No email contact to HE Garchen Rinpoche

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

No email contact to HE Garchen Rinpoche

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

So with a lot of sadness I'm making aspiration prayers to find a new guru to help me with this path.

I emailed HE Garchen Rinpoche for advice beginning of last autumn received no reply. Then his Translator gave me her email address wrote to her. Then months have gone by just nothing.

I've done my utmost with the path of practice day after day with what HEGR taught made a few mistakes definitely but strove through it.

Anyway a bit dejected about it.

I don't have a Sangha in my country at all I was dedicated to HEGR and there is no center here.

I did receive a lot of help from one of his Drupons based in Europe with certain style of practices.

He did write to me before maybe he is too old now so there's that.

:anjali:
Soma999

Re: HE Garchen Rinpoche

Post by Soma999 »

He can’t speak to each and everyone in flesh. He can does it in spirit. Do his guru yoga, and see what comes. He is one with you. If you look at him he looks at you. Even after his passing he will still act for the welfare of all. Keep a loving bond, and you can also connect with other teachers.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Soma999 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:56 am He can’t speak to each and everyone in flesh. He can does it in spirit. Do his guru yoga, and see what comes. He is one with you. If you look at him he looks at you. Even after his passing he will still act for the welfare of all. Keep a loving bond, and you can also connect with other teachers.
Thanks good point
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

There is one reason why I mentioned before that I miss the old good days of having private questions answers moments with rinpoche.

Those days are not coming back.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Kalavinka

Post by Kalavinka »

I have found that if I focus on what I want from my teacher(s) then I feel frustrated and lonely, but if I focus on what I have received from them I feel their love and blessings, and am very close to them.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Kalavinka wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:32 pm I have found that if I focus on what I want from my teacher(s) then I feel frustrated and lonely, but if I focus on what I have received from them I feel their love and blessings, and am very close to them.
:good:

It's interesting how easy it is to feel like we are missing that one special remedy when some of us are fortunate enough to have already stocked up on lots of other equally beneficial medicines.

On the topic of Garchen Rinpoche, can anyone confirm if he still holds the view that live webcasts and recordings of lungs are valid?

I know webcasts are less controversial nowadays but I believe there are still differences of opinions where recordings as concerned.This thread mentions his own words according to one of his translators but I wonder if it applies to all lungs or just a select few?

https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=40
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Kalavinka wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:32 pm I have found that if I focus on what I want from my teacher(s) then I feel frustrated and lonely, but if I focus on what I have received from them I feel their love and blessings, and am very close to them.
HEGR always taught to focus on others happiness as opposed to one's own happiness is key

It's the same kind of mental switch you're advocating

Anyway I'm just sad as it appears that my journey with HEGR has come to an end in its previous form

May all be auspicious
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Vasana wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:56 pmOn the topic of Garchen Rinpoche, can anyone confirm if he still holds the view that live webcasts and recordings of lungs are valid?
The official stance:
Garchen Rinpoche says that receiving any empowerment via live-stream (and even by watching the recorded videos), if combined with bodhichitta motivation, can be as beneficial as one’s physical presence.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:21 pm
Vasana wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:56 pmOn the topic of Garchen Rinpoche, can anyone confirm if he still holds the view that live webcasts and recordings of lungs are valid?
The official stance:
Garchen Rinpoche says that receiving any empowerment via live-stream (and even by watching the recorded videos), if combined with bodhichitta motivation, can be as beneficial as one’s physical presence.
Thanks! I need to now check if the specific text I'm looking at even has a lung on youtube. A commentary is available so I'll start there.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Vasana wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:56 pm
:good:

It's interesting how easy it is to feel like we are missing that one special remedy when some of us are fortunate enough to have already stocked up on lots of other equally beneficial medicines.
Got a point in one sense it's just attachment
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Soma999 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:56 am Keep a loving bond
Thats what I'll do ❤️
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

I will chime in just to share my view and add some context. I've followed Rinpoche since 2006/7.

As was mentioned before, the days of private interviews, even group interviews are over. The last private interview was 2018 / 19 ish. The last group interview was December 2019 / January 2020 ish. This is a choice of his handlers, not Rinpoche per se.

After covid there is little or no chance to even get within six feet of him, perhaps if you live on campus and do work-study for some time, or are employed there. But even then who knows.

Rinpoche does not answer emails, there are two or three people max that bring him questions and then record answers and write back an email of what he said. Imaging three, but mostly two people getting dozens and dozens of messages a day from thousands of students who all want their email answered, when you cant speak the language.

Rinpoche is mostly in retreat, he comes out for Sunday practices for the most part, other than that he is in his hut. It has been like that for at least three years now.

Having great devotion to this person as a Guru, and following his instructions the best you can will take you far. But we should be realistic with our circumstance. As we all know in Kagyu and Nyingma the Root Guru is who has introduced you tho the nature of your mind and you got it through their pointing out, through faith and unwavering devotion, through applying the methods given etc.

We need feedback from our teachers, as much as we can ( at least in my journey YMMV ) when we get stuck. The one on one teacher disciple relationship is very difficult with Lineage heads and big lamas. I don't mean you need to talk every week, but access when questions come up in some form. Namkhai Norbu was an example of someone who though you might not see often or meet in person much, you were still able to get pith answers quite quickly. He was a true blessing in that way.

If we have great devotion to a Guru who is not accessible, keeping our faith and devotion, applying the instructions, and maintaining samaya will take us far, but we need to find a seasoned practitioner or another qualified teacher who we connect with. This person can helps untie the knots of doubt and guide us when we think we got something, but we really don't.

Following our "intuition" and hoping our teacher "speaks to us" in a dream or a voice in our head is not the best approach, IMO. We are constantly tricking ourselves, we have tricked ourselves into this realm of karmic vision. You get the point.

None the less, never underestimate the power of devotion and unwavering faith to the Guru. This thread of focus and intent opens the heart mind and allows us to more quickly realize the view beyond self and other.

Thats about it.

:cheers:

Bryan.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

my hones advice: find someone you can talk to, communication is paramount.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

bryandavis wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:37 am I will chime in just to share my view and add some context. I've followed Rinpoche since 2006/7.

As was mentioned before, the days of private interviews, even group interviews are over. The last private interview was 2018 / 19 ish. The last group interview was December 2019 / January 2020 ish. This is a choice of his handlers, not Rinpoche per se.

After covid there is little or no chance to even get within six feet of him, perhaps if you live on campus and do work-study for some time, or are employed there. But even then who knows.

Rinpoche does not answer emails, there are two or three people max that bring him questions and then record answers and write back an email of what he said. Imaging three, but mostly two people getting dozens and dozens of messages a day from thousands of students who all want their email answered, when you cant speak the language.

Rinpoche is mostly in retreat, he comes out for Sunday practices for the most part, other than that he is in his hut. It has been like that for at least three years now.

Having great devotion to this person as a Guru, and following his instructions the best you can will take you far. But we should be realistic with our circumstance. As we all know in Kagyu and Nyingma the Root Guru is who has introduced you tho the nature of your mind and you got it through their pointing out, through faith and unwavering devotion, through applying the methods given etc.

We need feedback from our teachers, as much as we can ( at least in my journey YMMV ) when we get stuck. The one on one teacher disciple relationship is very difficult with Lineage heads and big lamas. I don't mean you need to talk every week, but access when questions come up in some form. Namkhai Norbu was an example of someone who though you might not see often or meet in person much, you were still able to get pith answers quite quickly. He was a true blessing in that way.

If we have great devotion to a Guru who is not accessible, keeping our faith and devotion, applying the instructions, and maintaining samaya will take us far, but we need to find a seasoned practitioner or another qualified teacher who we connect with. This person can helps untie the knots of doubt and guide us when we think we got something, but we really don't.

Following our "intuition" and hoping our teacher "speaks to us" in a dream or a voice in our head is not the best approach, IMO. We are constantly tricking ourselves, we have tricked ourselves into this realm of karmic vision. You get the point.

None the less, never underestimate the power of devotion and unwavering faith to the Guru. This thread of focus and intent opens the heart mind and allows us to more quickly realize the view beyond self and other.

Thats about it.

:cheers:

Bryan.
Thanks Bryan I appreciate you giving a detailed explanation of the situation

I have a lot of devotion to HEGR but will work with circumstances on this

Thanks again
Konchog Thogme Jampa

jet.urgyen wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:25 pm my hones advice: find someone you can talk to, communication is paramount.
Good idea
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Since I have done what I could to benefit beings, I will have no regrets whenever I die. These words come from true confidence and conviction. Even though I have named no successor or spiritual heir, disciples should have no doubt about the continuity of the transmission after my passing. My mind will always be present for those who have faith and love. Anyone who accomplishes the Dharma I have taught will become my heart child. This is the nature of the lineage of practice and blessing
~HE Garchen Rinpoche....

:namaste:
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

If you ask your lama for a few instructions in private, you are likely to get only a few words. Not only that, you might even get a
harsh scolding. This is a characteristic of our real Dharma teachers. Kyabje Rinpoche said, "When the Dharma teacher is sitting on a
throne, he will teach everything. The instructions will flow from him easily, like water. If he tries to teach after coming down from the
Dharma throne, he isn't able to do so in the same way." There is a special quality that teachers receive when they are teaching from a
Dharma throne; they will receive the blessings of all the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. The listener should also have very strong faith. All
these conditions should come together nicely.
-Sublime Path to Khechara Paradise pg. 221

Personally, I've found most of my questions are resolved by practice. The answer just come to me eventually. Although not all questions.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Konchog1 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:53 pm Personally, I've found most of my questions are resolved by practice. The answer just come to me eventually. Although not all questions.
Indeed. There are always some questions or unresolved issues can only be answered when we reach Buddhahood.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Kai lord wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:12 am
Since I have done what I could to benefit beings, I will have no regrets whenever I die. These words come from true confidence and conviction. Even though I have named no successor or spiritual heir, disciples should have no doubt about the continuity of the transmission after my passing. My mind will always be present for those who have faith and love. Anyone who accomplishes the Dharma I have taught will become my heart child. This is the nature of the lineage of practice and blessing
~HE Garchen Rinpoche....

:namaste:
Great post thanks :anjali:
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

there is the dream yoga alternative btw.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”