question

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
master of puppets

question

Post by master of puppets »

In any case do we keep (stay) neutral?
(physiologically, mentally, what so ever..)

_/\_
PadmaVonSamba

Re: question

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

master of puppets wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:46 pm In any case do we keep (stay) neutral?

_/\_
What is the meaning of “neutral” in this context?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
master of puppets

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:07 pm
master of puppets wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:46 pm In any case do we keep (stay) neutral?

_/\_
What is the meaning of “neutral” in this context?
today ı was at the hospital. get unconscious and worry with my health issues. and thoughts begin to re-cycle around my head. then remember to practice. and forget everything about and become neutral about anything.

that neutral practice mind is valid for every situation. ı think. really nothing tires a man more than worry!!!
jimwolfe81

Post by jimwolfe81 »

I think the usual term is equanimity. Sen Tsang spoke of not having preferences. I think once the mind is suitably balanced, it can be possible to remain like that without distancing and detachment. Otherwise, it's tricky.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

jimwolfe81 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:47 am I think the usual term is equanimity. Sen Tsang spoke of not having preferences. I think once the mind is suitably balanced, it can be possible to remain like that without distancing and detachment. Otherwise, it's tricky.
I think this answer is good (but then, I am a big fan of Sen Trang’s ‘believing in mind’).
It doesn’t mean you should never have feelings one way or another about something. For example, if someone is drowning you shouldn’t just think “oh well that’s just how it is” and walk away. The point is to not cling to one’s opinions. It’s important to remember that everything that happens is temporary.

But generally speaking, I think it’s true, and from my own experience I have found it true, that the less one gets tangled up in preferences about this or that, the less one will experience dukkha. I also was in the hospital for a major surgery a year and a half ago for a major surgery. There was a good chance I would die. But it is possible to naturally stay neutral even in that situation. So I did, and I am sure it helped.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
master of puppets

thank you both, just scratching some wisdom, you know.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”