Healthy desire and attachment

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Healthy desire and attachment

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Rick wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:43 am
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:38 pm
Rick wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:10 pm Maybe I am being too cynical, but isn't there (almost) always a self-stroking aspect to even the most Mother Theresa-full thoughts and actions?
Do you mean always at least a hint of self-grasping? Not always.
Almost always. Is there almost always at least a hint of (conscious or unconscious) self-congratulatory "I'm a good person, I'm doing the right thing" when we perform a good deed?
If one meditates enough the self cherishing attitude becomes fairly distinct from one motivated by compassion, etc.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Rick wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:28 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:56 pm
Rick wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:28 pm What about desire, the desire to alleviate suffering say?
The way one of my teachers explained this it is a wholesome desire, but is still eventually given up. You could maybe frame the question in the light of ultimate and relative Bodhicitta.
I wondered about this. Is ultimate bodhicitta without desire, i.e. does an 'ultimate bodhisattva' alleviate suffering without any desire to do so?
Yes, an “ultimate Bodhisattva” is a Buddha, they are done with the whole deal, have no desire and act spontaneously for the benefit of beings, in a very general Mahayana sense.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Rick wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:10 pm Maybe I am being too cynical, but isn't there (almost) always a self-stroking aspect to even the most Mother Theresa-full thoughts and actions?
Bodhicitta is clean clear. Like presented with an option in a situation follow self grasping or act with bodhichitta.

My experience is I'm just happy bodhichitta is becoming more and more of a stronger factor
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Rick wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:28 am I wondered about this. Is ultimate bodhicitta without desire, i.e. does an 'ultimate bodhisattva' alleviate suffering without any desire to do so?
Do you have a conscious desire to not suffocate or do you just inhale and exhale throughout the day naturally, effortlessly, without thinking “I’m breathing!”?
:rolling:
For a Bodhisattva, it’s as natural as that.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
master of puppets

Post by master of puppets »

I think one of the main misunderstanding in understanding the bodhisattva mind, style is;

that a bodhisattva style is not limited with doing good to people at first hand like in mother Teresa style.

you can live your life on its own flow and do good at the same time in a most ordinary way. by a strong bodhicitta.

pls correct me if this is not an ordinary (standart) bodhisattva style.
Last edited by master of puppets on Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

master of puppets wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:27 pm

I think one of the main misunderstanding in understanding the bodhisattva mind, style is;

that a bodhisattva style is not limited with doing good to people at first hand like in mother Teresa style.

you can live your life on its own flow and do good at the same time in a most ordinary way. by a strong bodhicitta.

pls correct me if this is not an ordinary (standart) bodhisattva style.
Just have the aspiration that all of your actions benefit others.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
master of puppets

yes, ı think what makes the subject interesting is to have many ways to do it
master of puppets

may be the flow of the pure wisdom

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”