James Low & Simply Being

Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: James Low & Simply Being

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:
smcj wrote:And has Low been authorized to teach?
Yes, Chhimed Rigdzin Rinpoche has authorized both him and Gudrun Knausenberger to teach and to give initiations, I've heard him say that about two dozen times and hundreds of others will be able to confirm that.
I assume in this sentence the pronoun "him" refers to CR Rin.

In that case may there be benefit!
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
emaho

Post by emaho »

smcj wrote:
ReasonAndRhyme wrote:
smcj wrote:And has Low been authorized to teach?
Yes, Chhimed Rigdzin Rinpoche has authorized both him and Gudrun Knausenberger to teach and to give initiations, I've heard him say that about two dozen times and hundreds of others will be able to confirm that.
I assume in this sentence the pronoun "him" refers to CR Rin.
Yes.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Ivo wrote:
Jikan wrote:
We know that Low was involved with many translation projects and has advocated particular kinds of sadhana practice (the chod practice linked below is one example)...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/78295370/Chod-Practice
Hi Jikan. Just for your reference, the above is just the Chod practice from the Longchen Nyingthig cycle of Jigme lingpa, with some additional prayers connected to the monastery and lineage. It is one of the most popular Chod sadhanas currently practiced in the Nyingma tradition, if not the most popular. It is totally mainstream, just the translation is a little weird.
Yes, that was part of the point I was trying to make: it seems to me that Low may be more traditional than had been suggested so far in this discussion. Sorry for being unclear...
Ivo

Post by Ivo »

Jikan wrote:
Ivo wrote:
Jikan wrote:
We know that Low was involved with many translation projects and has advocated particular kinds of sadhana practice (the chod practice linked below is one example)...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/78295370/Chod-Practice
Hi Jikan. Just for your reference, the above is just the Chod practice from the Longchen Nyingthig cycle of Jigme lingpa, with some additional prayers connected to the monastery and lineage. It is one of the most popular Chod sadhanas currently practiced in the Nyingma tradition, if not the most popular. It is totally mainstream, just the translation is a little weird.
Yes, that was part of the point I was trying to make: it seems to me that Low may be more traditional than had been suggested so far in this discussion. Sorry for being unclear...
Most western teachers are very traditional when it comes to serious practice, even if it does not look that way by their public talks. I don't know about him particularly, but this is true for many of them, even the most 'innovative' ones, like Lama Surya Das, for example. It is only logical, if one has attained some level of realization through one's tradition, there is no incentive to change the core teachings, but you can reserve them for your closest students. In fact one can usually judge if a teacher is serious by this criteria alone.
theanarchist

Post by theanarchist »

I met him once at a teaching event by CRR. He seemed to be a nice enough guy.
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

The Vimeo website of James Low's teachings has recently posted 15 new videos. Of particular interest are 10 talks from a 2008 teaching on the "Three Words of Garab Dorje". In English with German translation.
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
lorem

Post by lorem »

Prayer for the Spontaneous Fulfillment of all Wishes

Emaho!

In the heart of a blossoming lotus, upon the waters of the lake, you are the spontaneously accomplished wisdom, the embodiment of the five buddha families. O great, self‐existing Lotus Father and Mother, surrounded by clouds of dakinis, to you we pray, grant your blessing so that all our wishes be quickly fulfilled!

As a result of our negative actions, whenever we suffer from illness, malevolent spirits and obstacles, warfare and violence, famine and starvation, then remember your promise that even simply to think of you will immediately consume all such suffering. We implore you, from the depths of our hearts, O Lord of Orgyen, grant your blessings so that all our wishes be quickly fulfilled!

To practice devotion, discipline and generosity; to liberate the mind through hearing the Dharma, and to have dignity, self‐control and knowledge—make these seven noble human qualities penetrate the minds of all sentient beings and so bring peace and happiness to the world. Grant your blessings so that all our wishes are quickly fulfilled!

When oppressed by illness, suffering and unwanted circumstances, falling prey to harm and obstruction from negativity and demonic forces, threatened by fire, water, and journeys of great danger, when this life is spent and death arrives, at all these times, we have nowhere to turn except to you. Care for us with your great compassion, O great Orgyen Guru, grant your blessings so that all our wishes be quickly fulfilled!

With the intention of pacifying the land of Tibet, disease, starvation, and warfare, as well as to foster the well‐being of the teachings and all beings, those of faith should keep this prayer in their heart‐mind.

The first verse of this prayer is taken from Kunkhyen Longchen Rabjamʹs profound commentarial and supplemental text, Khandro Yangtig, specifically, the section on offering ocean‐like banks of offering‐clouds. The other verses are the Vajra Speech blessing of Rigdzin Jigme Lingpa, the second Omniscient One.

(The Collected Works of Düdjom, vol. 18, page 129)
I should be meditating.
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

I dont know how many people tune in and listen to the teachings of James Low but i wanted to let folks know that some new, and very good i might add, teachings have recently been posted. (Probably unnecessary to post this since if you do tune in you already know these teachings are there but you never know who may benefit...)

Anyway, there are some quite good explanations of shunyata in what have recently been posted. I am specificaly referring to "The Heart Sutra Opens the Door". As we all know, shunyata is the foundation of Dzogchen so i think these teachings are quite useful. And they are in english which is helpful. He's quite good at what he does i think. Maybe its just the english, i dont know but i am recommending you take another listen here.
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
kukuripa

Post by kukuripa »

A link would be helpful
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

He was a special one.
yes he was. he disturb my mind!

http://www.khordong.de/alt/Engl/rand_e.html
OM SOTI
LA ME TSO KYE GYAL WAI RING LUG CHOG
KA TER MIN DROL MEN NGAG SAM MI KYAB
PEL DZE CHI WA MED PAI RIG DZIN JE
YANG TRUL NYUR JON DZAE TRIN LHUN DRUB SHOG
mirrormind

Post by mirrormind »

Today is in fact the 14th anniversary of Chhimed Rigdzin Rinpoche's death according to the Tibetan calendar.
You can't think your way out of samsara.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

I went to a retreat of James' this past weekend.

Lots of 'aha!' and 'ahahaha' moments.
Many penny drops - he certainly has a way with words and is able to convey the simplicities and nuances of Dzogchen in a widely accessible way.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

Vasana wrote:I went to a retreat of James' this past weekend.

Many penny drops - he certainly has a way with words and is able to convey the simplicities and nuances of Dzogchen in a widely accessible way.

Lucky you
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

MalaBeads wrote:
Vasana wrote:I went to a retreat of James' this past weekend.

Lucky you
The audio recordings of the retreat will be up online in a few weeks time so lucky all of us :)
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Kris

Post by Kris »

I very much appreciate the lectures James Low presents.
Just sometimes it would be great if he doesn't always build so many nuances all the time. Not saying it's a negative thing, just when he talks more simply without too many layers is profound itself. That's why I prefer to listen to his lectures when someone is translating so I can get time to assimilate what he says.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
KRB80

Post by KRB80 »

I've been checking out his lectures as well. I have quite an affinity for his style, I must say. The Eifel Retreat recordings are really excellent. I'm very grateful for this thread popping up and introducing me to Mr. Low.
We live in illusion and the appearance of things. There is a reality. We are that reality. When you understand this, you see that you are nothing, and being nothing, you are everything. That is all. - Kalu Rinpoche
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

He seemed to be a nice enough guy.
can confirm. Even more than that, he's really availing himself to whoever seeks proceeding on the Dharma path in the Dzogchen way.
Since retired, he shifted gears. As to what I can judge, he really is a resource for Dzogchen practicioners in Europe:
He builds bridges between Tibetan tradition and Western Style, between modern need to understand psyche and mysticism.
As far as I got that he is the holder of the heart line of CRR.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

There is an upcoming James Low teaching in January held in Lekdanling, London and organized by Shang Shung Institute UK.

https://events.time.ly/suabo7v?event=854484

https://www.lekdanling.org/whats-on/#event=860897
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

"dzogchen is the practice of applied phenomenology"

-James Low from the Eifel Retreats

Return to “Dzogchen”