Memories of lost and hidden lands

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Lingpupa

Memories of lost and hidden lands

Post by Lingpupa »

I'd love to get hold of a copy of "Memories of lost and hidden lands : the life story of Garje Khamtrul Rinpoche", but can't find one in any format. Has anybody either got one for sale (to Italy) or know where I might find one?
Thanks in advance!
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
rainbow_light

Re: Memories of lost and hidden lands

Post by rainbow_light »

Hi Lingpupa,

It looks like the book is purchasable from the Vajra Publications website.

The documentary film of the same name is available on Amazon.com. You'll need a US card to rent/buy this. A virtual US card can be acquired through several online providers, e.g. US Unlocked.
kunsel

Post by kunsel »

Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Thanks both of you!
The shortish film is on YouTube. To be honest, unexciting: they should have found a better narrator.
I don't suppose anyone has experience of that bookshop?
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Lingpupa wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:46 am Thanks both of you!
The shortish film is on YouTube. To be honest, unexciting: they should have found a better narrator.
I don't suppose anyone has experience of that bookshop?
I do, and I would urge you not to waste your time. I bought a book a few years ago. Never received it. The money disappeared, and nothing else happened. I suspect the shop is dead, but for whatever reason transactions are still possible.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Well thanks for the warning, treehugger. I asked a friend of mine who spends half of every year in Kathmandu, and he wrote a *glowing* answer - "...great bookshop, still open in thamel, publishes great books all the time, I’ve heard he’s good with shipping. He carries my poetry book there & I bought several books from him last month."

So I e-mailed to confirm the book was available, received a prompt reply, and have placed my order. It's comforting to know that they know that I know someone who will come to their front door if anything goes wrong!

I'll let you know how it goes, but so far your bad experience is the only one I heard of yet.

Crossed-fingers!

AW

PS For those on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bidur.dangol.5?mibextid=LQQJ4d
All best wishes

gelukman

Post by gelukman »

I made a preorder a book from vajrabooks. He dont reply any more to emails.
I believe that I will receive the book, but one never know.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

The shop has replied - promptly and correctly - to my emails.
All best wishes

ratna

Post by ratna »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:23 pm
I do, and I would urge you not to waste your time. I bought a book a few years ago. Never received it. The money disappeared, and nothing else happened. I suspect the shop is dead, but for whatever reason transactions are still possible.
Same thing happened to me ten years ago. The order didn't arrive, then they claimed to have sent a replacement, which also didn't arrive. But they were communicative and I got a refund. Maybe it's an issue with postal services in Nepal.
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

ratna wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:56 am
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:23 pm
Same thing happened to me ten years ago. The order didn't arrive, then they claimed to have sent a replacement, which also didn't arrive. But they were communicative and I got a refund. Maybe it's an issue with postal services in Nepal.
I have just been rummaging through my emails to check what actually happened. I got no order confirmation, and the book did not arrive within some two weeks of my placing the order. I wrote to VB, got no reply, wrote again a few days later, and was told that the book had been sent, and there may be a delay. I waited two more weeks, wrote, got no reply, waited one more week, wrote the fourth time. No response. I gave up.

It was 2016, though, a lot might have changed since then.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

So guys, here's the scoop. My experience - we know others varied. I risked going with the views of other friends who had positive views.
In a word: perfect. Several emails back and forth - all helpful, polite and prompt. Order placed, book shipped. The only hitch was a two-day delay in the FedEx system on the ground at this end. And IT'S HERE in perfect condition. Possibly the last commercially available copy on the planet!
:smile: :smile: :smile:
All best wishes

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”