Guru Rinpoche As...

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Natan

Re: Guru Rinpoche As...

Post by Natan »

Stewart wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:38 am
Crazywisdom wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:13 am
Stewart wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:01 pm

Agreed. A couple of years ago I practiced Drolod daily. Over the following few months I developed severe chest pain and other symptoms, and it was identifed quickly I had a 100% blocked artery in my heart. The master I received the empowerment etc from then told me to stop Drolod at that point and do a peaceful Guru Sādhanā.

The blockage got fixed and I'm fine...but from the moment I started Drolod things escalated quickly and intensely. It's seems it brought an serious underlying problem to the forefront.
One should perform numerous vajrasattva and ganapuja before taking on wrathful sadhana, let alone extremely wrathful. I’ve always been driven to them. My history is scary.

Yeah...I didn't just practice it on a whim or against my masters wishes, he knew I was doing it. I fully believe it laid bare the health issue swiftly and directly that otherwise may have gone unnoticed. In fact my cardiologist said the only reason i didn't have a big heart attack is because I'd rapidly developed really good collateral vessels round the blockage.

Thanks for the advice, but as we say in Scotland ''am no daft'
Sometimes I feel like I’m going to have a clogged artery or die. I don’t have a doctor or insurance so I’ll probably just die. And I’m OK with that
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Crazywisdom wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:57 am
Drolod is not to be avoided. It’s probably one the greatest blessings. But it’s a powerful method. If one is dealing
With demonic issues, it’s number one. If one needs protection from really powerful enemies it’s the best. I think the Drolod people in Tibet were ones who escaped first. One might be at a point where death is nothing to fear. That’s a good place
To be for it. And one can make use one ones mantra practice swiftly. It will challenge one’s commitment to the path. That’s for sure. And that is a good thing.

GP manifested in peaceful forms, as
amitayus, as medicine Buddha, as a monk,
Etc

Wrathful was always a good fit for me due to the heavy demonic issues from my past.
The 8 Manifestations are explained pretty well in most sources, and there are other Yidams 'complete in the 3 Roots' to choose from. I guess the key is to be guided by a competent Lama. If you end up being guided by one who is not, as I was, and practices become harmful, I think it is down to good karma ripening if you then manage to find good guidance and an antidote practice.

I'm not sure if there is a universal 'best one' but there are certainly a few which seem to work well - Dragphur for example, perhaps because it combines so much. I think ChNN explains it well and the need to engage in sufficient practice to attain the 'function' of a practice. I wonder how many abandon a practice too early and just move on to the next. Drolod is certainly not one to be entered into in that casual way but seems that it works for those who perform it properly.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Natan

Post by Natan »

Mantrik wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:44 am
Drolod is not to be avoided. It’s probably one the greatest blessings. But it’s a powerful method. If one is dealing
With demonic issues, it’s number one. If one needs protection from really powerful enemies it’s the best. I think the Drolod people in Tibet were ones who escaped first. One might be at a point where death is nothing to fear. That’s a good place
To be for it. And one can make use one ones mantra practice swiftly. It will challenge one’s commitment to the path. That’s for sure. And that is a good thing.

Etc

Wrathful was always a good fit for me due to the heavy demonic issues from my past.
The 8 Manifestations are explained pretty well in most sources, and there are other Yidams 'complete in the 3 Roots' to choose from. I guess the key is to be guided by a competent Lama. If you end up being guided by one who is not, as I was, and practices become harmful, I think it is down to good karma ripening if you then manage to find good guidance and an antidote practice.

I'm not sure if there is a universal 'best one' but there are certainly a few which seem to work well - Dragphur for example, perhaps because it combines so much. I think ChNN explains it well and the need to engage in sufficient practice to attain the 'function' of a practice. I wonder how many abandon a practice too early and just move on to the next. Drolod is certainly not one to be entered into in that casual way but seems that it works for those who perform it properly.
There’s ones that fit well. Ones your teacher has. Universally it will be a peaceful manifestation and the 7 Line Prayer.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Crazywisdom wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:13 pm
Mantrik wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:44 am

Etc

There’s ones that fit well. Ones your teacher has. Universally it will be a peaceful manifestation and the 7 Line Prayer.
Konchog Chidu is excellent as a 'universal' practice, come to think of it, and a form of it is within the Thuns of ChNN. The Vajra Guru mantra has huge benefits.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

lelopa wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:25 am
When the name Dorje Drolo is in original Vajrakhrodalokottara then Ati Muwer could be in original Amy Shumer or Abby Mueller, etc- etc.
and these are no bonpo divinities.... :rolleye:
Behind one door is a lady, behind another is a tiger that will eat you. You can ask the guru one question to which he will respond only yes or no...
Natan

Post by Natan »

PeterC wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:16 pm
lelopa wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:25 am
When the name Dorje Drolo is in original Vajrakhrodalokottara then Ati Muwer could be in original Amy Shumer or Abby Mueller, etc- etc.
and these are no bonpo divinities.... :rolleye:
Behind one door is a lady, behind another is a tiger that will eat you. You can ask the guru one question to which he will respond only yes or no...
Yes or tiger
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:38 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:12 pm
Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:27 pm

1 Drolo is always on a Tiger to represent his great wrathfulness. Padma Heruka also sits on a tiger throne. GP is lotus family.

2 it’s the subjugation Bonpos prolly don’t like

3 it’s a Tibetanization of Guru Vajra Krodha Lokattara
I'm confused, i just read that not always is on a tiger.

I agree that GP did subjugated, but in the manifestation according to ChNN is still in that? didn't GP succeeded already? I really doubt it, so for that reasoning the mount must be active, not in submission.

I mean it seems that, litteraly, he is effortlessly raiding on wrath.
Apparently Malcolm read books where there’s no tiger. Everyone active I know of gives the tiger seat.

Subjegated the Bon deity same like how dharmaphala are sometimes subjegated and oath bound to protect dharma. Then they’re let loose to exert their power.

Or he and his consort transformed together.
*i meant that i doubt the manifestation is actually in a subduing action over the ancient lokapala.

now, this yidam is about subduing or integrating? is about controlling or what?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Natan

Post by Natan »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:03 am
Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:38 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm confused, i just read that not always is on a tiger.

I agree that GP did subjugated, but in the manifestation according to ChNN is still in that? didn't GP succeeded already? I really doubt it, so for that reasoning the mount must be active, not in submission.

I mean it seems that, litteraly, he is effortlessly raiding on wrath.
Apparently Malcolm read books where there’s no tiger. Everyone active I know of gives the tiger seat.

Subjegated the Bon deity same like how dharmaphala are sometimes subjegated and oath bound to protect dharma. Then they’re let loose to exert their power.

Or he and his consort transformed together.
*i meant that i doubt the manifestation is actually in a subduing action over the ancient lokapala.

now, this yidam is about subduing or integrating? is about controlling or what?
The headline for one empowerment was: wrathful and magnetizing siddhis. And all activities occur swiftly.

Activities means Buddhahood is achieved.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Is there a practice in which Guru Rinpoche manifests as Manjusri?

I think I remember hearing someone mention such a practice some years ago, but I can't find anything about it now.
cyril

Post by cyril »

DGA wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:47 am Is there a practice in which Guru Rinpoche manifests as Manjusri?

I think I remember hearing someone mention such a practice some years ago, but I can't find anything about it now.
Mawey Senge. One of the 12 manifestations of Guru Rinpoche from Tukdrub Barchey Künsel.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
heart

Post by heart »

cyril wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:26 am
DGA wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:47 am Is there a practice in which Guru Rinpoche manifests as Manjusri?

Mawey Senge. One of the 12 manifestations of Guru Rinpoche from Tukdrub Barchey Künsel.
There is a really excellent book on this practice: https://www.shambhala.com/a-practice-of ... -2165.html

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

heart wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:56 am
cyril wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:26 am

There is a really excellent book on this practice: https://www.shambhala.com/a-practice-of ... -2165.html

/magnus
That's super helpful. Thank you, magnus and cyril.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

The discussion about Bön and Ati Muwer is off-topic. It's been moved to this new thread on the Bön forum. Please continue the conversation there.

:focus:
Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”