The ethics when receiving lung transmission?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
gelukman

The ethics when receiving lung transmission?

Post by gelukman »

When lung transmission takes for weeks, months.
Would it be ok to listen to the lung transmission and same time read buddhists texts
from laptop?
Lingpupa

Re: The ethics when receiving lung transmission?

Post by Lingpupa »

No. You may very well not understand it, but we most have open ears and a devoted heart, otherwise it's rhubarb rhubarb, not a lung.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

gelukman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:50 am When lung transmission takes for weeks, months.
Would it be ok to listen to the lung transmission and same time read buddhists texts
from laptop?
Why would you want to anyway? Relaxed and aware and gently focused is the aim.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

And don't forget the five perfections or certainties: Teacher, teaching, place, time, and listeners.

MNy Teacher also taught to visualize the lung coming from the Teacher's mouth in the form of five-colored rainbow light which then enters one's ears, travels down the two side channels to the heart, and merges with one's heart chakra.

Last but not least, it's traditional (at least in some traditions) to keep one's hands held in prayer mudra.

IOW, receiving lung is an active practice.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

pemachophel wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:48 pm And don't forget the five perfections or certainties: Teacher, teaching, place, time, and listeners.

MNy Teacher also taught to visualize the lung coming from the Teacher's mouth in the form of five-colored rainbow light which then enters one's ears, travels down the two side channels to the heart, and merges with one's heart chakra.

Last but not least, it's traditional (at least in some traditions) to keep one's hands held in prayer mudra.

IOW, receiving lung is an active practice.
Quite so.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

This is one of the issues with online Lungs, easy to zone out.

I set up my altar room and try to put myself in the same mindset as if I were in person, as much as possible.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

One of my teachers has said that as long as you listen attentively you can read along with the text being transmitted. For example when receiving Tsongkhapa's collected works nearly all the monks read along although they didn't really need to read as they were focused on listening to the text.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

It depends. In the case of anuyoga oral transmission of methods (seed and essence only for example) they are all based on the student having already knowledge of the primordial state (tasted in direct introduction for example), if you have such knowledge then any anuyoga method will work without any doubt nor legitimacy questioning even. I understand this is the way my teacher ChNN transmitted the lungs, all of them transformation methods of the anuyoga style system.

The "ethics" being to be in present -not distracted- attentively hearing, as practitioners normally do.

I can't tell regarding other paths.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”