No guru, no dzogchen?

ject

Re: No guru, no dzogchen?

Post by ject »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:08 pm
ject wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:30 pm
Now it seems, there is no way around it because it's a part and parcel of getting dzogchen-teaching.
How would you expect to receive Dzogchen teachings without a teacher?
My bet was on books and meditation but that blew up.
Terma wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:17 am :rolling:
rai wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:46 am and once you find a Guru never visit Dharmawheel Dzogchen subforum again to avoid confusion and wasting time
I do think that there is a partial truth to this.
Yes.

This forum sure ruined my illusion of getting by with printed words. LOL. I rather liked it. Now it's gone and I have to go lama chasing. That is a depressing thought.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

rai wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:46 am and once you find a Guru never visit Dharmawheel Dzogchen subforum again to avoid confusion and wasting time
Read only Malcolm's posts and you'll benefit greatly imo.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

ject wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:46 am
Dechen Norbu wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:27 pm Is it problematic for you finding a teacher?
Not really, if I am willing to travel and manage to get past of all the self appointed gate keepers.
Dechen Norbu wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:27 pm You can read some introductory books to spike your interest, but eventually you will have to meet a teacher to receive direct introduction and guidance. Otherwise you won't know what to do and you'll make no progress.
I have read few but at some point it all started to feel a bit repetitive.
I just got a copy of the "Our Pristine Mind" so I'll start reading it today.
Dechen Norbu wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:27 pm There are some teachers giving instructions and seminars online.
That would be awesome. Don't be shy, name a few. You are welcome to send me a DM, if you do not want advertise them here. US west coast is out of the question because of the time difference.
Our Pristine Mind is a great book. It'll give you a real feel and you'll get to practice useful meditation on the basis of it. But it can't serve as a basis for Dzogchen itself. You'll need to connect with a teacher for that. Like the book's author for example.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

ject wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:21 pm Now it's gone and I have to go lama chasing. That is a depressing thought.
Think of it as more like meeting an old friend from a past life.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Wait till you read the dzogchen reddit.... :rolleye:
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
FieldBob

Post by FieldBob »

If you can find a guru thats great, but...
Self Liberation You liberate your self thats ur real nature. Rigpa. Gnosis. You need initiation to the recognition of the nature of mind.

Who is guru when the knowledge is intrinsic in you?
What is a guru if you are self liberating?
What will Guru give you if you have everything you need?

a scuba diver master can teach you how to scuba dive, thats it! the rest is your diving experience.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Not possible if one had relevant experience. Another reason to not to read dzogchen teachings and talks without knowing dzogchen in first place.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
FieldBob

Post by FieldBob »

I would stick to this.
Last edited by FieldBob on Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
justsit

Post by justsit »

FieldBob wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:12 pm
I would stick to this.
And yet here you are. :tongue:
Unless you don't have a guru....
Dawa Ösel

Post by Dawa Ösel »

Maybe the most valuable post in the entire forum
ject

Post by ject »

Archie2009 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:53 pm
Our Pristine Mind is a great book. It'll give you a real feel and you'll get to practice useful meditation on the basis of it. But it can't serve as a basis for Dzogchen itself. You'll need to connect with a teacher for that. Like the book's author for example.
[/quote]
Thought about it for a moment. He is in Pacific time zone, meaning I cant participate in any of his live events.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Dawa Ösel wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:03 pm
As someone observed above, yet here you are.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

It’s good advice if you don’t yet have confidence in your own teachers and recognition, but overly cautious if you do.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

ject wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:11 am I have been reading books about dzogchen and if I understand it correctly - if one has no wish to find a guru, there is no point in studding the subject, unless it's for research or something academical like that.
Since you have read books on Dzogchen and have taken an interest in Dzogchen, then one can’t say that without a teacher it’s worthless to read books about Dzogchen. I doubt there are too many people who practice Dzogchen who didn’t take an interest in Dzogchen after first reading about Dzogchen.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
justsit

Post by justsit »

ject wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:54 pm ...
Thought about it for a moment. He is in Pacific time zone, meaning I cant participate in any of his live events.
How badly do you want the teachings?

Since most of us here do not have the merit to have access to a Dzogchen master when it's convenient. we must make some sacrifices. I'm guessing many here know people who have quit their jobs and moved across country, or made a 10 hour drive after working all day, or spent a fortune to stay for three days in NYC, or flown halfway around the world to get to a teaching or receive a blessing.

Obstacles - sometimes big ones - will arise, it's part of our karma. If you really, really want a guru, you may have to climb some metaphorical mountains to find them.
Sharp

Post by Sharp »

justsit wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:55 pm
ject wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:54 pm ...
How badly do you want the teachings?

Since most of us here do not have the merit to have access to a Dzogchen master when it's convenient. we must make some sacrifices. I'm guessing many here know people who have quit their jobs and moved across country, or made a 10 hour drive after working all day, or spent a fortune to stay for three days in NYC, or flown halfway around the world to get to a teaching or receive a blessing.

Obstacles - sometimes big ones - will arise, it's part of our karma. If you really, really want a guru, you may have to climb some metaphorical mountains to find them.
:good:
Dawa Ösel

Post by Dawa Ösel »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:57 pm
As someone observed above, yet here you are.
Yes, i got some spare time and my confidence in my root Guru is pretty big, so no worries
Last edited by Dawa Ösel on Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terma

Post by Terma »

jet.urgyen wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:09 pm
Not possible if one had relevant experience. Another reason to not to read dzogchen teachings and talks without knowing dzogchen in first place.
My response was for the most part light hearted humour.

I think the most important thing is for one's experience to lead their practice. And this is where a teacher is indispensable along the way, in order to guide, re-direct, etc.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

As PadmaVonSamba said, your interest in reading and studying Dzogchen is a sign of some sort of karmic affiliation. Better to keep reading and trying to understand than giving up on it altogether because you can't immediately find a teacher. Anyway, real Dzogchen masters are not common, even though a lot of people have or claim to have the qualifications these days. Best not spend all your money chasing a certain one until you are sure he or she is not only qualified, but has the ability to teach.

Really, though, true practice of Dzogchen can't be just a spare time occupation. To really plumb its depths, it has to be primary in your life, and not just externally.
muni

Post by muni »

There are often masters pointing out or should I say "inviting in nature ", while here talks run.

It is perhaps useful to have the merits to recognize they talk as being nature?
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA

Return to “Dzogchen”