Equivalent to thogal

Malcolm

Re: Equivalent to thogal

Post by Malcolm »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:11 pm
Heart wrote: The same deity might have a long sadhana with an invitation of the jnanasattvas and very short sadhanas without.
My point being that with or without invitation, the visualized deity is never dismissed as simply one’s own imagination/samayasattva. If there’s no invitation the presence of jnanasattva is assumed, not dismissed.
The creation stage deity is a conceptual construct, an antidote to other concepts. That's all. From a Dzogchen perspective, it is an deviation.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:21 pm
Heart wrote: The same deity might have a long sadhana with an invitation of the jnanasattvas and very short sadhanas without.
My point being that with or without invitation, the visualized deity is never dismissed as simply one’s own imagination/samayasattva. If there’s no invitation the presence of jnanasattva is assumed, not dismissed.
The creation stage deity is a conceptual construct, an antidote to other concepts. That's all. From a Dzogchen perspective, it is an deviation.
See, I’m right!
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:11 pm Malcolm: whether there’s an invitation or not, the jnanasattva is a fiction and not to be taken seriously.
No, in mahayoga sadhanas, it is to be taken seriously as a symbolic method (but still a conceptual fabrication), just like it is in anuyoga.

But this does not apply to Dzogchen at all. The path is different, so the method is different.
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:52 pm
heart wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:43 pm But yes, strictly intellectually, there is no development and completion in Dzogchen. Unless you like Tulku Urgyen consider Tögal the natural development stage and Trechö the completion stage. So it is not so clean cut. :smile:
It is extremely clear cut in the tantras and commentaries, as well as in the teaching of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu.YMMV. :-)
Yes, I agree, but I don't want to limit myself like that.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:01 pm
heart wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:43 pm But yes, strictly intellectually, there is no development and completion in Dzogchen. Unless you like Tulku Urgyen consider Tögal the natural development stage and Trechö the completion stage. So it is not so clean cut. :smile:
It is extremely clear cut in the tantras and commentaries, as well as in the teaching of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu.YMMV. :-)

/magnus
Yes, well, there is also the indirect approach to atiyoga through the creation and completion stage. It is not a question of limitation, but rather, definition.
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:08 pm

/magnus
Yes, well, there is also the indirect approach to atiyoga through the creation and completion stage. It is not a question of limitation, but rather, definition.
My point was that it doesn't matter how you define yourself or your practice it have to correspond to your actual capacity.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:15 pm My point was that it doesn't matter how you define yourself or your practice it have to correspond to your actual capacity.
Well, if you are interested in sadhanas, then you should practice those. If you are not, then you just practice rushen, etc.
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:36 pm
heart wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:15 pm My point was that it doesn't matter how you define yourself or your practice it have to correspond to your actual capacity.
Well, if you are interested in sadhanas, then you should practice those. If you are not, then you just practice rushen, etc.
I done many rushan retreats but I don't feel that it is one or the other, it is all good.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:40 pm
I done many rushan retreats but I don't feel that it is one or the other, it is all good.

/magnus
It's all whatever one likes to do. But while rushen is indispensable in Dzogchen, deity yogas are not.
Kris

Post by Kris »

:popcorn:
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

:cheers:
Sennin wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:12 am:popcorn:
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Bingo!
Natan

Post by Natan »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:13 pm
Crazywisdom wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:22 am
Nyingthig has deity yoga too.
Nyinthig cycles have anuyoga practices appended to them, it is true. But they are anuyoga practices of the three roots, where atiyoga is taken as the completion stage.
I know. Guhyagarbha has this too
rai

Post by rai »

What was CNNR's advise about rushen, something to be done at the beginning of the path - SMS style, or as a daily practice or something to do intensively once a year for the whole life?
Anders

Post by Anders »

PeterC wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:42 pm
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:51 am Pascal’s wager
...only really works for Catholicism:
1. Entry requirements for heaven satisfied by low-cost ritual observance, irrespective of state of mind
2. No possibility of gaining direct experience of the truth of the teachings
The Buddha actually presents his own version of pascal's wager in the pali Canon in regards to karma and whether one should believe it without having direct experience of it.

The difference is that where pascal proposes that one should believe on the basis of the wager, the Buddha proposes that it doesn't really matter that much if you actually believe in karma, as long as you recognise the prudence in acting as if karma were actually the case. That and the fact that the benefits of the Buddha's wager are weighed against observable benefits in this life rather than hypothetical benefits in the after life.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Anders wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:02 am
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:51 am Pascal’s wager
1. Entry requirements for heaven satisfied by low-cost ritual observance, irrespective of state of mind
The Buddha actually presents his own version of pascal's wager in the pali Canon in regards to karma and whether one should believe it without having direct experience of it.

The difference is that where pascal proposes that one should believe on the basis of the wager, the Buddha proposes that it doesn't really matter that much if you actually believe in karma, as long as you recognise the prudence in acting as if karma were actually the case. That and the fact that the benefits of the Buddha's wager are weighed against observable benefits in this life rather than hypothetical benefits in the after life.
Are you referring to the four consolations?
Anders

Post by Anders »

PeterC wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:24 am
Anders wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:02 am

Are you referring to the four consolations?
No, although I suppose they relate. I refer to the apannaka Sutta, where the Buddha lays out a "safe bet":

Even if we didn't speak of action, and there weren't the true statement of those venerable contemplatives & brahmans, this venerable person is still praised in the here-&-now by the observant as a person of good habits & right view: one who holds to a doctrine of action.'
If there really is a next world, then this venerable person has made a good throw twice, in that he is praised by the observant here-&-now; and in that — with the breakup of the body, after death — he will reappear in a good destination, a heavenly world. Thus this safe-bet teaching, when well grasped & adopted by him, covers both sides, and leaves behind the possibility of the unskillful.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html (here are also links to other wager type strategems the Buddha employs).
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Natan

Post by Natan »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:21 pm
This is wrong. The deities are Dzogchen. The conceptual construction is a method. The pith instructions offer an alternative. But the tantra makes clear it is one's understanding or way of practicing that makes a deity dzogchen. Dzogchen is not a path. It's nature. Deities are a deviation is you are practicing thogal, etc. Creation stage is a deviation if you are into completion stage. One must focus on the task at hand.
Last edited by Natan on Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:23 pm
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:11 pm Malcolm: whether there’s an invitation or not, the jnanasattva is a fiction and not to be taken seriously.
No, in mahayoga sadhanas, it is to be taken seriously as a symbolic method (but still a conceptual fabrication), just like it is in anuyoga.

But this does not apply to Dzogchen at all. The path is different, so the method is different.
Dzogchen is not a method. ChNN said that often. This is an important point.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:08 pm

/magnus
State the definition. What are you defining?

Return to “Dzogchen”