New Colloquial Tibetan Book

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
SilenceMonkey

New Colloquial Tibetan Book

Post by SilenceMonkey »

There is a new book in town. Dawa Tsering’s “Colloquial Tibetan Grammar Book: Volume 1” is the new best book on spoken Tibetan, in my opinion. It was published a month ago and I happened upon it in a bookshop in McLeod Ganj.

Basically, it is very straight forward and to the point. Every page or two presents a new grammar pattern and gives you a lot of example sentences. I haven’t seen a number of the grammar patterns before, and now I have ways to express things I’ve wanted to express for years.

I haven’t met Gen Dawa personally, but from the few people I’ve met who know him, they say he is the best spoken Tibetan teacher they’ve ever met. He taught mostly at the Manjushri Center of Tibetan Culture in Darjeeling when it was still around, as well as Rangjung Yeshe.
nyamlae

Re: New Colloquial Tibetan Book

Post by nyamlae »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:02 pm There is a new book in town. Dawa Tsering’s “Colloquial Tibetan Grammar Book: Volume 1” is the new best book on spoken Tibetan, in my opinion. It was published a month ago and I happened upon it in a bookshop in McLeod Ganj.
Thanks for mentioning. Can it be bought online anywhere? Does it come with audio? How many volumes are there?

I tried searching for it online but didn't have any luck.
ཨ་ཀུ་ཧ་ྈྐ།
ཨི་ཙུ་ཡ་ཤ།
རྀ་ཊུ་ར་ཥ།
ལྀ་ཏུ་ལ་ས།
ཨུ་པུ་ཝ་ྉྤ།

https://tibetanlanguage.school/
Punya

Post by Punya »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:02 pm There is a new book in town. Dawa Tsering’s “Colloquial Tibetan Grammar Book: Volume 1” is the new best book on spoken Tibetan, in my opinion. It was published a month ago and I happened upon it in a bookshop in McLeod Ganj.
Perhaps the book is only available locally at the moment. Could you tell us the name of the bookshop and the publisher?

Also wondering about the Manjushree Center of Tibetan Culture. Are you saying this is another centre that hasn't resumed Tibetan language classes since the covid lockdown?
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Punya wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:56 pm
Perhaps the book is only available locally at the moment. Could you tell us the name of the bookshop and the publisher?

Also wondering about the Manjushree Center of Tibetan Culture. Are you saying this is another centre that hasn't resumed Tibetan language classes since the covid lockdown?
Yes, sorry. Not coming on here regularly these days.

The bookstore I got it from is called “Tibet Bookstore” on Jogiwara road, near Main Square in McLeod Ganj (Dharamsala, India). I don’t believe there is any e-book or online ordering option as of yet. It seems Gen Dawa is quite traditional, I’m guessing that maybe he hasn’t thought about this.

I believe the Manjushri Center of Tibetan Culture closed around ten years ago. It used to be a good place to learn Tibetan.

https://www.darjeeling-tourism.com/darj_000064.htm
Punya

Post by Punya »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:49 am
The bookstore I got it from is called “Tibet Bookstore” on Jogiwara road, near Main Square in McLeod Ganj (Dharamsala, India). I don’t believe there is any e-book or online ordering option as of yet. It seems Gen Dawa is quite traditional, I’m guessing that maybe he hasn’t thought about this.

I believe the Manjushri Center of Tibetan Culture closed around ten years ago. It used to be a good place to learn Tibetan.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully most of us who are interested will have a way of obtaining it through contacts or even a visit to the bookstore in person. :smile:

Sorry to hear about the language centre closing. It sounds like it was a good place to learn Tibetan, in its day.
~Chatral Rinpoche
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

ISBN 978-1-948203-38-8

Publishing House: Chaman Enterprises
1603 Pataudi House, Darya Ganj, New Delhi - 110002

“Suggestions and Comments: please email me at [email protected] with suggestions and corrections. To learn pronunciation and reading, go to my YouTube channel at Learn Tibetan by Gen Dawa (@learntibetanbygendawa4970)”

https://youtube.com/@learntibetanbygendawa4970
Punya

Post by Punya »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:02 pm There is a new book in town. Dawa Tsering’s “Colloquial Tibetan Grammar Book: Volume 1” is the new best book on spoken Tibetan, in my opinion.
The good news is that Namse Bangdzo is now stocking this book! https://www.namsebangdzo.com/Colloquial ... 203388.htm. The book description says:
This book is intended to be the most complete colloquial Tibetan grammar book currently available. Because the colloquial Tibetan language has primarily been a spoken language and has not generally been taught through systematic rules of grammar, many of these Tibetan grammatical structures have never been described before in print.

For 23 years, Dawa Tsering has researched both the English and Tibetan language, discovering how hundreds of Tibetan grammatical structures can be expressed in English and vice-versa. This book is the product of his hard work and great love of language. However, Colloquial Tibetan Grammar is not just a reference. It is intended for learning the language, and the examples is this book build on each other so as to reinforce memory retention and learning. It is a wonderful addition to the books available for students and lovers of the Tibetan Language.
I've also spoken to the author and he tells me Vol. 2 has just been published in India and Vol.3 (the final volume) is in the works. If there's enough support for the 1st book, hopefully Namse Bangdzo will stock Vols 2 & 3 in the future.

Thanks SilenceMonkey for your review. :namaste: I've now ordered order Vol 1. and I'm looking forward to progressing my understanding of the spoken language.
~Chatral Rinpoche
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Vol 2 is now available. It can be found in Kathmandu and Mcleod Ganj, Dharamsala. Each has a bookstore called "Tibet Bookstore," and that's where you'll find it.
John108

Post by John108 »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:00 am Vol 2 is now available. It can be found in Kathmandu and Mcleod Ganj, Dharamsala. Each has a bookstore called "Tibet Bookstore," and that's where you'll find it.
Hi SilenceMonkey,

I just came across your posts about Gen Dawa la's books. I had the chance to study with him at Manjushree Institute a long time ago and, indeed, he is one of the best native Tibetan language teachers I have encountered.
In order to get an idea if I should purchase these books, would it be by any chance possible for you to take a picture of 1-2 pages of each volume as well as the tables of contents?
Thank you very much in advance
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

John108 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:18 am In order to get an idea if I should purchase these books, would it be by any chance possible for you to take a picture of 1-2 pages of each volume as well as the tables of contents?

Hi John,

I’m not sure how to post a photo on here. But if you send me an email, I could send you photos through email.
John108

Post by John108 »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:22 am
John108 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:18 am In order to get an idea if I should purchase these books, would it be by any chance possible for you to take a picture of 1-2 pages of each volume as well as the tables of contents?

Hi John,

I’m not sure how to post a photo on here. But if you send me an email, I could send you photos through email.
Hi SilenceMonkey,

Thank you for your response! I have just sent you a PM :)

Return to “Language”