Fingers

Share your stories and poems with us here.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Fingers

Post by narhwal90 »

The hunters are getting closer. Less warning and less time, now I have to fight instead of running. I came across the last one working at a pile of cut-up corpses, sorting though the parts to find the ID scan tag to let him through a building door. I had to help him sort, as if I was also a hunter- until he was distracted and I could vanish. I shredded another by cutting him apart with a three-spike. The 3rd one I crushed into the void, but I knew this couldn't last as I dissolved out of the world.

Another group found me and pulled me out of nothing, stood me before an investigator who said wryly “I would have killed you but I wanted my knife back”. And lo, I felt in my coat pocket and pulled out an ornate fighting knife, runes glistening black and red all over. I handed it over- and the group of us was pushed out of the way...

“They're Here!” said someone and a figure of grey stone, eroded by immemorial time till it was just the shape of a man walked slowly through the doorway. He had just hints of face and clothing- a walking statue, stone as flesh- we all backed away another step. “The Two Brothers” breathed another, and a companion followed the first- another grey figure, stone also, this one with features clear and sharp, protruding nose and plumed hat- an aristocrat from some remote age. I had a moment to see him before the first figure turned directly to me, just the hints of his eye sockets peering into mine.

“Approach” came the ancient voice, quiet as the place where all the years go- and I stepped forward, halting there. “Kneel you idiot!” someone whispered, I quickly put palms together and did so.

The Brother placed his hands on either side of my face, thumbs upon my eyebrows- I braced myself for pain and death but only felt his warm and firm grip. Suddenly something new was pushed into my mind and he released me.

I stood, hands still palms together, the Brother held his hands up, also palms together “Observe.” he said, and I saw each of my fingers divide into another hand, and those fingers divide again- the new thing in my mind bringing out each division like a flower blooming. “Thus.” he said, dropping arms to his side and stepping away... I staggered back into the men behind me, looking at my hands again. They held me up while I regained footing, we watched the Two Brothers turn and together file out the doorway.

The investigator rounded on me, pale and wide-eyed- “What the devil!” and paused. “Grab Him!” he waved to a couple guards but they didn't move. I raised my right hand, made my fingers bloom again and the investigator blanched green and staggered backwards against his desk. I wiggled my thousand fingers and everyone backed away from me to the walls. I reached to the floor and picked up a few hundred of grains of sand and dust, letting each of them fall.

Everyone in the room was staring at me, speechless, so I shoved hands into my pockets and walked out the door. The hunters would be here soon too- better to be gone... better to try and understand what might come next.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: Fingers

Post by narhwal90 »

Chapter 2
------------------------

I walked through a doorway in a restaurant and another assassin found me. He was muscular and moved like a snake, knife on his belt but he was using his hands. I dodged and grappled with him and we rolled out onto the sidewalk. I saw another man leap at the assassin's henchman and pin him. I knocked my guy down and hit some pressure points to keep him still. I reached for his soul and found it pinned by animus in the body- as much a prisoner as I a fugitive. It took a few moments to tease the soul up out of the paralyzed body and into his mouth where it stepped timidly out. There was a moment I could almost see the connection between them stretch as if a drop of honey pouring from a jar, then the soul jumped free. In a flash it ran and the body instantly corrupted into clay and ash and flailing worms erupted through the grey skin, a moment later it all collapsed into dust.

Rising to my feet I glanced for the henchman and my savior, his assailant- both gone. I ran for it, I hope the soul and I both could stay free.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Chapter 3
===============================

I hid in the slums, stole food and picked pockets for a living- the hunters kept searching the good neighborhoods and worthwhile institutions, but even they ignored the unshaven shabby men turning away into filthy alleys. Poverty hid me better than dissolving into nothingness and appearing anywhere.

I gave up my shoes, belt and so on to the first thieves who robbed me- found replacement garments in a church's donation pile. The hands and fingers terrified me at first but when a hundred fingers touching a hundred thumbs feels as natural as a single finger and thumb one starts forgetting to make a distinction.

Once I showed them I was reliable the church let me live in an unused parish house in return for work- so I worked as a janitor; out of sight, out of mind. I cleaned the chapel after hours, once the priest closed the building and went to bed; the high ceiling, smooth stone floor and lingering incense was calming. I let the fingers of both hands go wide across the floors and pews, feeling for dust and debris & flaking varnish and picked up anything loose; no need to sweep or vacuum.

I knew I'd need to run sooner or later but the Bishop found me before I was ready. One night he startled me, stepping out of the shadows, “Follow.” was all he said and turned towards the altar. I thought about running, the church doors just a leap away but having observed him in the services I was sure he only made this overture because of thorough preparation.

So I checked the haft of my throwing knife but played dutiful and followed him past the apse to the passages behind.

Once among the small long untenanted prayer nooks, he turned “Judas!” he hissed, “you abandon your right given responsibility, yet crawl back to the church for shelter leaving bodies in your wake!” “Give me a reason not to open the doors to those hunting you.”

He was right of course, my actions make me anathema even among the venal. “Bishop, I ask no favors. I am a murderer and thief- there are reasons but no excuses. If you allow me, I will leave right now- I would not have those following me intrude here.”

“Bah!”, he spat, “I was there that night you know. I saw what happened, the blood running in the street after... the innocent and the guilty together. You cannot run forever, you cannot stay.”

He paused with a grunt, looking surprised, as the blood began staining the front of his cloak- then collapsed in a gurgle.

They are here, again- I jumped for nothingness, will I make it somewhere else this time?
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Chapter 4

I abandoned the cities, striking out for small towns forgotten by all who didn’t live there. One afternoon wandering homeless I gave the last of my bottled water to a man to distract him from jumping onto the tracks amid a passing train. As we walked back to town we talked of homelessness. “...but I’m still clean”, he said, “I’ll show you my old room.”, and once there we walked through the front door.

I could see why he had left, the usual bare single cinderblock efficiency; industrial carpet patchy with mold, acoustic tile collapsing off the ceiling, veneer peeling off the corners of ancient mismatched furniture, stink of old urine permeating the space. “Yeah, not much” I replied, “but better than sleeping on the street.”

We walked through the rest of the house. The failing plaster in several abandoned rooms was distracting but I could see the place had been a going concern with some recovery happening with those involved. I noted a variety of concert amplifiers collected into piles, a few bearing stickers and painted logos of bands I recognized from decades past. He replied, “Back then once those folks got clean and could play again they would donate something back here as a momento in gratitude- not just amps.” I figured some of that stuff would fetch a bunch from collectors, but there it was unpilfered and mouldering in place along with the house. “Amazing none of its been stolen” I offered. He nodded, “Probably some has been, but folks are less inclined to steal whats too big and heavy to stick in their pockets.”

“You can stay here if you like” he said, “but only if you’re clean- no substances, no girlfriends- the room is just for you.”. I replied, “Never had a substance problem myself, but I can abstain. I saw some stuff at work that they wanted to stay hidden, got my hands dirty in it, now there are many people involved.”

His gaze was lot sharper and clearer than I had realized as he paused. “You’re gonna have to handle that.” was all he said. I nodded. “They may come here. If they do, I’ll need to run.”

He shrugged, “Do what you have to. But if you keep running things will only get worse.” He paused for a moment, hand on the back door’s latch. “I think you’re in the right place though. While I was here there were few dudes with a lot of past trouble. Those that did the work got clean, got some recovery, some found a way to make amends so they could live honestly.”

“Tell you what.” he said, “I’ll be your sponsor. You’re the only one here. If you’re willing, I’ll come every day, we can work on the steps. If you’re gone then I’ll know that you needed to go.”

I was tempted.. a bed of sorts, someone to talk to. But I thought of the priest, it would be the same with this guy. “They won’t hesitate even if you’re here” I warned. He shrugged again. “Maybe so” he replied, “My old sponsor was a firefighter, it was fire that killed him in the end, but he never let fear get in his way. Can I do less?”

“Steps?”, I said, “But I’m not an alcoholic.” He gave me a knowing look. “Maybe not. Some end up saying alcohol was never the problem- true for me also. Ultimately the problem is up here.” he said, tapping the side of his head.

I couldn’t help but laugh- first time in ages, it almost hurt. “Yeah, got it in one. I’ll try.” He smiled and his face lit up like a small wrinkly sun.

I straightened the bed, got out of those stinking clothes and took a shower in the shockingly decrepit but mostly working bathroom. Took me all of 5 seconds to wrap myself in a blanket and fall asleep on the most comfortable bed in the universe.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Chapter 5

Tom did show up every day, bringing burritos then tacos then other savories. Today was tacos again- “This town is pretty empty, so I go to the meetings over in the hispanic neighborhoods- ” he said, “they have some solid recovery going over there. “ Seeing my sharp look up he continued “Don't worry I only told them I was working with a new guy- the ladies there insisted on giving me these to feed you.” He smiled at that, “Yeah, reminds me of the old days here. It was a family of four generations of addicts and whatnot, the old man coming from the first days of AA. They made sure the new guys were fed too. But they all passed away and moved on.. I don't have the money to run the place but I do try and keep it open, to remember them. One of the grandsons was my sponsor back then.”

He paused for a moment, clearly overtaken with emotion. “I owe you” he said, “for back there on the tracks. Sometimes age and memories weigh me down and I fall into old habits.”

“Was happy to to be there- to do something to help for once.”

“Yeah..” he replied, “I get that. Listen, its pretty clear you don't have the monkey on your back- so maybe there isn't a lot program work we can do. Sure not asking you to leave or nothing, but I do wonder whats coming up behind you. Maybe it would help to talk about it?”

Looking at his earnest wrinkled, human face I couldn't help but answer a little at least. “Technically, I'm a prince” I opened sardonically to cover my own emotion, “but such a claim is an instant death sentence in some places. Better to not say a lot I suppose... but what I said before is true- I did get involved in some things, now I'm a loose end that knows too much. Its not a fairy tale... I.. have some things to answer for. Theres no cavalry to rescue me and no throne to recover. But I'd rather not die. And I worry that when they come, you might be in the way.”

Tom pondered a bit, then resumed, “We had some mob guys in for a while.. they talked like you- no details...” My laugh startled us both, “Ha! Ah.. yes royalty is a fine masquerade for crime. The grander the palace the darker the deeds- oh so true”. I paused, compelled by the moment to say more, “Its not just the killers after me, there are others... I don't know who or why. One of them did this to me- “, I bloomed my fingers and regretted it instantly. He jumped back, panicked, pale as a sheet- “Wwwhat the f!” and backed towards the door.

“Wait, please!” I knew I'd blown it... this guy was now surely doomed- they'd have him in pieces to learn anything at all. “Tom- I said too much... I'm sorry. Time I left- and you should be gone too.”

He stood there looking at me. “Yeah maybe don't f' around with me. I don't know what you're about or what the f' you are.”

I got the hint- “You're right. I can't stay. I'll leave now.. Tom, I'm...” but there he was with his earnest human face afraid... defiant, honest. “Its no payment for all this, but I am grateful- you're the first kind person I've met in some time.”

Still as a post, he eased a bit.. “Who are you?” he asked. “Maybe better to not say more Tom. But yes, my kingdom such as it might have been, is... elsewhere... elsewhen...” He looked a bit confused. So I continued, “Please- for your own sake.. leave for a while, I'll be gone today. And thank the ladies for the food” I put a few bills down on the desk.

He stiffened- “Don't want your money “ he began. I sighed inwardly, “F' it always the old habits, buying off the innocent.”

“Tom, yeah- I'm the problem here. I can't make anything better this way. Maybe just use it for the program” He glanced at the money then back to me, but grabbed it “Yeah... Good luck.” and he turned and walked out through the doorway.

I had never felt so craven walking out of that place.. a good man there and I'm running again because of my big mouth. I made the tracks and walked west along them through the night, before dawn I turned off onto an abandoned siding, then a weedy forlorn back road and tried to get lost among the crickets and tree frogs.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Chapter 6
--------------------------------------

A long time on the road changes one's view- once I got tired enough and hungry enough it was time to consider options. I did some detective work first, getting to the world among the crowds of tourists and refugees; circulating, listening, pushed around by the police... waiting for a hunter to show up but none did. The refuge I had in mind was reachable by available transportation and unique in the list of those genetically imprinted on my mind, the so-called Oasis; once an imperial getaway, now apparently a tourist destination but still operating and staffed. So I eventually made my way there, paid the entrance fee and got on the elevator.

Down and down for a while, before the full car halted and doors opened and we filed out. The brochures never do such things justice; overselling or under. Here it was undersold. A huge cavern opened out around me, sun-dappled ground beneath shifting clouds and mists always partially obscuring the distant rocky ceiling. The brochure said a transparent crystalline matrix extended up through the planet's surface, forming a clear mountain range that captures the daylight & reflects it down into the cavern- unique in the known galaxy. I was transfixed by its sheer unlikely beauty. Leave it to Imperial arrogance to turn such a place into a private residence. I was pleased to see tourists walking the paths others might call sacred.

The air was humid and fragrant with scents of flowers- evoking happy memories of childhood gardens on other worlds. A gravel path between guide ropes led off to my right, so I walked along with the group- seeing other clusters of tourists coming and going. Out beyond the ropes, long hilly meadows undulated out to the far wall, certainly well over several miles, here and there covered in forest. I set out along the path towards the reception center amid the meadow sparkling with dew, my plan being to make the secret signals and see if anything happened.

I ordered coffee and a roll at the center's cafe, formerly the royal pavillion, and spent a while watching the sun and mists waft over the meadows, thinking of other places and times. When the waiter came by to pick up the dishes and left the bill in a small tray, I saw the all-clear symbols. So I paid in cash and walked to the bathroom. As protocol indicated I found a door inadvertently left open by the cleaning staff which was closed a moment after I passed through, then several more left open routing me through a series of unoccupied offices and hallways. I went through the proper doors, closing each behind me, noting each automatically locked. I had to perform my part of the procedure for the unseen watchers evaluating me as much as I did them; here a mistake means instant death. The last door left me in a bare room, empty but for a table with a man seated behind.

I faced him and gave the final password, “Thank you Vizier”. He relaxed back into his chair, inclined his head and smiled wryly, “Welcome your Highness. Alas circumstances preclude the remainder of the the procedure.”. I nodded. He motioned to a chair on my side of the table, and I sat.

“I will not trouble you with requesting a long stay. I'm grateful for the patience you've shown, and I have no way to repay it. I have been running, some things have been happening. I was hoping for news, perhaps counsel, a bed and shower- some better clothes, and then a quick departure before attracting notice. I have no authority to ask for anything I just mentioned- all that is past.”

“It has your Highness, but I swore to obey the forms and so will do so even if just for my own conscience. We should talk elsewhere, please follow me.” He stood and glanced to a corner of the room- the door unlocked and swung into the room, only then I noticed the lack of any knob or latch on the inside. Thorough.. my skin crawled a bit knowing something of their detailed preparations. He stepped out and I followed into the empty hallway. It was a moments walk to a service elevator door which slid open as we approached.

Once the door closed, instead of moving the far wall of the car immediately swung outward into another hallway, this one occupied with several office workers and technicians. “Please follow me Excellency”, he turned and walked through with me in tow. The elevator's wall immediately swing closed with a quiet click and the elevator was already in motion downwards as the hallway door closed upon it.

This time we took stairs upwards, each flight grander than the last, leaving us in the palatial old Imperial main chamber, looking out on the cavern's sunny sparkling meadows through floor-to-ceiling crystal clear armor plate as thick as a man was tall. The air was fresh and fragrant, somehow ducted through the siege shielded ventilation systems.

He turned and bowed “Excellency, welcome to the old Imperial Oasis Bastion, I am Site Operator Regio.” I couldn't help but acknowledge his sincerity in return, though every word was a lie, “May the Light of the Empire shine forever.” We were both silent for a moment, then I began, “I should not stay long, I am being hunted by several parties- some I know, ex-Imperial assassins and bounty hunters and some I do not- Wilders perhaps. A pair called “The Two Brothers” found me and imposed some kind of augmentation”, I bloomed my fingers a bit, pulled them back in and he blinked in surprise. “Ah” he said, “the perimeter sensors picked up your gene codes at once but a variety of anomalous readings made findings inconclusive. Excellency, I suggest this is something needing study, there may be a variety of latent effects. But you mentioned assassins. I believe we need not be unduly concerned about that here- we have retained our full Centurion squad. They are still active, but in this interregnum the local surface authorities were uncomfortable with their armament and mobility. That negotiation was very nuanced but I do have the impression the Centurions know exactly where and how their equipment is stored and can obtain it at will. Nevertheless they maintain their end of the agreement on station here.”

He trailed off and then continued diffidently- “As you see we have tourists now.. to meet our budget we began renting the Royal Quarters to those who wish to stay there.. as it happens they are in considerable demand..” He trailed off, alarmed, as I burst out laughing the at the audacity, a royal bastion as hotel! It took me a few moments to regain my composure- “Operator Regio, that is the best thing I've heard in some time. Some value to come for others from the so-often accursed royal line, ahh that is a good for us all. I hope you find it profitable?”

He glanced at me, still registering concern; “Since the facility is mostly self-sufficient operating costs are relatively low. We maintain our account balances with nominal cash reserve, paying staff and vendors, and a considerable tax rate to the surface authority. A steady cash flow goes a long way to smooth relations with them.” I smiled still, the gloom of homelessness at bay for the moment- “I certainly am not in a position to rent any of those rooms. Perhaps a staff room or similar, anything like that, if I may stay for a short time?” He looked relieved, “There will be no difficulty”, then blinked and looked toward the far end of the room, “We have a visitor”, and in a moment I saw him too.

A Centurion Alpha strode through the doorway, unarmed and unhelmeted. Ah, such a sight never ceases to cause me exhilaration and a touch of fear. All of them, but the Alphas the mightiest. Nearly twice a man's height and of commensurate size, shaven smooth brown skin face and hands the rest covered in lightweight conformal armor plate as thick as a regular man's forearm is long. He moved entirely silently on quantum-bonding boots that would give him purchase on melting ice as easily as concrete- a product of 5,000 years of genetic tuning and augmentation, he strode like fate incarnate towards us. In other times I commanded armies of them, putting planets to the sword in the name of Empire, leaving behind nothing but burning ruins and the dead... but those days were over, thankfully.

The Alpha reached us and halted, saluted Regio then looked at me, gave a blink of surprise and slammed into a rigid full Royal Salute, a perfect image of rock hard muscle and ferocity. “By Your Command!” he intoned- Regio jumped, terrified, only just now realizing his peril. Override loyalty to the royal line was genetically encoded into all Centurions, precluding all other concerns- the ultimate tool of the old Empire. With a word I could put much if not the whole surface world under my absolute dominion. “Centurion, as you were.” was all I said and the crackling tension eased. The Alpha relaxed into a merely dominating presence as I returned his salute.

Regio, still pale, swallowed and took a deep breath, “Centurion, the Royal is incognito and wishes to remain so. He has informed me that he is pursued by ex-Empire Assassins and possibly Wilders. Maintain usual security policy but inform us of any such detected here or on the surface. Augment your response to protect the facility, personnel and guests.” He glanced at me, I replied “Thank you Site Operator.” The Alpha saluted me first, then Regio, each of us reciprocated, he spun on his heel and stalked away as quietly as he had arrived.

“Your Highness, please allow me to conduct you to your quarters” Regio began. I held up a hand, “Please let us not go there” I interrupted, “these old Empire protocols are past and I have no claims to any such hospitality.” He looked pained but nodded, “Of course. Perhaps one of the minor functionary suites? They have private dining facilities, laundry service and views out into the Oasis.” I nodded and smiled, “That is perfect, and thank you Regio.” I watched him suppress his discomfort and he replied in the role of host “Very well sir, if you will follow me?”

Return to “Creative Writing”