanese vajrayana.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:33 pm They both lost faith in vajrayana and obviously abandoned their samaya but were still saved by the grace of Amida.
They did not have samaya in highest yoga tantras since it never existed in Japan.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Motova wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:23 pm Why would someone who receives an empowerment and fails to practice and maintain their samaya be reborn in Avici Hell along with sentient beings who have committed the five heinous crimes?
failing to practice is not a problem. Failing to maintain samaya, however, is.

You need to review the fourteen root downfalls.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:54 pm
Wicked Yeshe wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:33 pm They both lost faith in vajrayana and obviously abandoned their samaya but were still saved by the grace of Amida.
They did not have samaya in highest yoga tantras since it never existed in Japan.
I think i read in "The weaving of mantra" that Shingon entails samaya. I got them mixed up then. :oops:
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:52 pm
Wicked Yeshe wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:50 pm
Lobsang Chojor wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:48 pm Honen was a tendai monk so didn't have samaya, because if I understand it correctly tendai only practice the lower tantras.
Only the lower tantras were transmitted to Japan, the only commitments they would have would be practice commitments but I don't know how widespread they are in Japanese vajrayana.
I see. Since i have taken no samaya and turned almost exclusively to the nembutsu i will not speculate more. I do look forward to reading some replies to his questions though.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:02 pm Hey! What is this? :soapbox:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaya#Shingon_Buddhism
Lower tantra samaya.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:10 pm
Lower tantra samaya.
Are they just the same commitments as the bodhisattva vows?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:20 pm
Malcolm wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:10 pm
Lower tantra samaya.
Are they just the same commitments as the bodhisattva vows?
basically.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

Wonder why they're called samaya then. The mystery gains density..

But you're basically saying that higher samaya is worse to break than the basic precepts? Is it possible to "do a Shinran and Honen" and become a pure land buddhist having taken samaya?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”