Teachers with clairvoyance, alive

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
jet.urgyen

Teachers with clairvoyance, alive

Post by jet.urgyen »

Hello folks, can you provide names of clairvoyant teachers, Gurus, currently alive?

Thanks in the advance
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Teachers with clairvoyance, alive

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

jet.urgyen wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:15 pm Hello folks, can you provide names of clairvoyant teachers, Gurus, currently alive?

Thanks in the advance
No.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:51 pm
jet.urgyen wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:15 pm Hello folks, can you provide names of clairvoyant teachers, Gurus, currently alive?

Thanks in the advance
No.
Very nice from your part.

Up.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

jet.urgyen wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:33 am

Thanks in the advance
No.

Up.
Well, that’s the short answer.
Here’s the long answer:

If it’s your own teacher,
you aren’t going to say so here.

If it’s another person’s teacher,
then how would you really know?
How could you prove it?

Any teacher who announces they are clairvoyant
is lying, and teachers who are don’t announce it.

If they are clairvoyant,
then you don’t need people to give you a list.
Just call on them in visualization,
and they’ll know it.

Then, if a meeting is the right action,
they will cause it to happen,
and if a meeting is not,
then knowing who they are
won’t serve any purpose.

So any way you look at it: no.
😁
EMPTIFUL.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Thanks in the advance
As Padma has said, and this has been discussed before, it is something that you simply don't reveal.
And, to be honest if you noticed it and you brought it up with your Lama he would likely
say he had no idea what you were rambling on about.

With that said, there are and have been those who have displayed this siddhi.

Shaun :namaste:
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Thanks in the advance
No.

Up.
It is better not to ask these questions.
florin

Post by florin »

Thanks in the advance
You should know that because you are part of Vajrayana cult, certain questions are not allowed. You are committing a heresy and be reprimanded by experienced old timers who have worked very hard to build a dharma ego.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

PeterC wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:28 pm

No.

Up.
So it seems.

I need to ask something very important, that's why i ask. I guess i can't relly here on asking for someone to look for.

GR, ChNN, KKD, LDR, RR... All of them have/had this..

heart

Post by heart »

florin wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:05 pm

Thanks in the advance
You should know that because you are part of Vajrayana cult, certain questions are not allowed. You are committing a heresy and be reprimanded by experienced old timers who have worked very hard to build a dharma ego.
:smile:
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

PeterC wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:28 pm It is better not to ask these questions.
florin wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:05 pm You should know that because you are part of Vajrayana cult, certain questions are not allowed. You are committing a heresy and be reprimanded by experienced old timers who have worked very hard to build a dharma ego.
WHAT?? Not so sure about that. It’s not that these things shouldn’t be discussed at all. It’s not like some kind of dark secret. Students may sometimes talk with each about things that they have experienced with their teacher, especially if they have seen it as a group.

There is a lama I know, in India, who keeps a very low profile. When he was in the United States, we became pretty good friends, but never had a formal teacher-student thing. But I was friends with someone who was his devoted student.

This lama was very quiet and humble, and my friend thought he was merely, as the Dalai Lama says, “a simple monk”. But then she found out from one of his other students (who was a monk) that this lama is actually a highly respected Rinpoche who used to be the head of a monastery and was known for having all sorts of ‘special abilities’.

The monk said that this lama kept a low profile and didn’t let his accomplishments known because doing so tends to attract people who aren’t interested in developing bodhicitta or seriously practicing Buddhism.

As it was, people would sometimes go to him (simply because he was a lama) asking for magic spells to get rich, or to cause harm to their enemies. If. Of course, he sent them away. Having a reputation of possessing siddhis only tends to encourage more of that sort of thing.

So, that’s a big part of the ‘secrecy’ around siddhis. It’s not like some arcane world that only exists in the shadows. When it’s time for siddhis to be displayed, when there is a legitimate reason to engage some extraordinary ability in order to help beings, then a lama may do that.

Likewise, knowing that advertising special powers attracts people for the wrong reasons, one needs to be skeptical about “teachers” who advertise having siddhis in order to attract followers.
EMPTIFUL.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Thanks in the advance
Wtf aree u talking about🤣
florin

Post by florin »

Tata1 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:25 pm

Thanks in the advance
Perhaps, to understand what I mean, refer to this topic https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 2&start=60 where the subject of gatekeeping is discussed.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

jet.urgyen wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:06 pm

Up.
So it seems.

I need to ask something very important, that's why i ask. I guess i can't relly here on asking for someone to look for.

Why don’t you ask your teacher for a divination then? Or ask him to refer you to someone who he thinks is good for that?

did you think you would get a good answer asking this sort of thing of strangers on the internet?
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

florin wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:06 pm Perhaps, to understand what I mean, refer to this topic https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 2&start=60 where the subject of gatekeeping is discussed.
Sorry, I don’t understand where there is any connection between that topic and this topic.
Can you be more specific?
EMPTIFUL.
laowhining

Post by laowhining »

florin wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:06 pm ...where the subject of gatekeeping is discussed.
I don't think anything in this thread qualifies as gatekeeping. Nobody's keeping teachers or teachings from anyone because of lack of qualification, they're just pointing out that it's kind of pointless to ask this question.

Even if someone were to respond that such-and-such teacher is clairvoyant, that's more a demonstration of their faith in their teacher than anything else. I've heard no story about the clairvoyance of any teacher currently alive that demonstrates beyond a shadow of a doubt that they truly possess this siddhi.

Better to look at a teacher's other, legitimately observable qualities and base your trust in their guidance on that rather than stories.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

"And what is the demonstration of revealing? In one case, someone reveals the mind, mentality, thoughts, and reflections of other beings and individuals: ‘This is what you’re thinking, such is your thought, and thus is your state of mind.’

Then someone with faith and confidence sees that mendicant revealing another person’s thoughts. They tell someone else who lacks faith and confidence: ‘Oh, how incredible, how amazing! The ascetic has such psychic power and might! I saw him myself, revealing the thoughts of another person!’

But the one lacking faith and confidence would say to them: ‘There’s a spell named Māṇikā. Using that a mendicant can reveal another person’s thoughts.’

What do you think, Kevaḍḍha? Wouldn’t someone lacking faith speak like that?”

“They would, sir.”

“Seeing this drawback in revealing, I’m horrified, repelled, and disgusted by demonstrations of revealing."

(DN 11)
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Tata1 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:25 pm

Thanks in the advance
Smell the coffee. It's irony.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

PeterC wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:16 pm
jet.urgyen wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:06 pm

So it seems.

Why don’t you ask your teacher for a divination then? Or ask him to refer you to someone who he thinks is good for that?

did you think you would get a good answer asking this sort of thing of strangers on the internet?
i already asked khenpo la, and made a divination myself. already did the homework :rolling:

is a simple question, i didn't thought it would arise dust. some people have high level clairvoyance, and i don't see the problem.

JCA

Post by JCA »

I’ll take the original post 1 step further…
False modesty:
Why do Buddhist teachers deny their attainments?
For instance, Lama Yeshe and Lama Zopa Rinpoche used to describe their teachings as “Mickey Mouse” teachings.
Other teachers who obviously have an encyclopedic knowledge and many decades of practice claim to have little to no realizations and experiences.
Students often go the other way and claim their teachers are highly realized beings.
First, I think it’s a violation of the vow to tell the truth. Sure, we can say it’s “skillful” but I’m not so sure.
It’s possible they do this because:
1. They are trying to set an example to their students to be modest
2. It is a tradition
3. They are afraid of generating grasping, clinging or an inflated ego
4. They see their own teachers act this way
5. Some other reason

I can say from a student’s perspective that I find it to be insincere, literally dishonest and sometimes depressing.
If my teacher, upon whom I am relying for instruction, direction and even empowerments, claims that after 50 years of study, contemplation and meditation they have no actual realizations it makes me wonder how someone like myself could possibly achieve anything worthwhile.
Contrast that with the Tantra teachings that say enlightenment is possible even in a single lifetime.
I personally find it unsettling when I hear my teachers in self-deprecation mode.
I’m curious if you have a similar reaction and what your thoughts are on this.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

jet.urgyen wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:15 pm some people have high level clairvoyance, and i don't see the problem.
Nobody said there was a problem.
You asked for names, and this answer came back no, and adequate explanations have been given.

Whatever you believe about a teacher is good enough. Even if I say that lama so-and-so is clairvoyant, there’s no proof, just hearsay.
It will be believed or it won’t be, and that’s all.
So the whole topic is basically idle chatter.
EMPTIFUL.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”