Tata1

Re: No guru, no dzogchen?

Post by Tata1 »

Jules 09 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:54 pm
Tata1 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:15 am
Jules 09 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:15 pm

ject wrote:

Tata1 wrote:

If ject is, as stated, "completely oblivious to my "real condition and potentiality" ",
what exactly is it that "will mature with time" ?
The recognition of his own state.
99% of people dont get it during DI, but applying the methods eventually they do
We know you are chigcharwa jules, dont worry🤭
99% of people dont get it during DI, but applying the methods eventually they do
So, you appear to be saying that 99% of people that receive DI (Dzogchen Community terminology), are not able to actually practice Dzogchen, as per the Three Statements of Garab Dorje, until some time later when they "eventually" recognize what it was that the guru was actually pointing at. ?

I can somewhat agree with that.

However, most practitioners that I've known, have continued to receive teachings and pointing out instructions many times over a period of several, if not many, years. That has also been my own experience.
No. In saying 99% of the people in any sangha who receive pointing out instructions dont get confindence in the view soy they have to apply methods to re introduce themselves again and again until they gain certainty (which is the first point).

Pretty basic standard dzogchen practice procedure
Jules 09

Post by Jules 09 »

Tata1 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:26 pm

So, you appear to be saying that 99% of people that receive DI (Dzogchen Community terminology), are not able to actually practice Dzogchen, as per the Three Statements of Garab Dorje, until some time later when they "eventually" recognize what it was that the guru was actually pointing at. ?

However, most practitioners that I've known, have continued to receive teachings and pointing out instructions many times over a period of several, if not many, years. That has also been my own experience.
No. In saying 99% of the people in any sangha who receive pointing out instructions dont get confindence in the view soy they have to apply methods to re introduce themselves again and again until they gain certainty (which is the first point).

So, now you appear to be saying that 99% of people in any sangha do actually recognize rigpa the very first time they receive pointing out instructions, but they don't gain confidence in that recognition. ?

However, ject did not say that, at all.

ject wrote:
In the last event? I cant recall receiving any instructions to have a direct experience or being introduced to my nature.
I have never participated in any of his events before so maybe it was there but I completely missed it.
Or maybe I did not understand the translator etc.
It is also possible that I am confused about the terminology. :)
I am also completely oblivious to my "real condition and potentiality".
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

True for Mahamudra as well.
In that tradition, subsequent introductions can be useful, and also, once one has "gotten it," one can recognize even prior attempts that failed. In other words, the words and gestures, symbols, etc. used have often been heard before, seen before, etc., but for a number of reasons the "tendrel" was not there for the Introduction to "stick."

Jules, he's saying 99% do NOT get it. I would agree, though not sure about the actual percentage.....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Jules 09 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:24 pm

So, now you appear to be saying that 99% of people in any sangha do actually recognize rigpa the very first time they receive pointing out instructions, but they don't gain confidence in that recognition. ?

ject wrote:
In the last event? I cant recall receiving any instructions to have a direct experience or being introduced to my nature.
I have never participated in any of his events before so maybe it was there but I completely missed it.
I really dont understand what you dont understand.
Its quite easy, you go to a teacher, he gives pointing out instructions, you dont know wtf happened, you apply the methods given to you by the teacher, you eventually start to get glimpses, this glimpses become more often, you go beyond doubt...etc
krodha

Post by krodha »

Tata1 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:05 pm

ject wrote:
Its quite easy, you go to a teacher, he gives pointing out instructions, you dont know wtf happened, you apply the methods given to you by the teacher, you eventually start to get glimpses, this glimpses become more often, you go beyond doubt...etc
Same thing Dudjom Rinpoche said:
  • A Dzogchen Master starts with "direct introduction" with everyone. If they don't "get it" then one starts to use all the infinite methods and means to help bring about the experience of Rigpa. When one has the experience of Rigpa, then one confirms the validity of one's path now being "remaining with Rigpa" as path. Then, one simply continues in that state.
Jules 09

Post by Jules 09 »

conebeckham wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:00 pm

True for Mahamudra as well.
In that tradition, subsequent introductions can be useful, and also, once one has "gotten it," one can recognize even prior attempts that failed. In other words, the words and gestures, symbols, etc. used have often been heard before, seen before, etc., but for a number of reasons the "tendrel" was not there for the Introduction to "stick."

Jules, he's saying 99% do NOT get it. I would agree, though not sure about the actual percentage.....
Jules, he's saying 99% do NOT get it.
Yes, that's why they/we can't practice the Second Vital Point of Garab Dorje, "Deciding on one thing, and one thing only", aka gom (becoming accustomed to,), until one does actually "get it", which is The First Vital Point. And that rarely happens the first time a person receives the pointing out instructions (DI).
Jules 09

Post by Jules 09 »

ject wrote:
If you don't get a glimpse when the teacher points, then you won't know what to glimpse when you apply the methods given by the teacher.

Is that clear enough?
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

krodha wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:22 pm

ject wrote:

• A Dzogchen Master starts with "direct introduction" with everyone. If they don't "get it" then one starts to use all the infinite methods and means to help bring about the experience of Rigpa. When one has the experience of Rigpa, then one confirms the validity of one's path now being "remaining with Rigpa" as path. Then, one simply continues in that state.
Where is that quoate from?
heart

Post by heart »

ject wrote:

I doubt that is a quote.
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

My understanding is that, diligence etc. towards the lineage and Guru create the possibility of recognition in one’s mindstream via DI and subsequent methods applied on one’s own. The term usually used is “blessing” but that’s maybe somewhat inaccurate as it describes a one way relationship.

It may not be a sufficient condition, but it’s definitely a necessary one.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
krodha

Post by krodha »

heart wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:44 pm

I doubt that is a quote.
It is from his text on the three statements of Garab Dorje.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

krodha wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:08 am
I doubt that is a quote.
Which text? Which page? I searched for the quoted text, and I found the following: http://dudjom.blogspot.com/2008/03/on-t ... dorje.html

Then, when I searched for any of the text from either three statements on that link, I was given plenty of results that indicated that that's a translation by John Myrdhin Reynolds, from "The Golden Letters".

But the quote starting with "That is pure Dzogchen Atiyoga" however, was nowhere to be found on other sites also citing the very same verses by Dudjom Rinpoche as translated by Reynolds. I also checked the book itself, "The Golden Letters", and I can't find it next to those verses. Perhaps it's in the book somewhere, but I browsed through all the pages related to Dudjom Rinpoche and didn't see it, nor did I see it elsewhere there.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

I doubt that is a quote.
Thanks. Sounded familiar.
heart

Post by heart »

I doubt that is a quote.
I doubt that what you quote is a part of the text.
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
ject

Post by ject »

ject wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:14 am
... Now that you have received transmission from YSN, you can purchase these books and learn from them....

no further required transmissions other than a direct introduction.
They way I understand this is that "oral transmission" is not the same as "direct introduction" and what I need now is to get the actual direct introduction.

I am sure, you all have read Guruyoga, chapter "Direct Introduction and How Mental Constructions Collapse", by Namkhai Norbu :
In Dzogchen, transmission is indispensible for introduction, and the direct introduction I received that day from Changchub Dorje, and continued to receive throughout the time I spent with him, was typical for the way in which the Dzogchen teaching has been transmitted from master to disciple since the time of the first Dzogchen teacher of our era. In fact, through his visions, Garab Dorje received the transmission directly from the sambhogakaya dimension.
Shaiksha

Post by Shaiksha »

heart wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:48 am I doubt that what you quote is a part of the text.
Here is the actual quote (which I literally copy and paste):

That is pure Dzogchen Atiyoga. A Dzogchen Master STARTS with "direct introduction" with everyone. If they don't "get it" then one starts to use all the infinite methods and means to help bring about the experience of Rigpa. When one has the experience of Rigpa, then one confirms the validity of one's path now being "remaining with Rigpa" as path. Then, one simply continues in that state. Rigpa is the view to be experienced, Rigpa is the path to be followed, and Rigpa is the fruit of the path. There is no change in Rigpa, either in the beginning, middle or end. The fruit is your first realization of Rigpa. There are no Stages of Rigpa. Thogel does not modify Rigpa.

from this website:

https://dudjom.blogspot.com/2008/03/on- ... dorje.html

Though, there is no way I can confirm that they were actually coming from dudjom Rinpoche.

Edit: Sorry, Norwegian has already provided the link above and made the comment. If I dare to speculate, it is probably not from Dudjom Rinpoche but from CNNR.
Last edited by Shaiksha on Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
heart

Post by heart »

Shaiksha wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:59 am
heart wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:48 am I doubt that what you quote is a part of the text.
Here is the actual quote (which I literally copy and paste):

That is pure Dzogchen Atiyoga. A Dzogchen Master STARTS with "direct introduction" with everyone. If they don't "get it" then one starts to use all the infinite methods and means to help bring about the experience of Rigpa. When one has the experience of Rigpa, then one confirms the validity of one's path now being "remaining with Rigpa" as path. Then, one simply continues in that state. Rigpa is the view to be experienced, Rigpa is the path to be followed, and Rigpa is the fruit of the path. There is no change in Rigpa, either in the beginning, middle or end. The fruit is your first realization of Rigpa. There are no Stages of Rigpa. Thogel does not modify Rigpa.

from this website:

https://dudjom.blogspot.com/2008/03/on- ... dorje.html

Though, there is no way I can confirm that they were actually coming from dudjom Rinpoche.

Edit: Sorry, Norwegian has already provided the link above and made the comment. If I dare to speculate, it is probably not from Dudjom Rinpoche but from CNNR.
https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... hree-words
~Kurt Vonnegut

Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

ject wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:01 am
... Now that you have received transmission from YSN, you can purchase these books and learn from them....

They way I understand this is that "oral transmission" is not the same as "direct introduction" and what I need now is to get the actual direct introduction.

I am sure, you all have read Guruyoga, chapter "Direct Introduction and How Mental Constructions Collapse", by Namkhai Norbu :
In Dzogchen, transmission is indispensible for introduction, and the direct introduction I received that day from Changchub Dorje, and continued to receive throughout the time I spent with him, was typical for the way in which the Dzogchen teaching has been transmitted from master to disciple since the time of the first Dzogchen teacher of our era. In fact, through his visions, Garab Dorje received the transmission directly from the sambhogakaya dimension.
He gave everything, you are lacking anything.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

There are always going to be problems when talking of these matters on an online forum. I don’t mean because they come into the “secret” category, but because subtleties are not possible. It doesn’t mean that the discussion should not happen, but with caveats. Best in person whenever possible I think.
Jules 09

Post by Jules 09 »

ject wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:01 am

ject wrote:
what I need now is to get the actual direct introduction.
Yes.

ject wrote:

In Dzogchen, transmission is indispensible for introduction, and the direct introduction I received that day from Changchub Dorje, and continued to receive throughout the time I spent with him, was typical for the way in which the Dzogchen teaching has been transmitted from master to disciple since the time of the first Dzogchen teacher of our era.
"transmission is indispensible for introduction"

Yes indeed,
To relax means to have no concepts.
It does not mean that you become like a stone , or that you are without consciousness. You are present and aware of everything , but you are not making judgements. In that moment you are beyond time and space. This is the state of Ati Guru Yoga.

Then, at some point, maybe you think “Am I relaxed or not?” Or maybe some other thought arises in your mind. At that moment you do not do anything, you just relax with that thought. You do not follow it, nor do you try to block it. You try to continue in that state as much as possible.

This is what it means to work with the transmission, which is like an electrical current that is indispensable to turn on that inner light. If the power is off, the light does not come on. The practice of Guru Yoga is the essence of all transmissions.

You are not always aware of that inner light that you experienced during or after receiving direct transmission from the teacher. But if you discovered your real condition, you have what is called the Base. This is the first step.

Of course, just that first experience is not enough , we should try to have it more often, becoming familiar with it , until one day we will be in that state all the time. How do we do that? First of all, we can practice meditation.

When we say “I do meditation”, it is always a concept. There is something on which to meditate. But in the Dzogchen teaching, we do not apply meditation in a conceptual way. We just train ourselves to be in our real nature: we sit comfortably in a quiet place, do Guru Yoga and rest in that state.

When you try and be in that state day after day, you become more familiar with it. in this way, you become more and more free. When you are in that state always, day and night, you are completely free from transmigration in samsara. This is called enlightenment, or realization. We are no longer slaves to our emotions and dualistic condition: This is how we should apply the teaching.

- Chogyal Namkhai Norbu
Starting the Evolution

:namaste:

Return to “Dzogchen”