AI Dzogchen

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Anders

AI Dzogchen

Post by Anders »

After reading that ChatGPT has received a new upgrade, I gave it the following instruction:
describe the practice of dzogchen to me in plain languages, but make sure it is detailed enough to cover the seminal tenets of dzogchen, and in a way that is detailed enough that I can use your output as a practise guide
It came back with this:

"Dzogchen is a spiritual practice that originated in Tibet and is based on the teachings of the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism. It is also known as the Great Perfection or Atiyoga.

At its core, Dzogchen is a practice of discovering and embodying the natural state of the mind, which is considered to be the ultimate truth or reality. This natural state is said to be free from all dualities and limitations, and is described as pure, spacious, and luminous.

To practice Dzogchen, one must first receive teachings and transmissions from a qualified teacher who has themselves mastered the practice. Then, the practitioner engages in various practices that help them to access and stabilize their awareness of the natural state.

One of the key practices in Dzogchen is called "contemplation" or "meditation." This practice involves relaxing the mind and allowing it to rest in its natural state, without getting caught up in thoughts or distractions. The practitioner may focus on specific meditation objects, such as a visual image or a sound, but the ultimate goal is to simply rest in the natural state of the mind.

Another important aspect of Dzogchen practice is the recognition of the non-dual nature of reality. In Dzogchen, all phenomena, including thoughts, emotions, and sensations, are seen as arising from the same ultimate reality, and therefore are not separate from each other. This recognition is said to lead to a profound sense of peace and interconnectedness with the world around us.

Dzogchen also emphasizes the importance of "direct introduction" to the natural state, which means that the teacher may directly introduce the practitioner to the natural state through various methods, such as pointing out instructions or transmitting their own realization.

Ultimately, the goal of Dzogchen practice is to achieve complete realization of the natural state and to embody it in all aspects of one's life. This involves not only accessing the natural state during meditation, but also integrating it into one's daily activities and interactions with others.

As with any spiritual practice, it is important to approach Dzogchen with humility, dedication, and a willingness to learn and grow. It is also recommended to seek out a qualified teacher and community of practitioners to support one's journey."
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Giovanni

Re: AI Dzogchen

Post by Giovanni »

Interesting..
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Probably just sourced by algorithms/programming from Wikipedia
heart

Post by heart »

Giovanni wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:04 pm Interesting..
Not really, most of it seems to be stolen from Malcolms posts on this forum.
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
stoneinfocus

Post by stoneinfocus »

I have no idea why people find these chatgpt inquiries interesting. Like oh wow, this chat bot glued together some stuff it found online, big whoop...
Konchog Thogme Jampa

stoneinfocus wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:51 am I have no idea why people find these chatgpt inquiries interesting. Like oh wow, this chat bot glued together some stuff it found online, big whoop...
The problem with it is it can control the dialectic like fake news did its run and programmed by people
stoneinfocus

Post by stoneinfocus »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:03 am
stoneinfocus wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:51 am I have no idea why people find these chatgpt inquiries interesting. Like oh wow, this chat bot glued together some stuff it found online, big whoop...
The problem with it is it can control the dialectic like fake news did its run and programmed by people
Yes, it is a chatbot and does not always display correct information and has been shown to be easily manipulated. Not worth giving much attention to in spiritual matters.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

It's part of the fun.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

It has the potential to be of huge benefit in countless industries and professions, many of them health-supporting. (And no doubt, many negative applications)

Think of it more like a personal assistant for writing, editing, proofreading, academic research, skill learning, coding or creative tasks and the appeal makes a bit more sense.

At the very least, think of it like an interactive Wikipedia robot that can save you time when researching a topic.

In it's current model, it's not always accurate or factual so it still needs fact and error checking.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Vasana wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:08 am
It has the potential to be of huge benefit in countless industries and professions, many of them health-supporting. (And no doubt, many negative applications)

Think of it more like a personal assistant for writing, editing, proofreading, academic research, skill learning, coding or creative tasks and the appeal makes a bit more sense.

At the very least, think of it like an interactive Wikipedia robot that can save you time when researching a topic.

In it's current model, it's not always accurate or factual so it still needs fact and error checking.
Gonna take a lot of jobs too
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:14 am

Agreed. But hearing that kind of news, do we then harbour contempt towards the technology itself, or towards the economic and political systems that generate artificial scarcity and the need for pointless and damaging tech, products, professions and activities in the first place?
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Vasana wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:19 am
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:14 am

Agreed. But hearing that kind of news, do we then harbour contempt towards the technology itself, or towards the economic and political systems that generate artificial scarcity and the need for pointless and damaging tech, products, professions and activities in the first place?
I just work with circumstances

Did that in the pandemic too :ugeek:
stoneinfocus

Post by stoneinfocus »

Should have clarified I was referring to it in terms of spirituality. Of course it has potential for very useful real world applications.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

stoneinfocus wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:08 am

Should have clarified I was referring to it in terms of spirituality. Of course it has potential for very useful real world applications.
The same point on it being like a personal assistant can apply to its potential usage for spirituality as well. The concerning trend is that people assume everything it churns out is infallible truth.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

It's far from interesting in any sense other than "Wow, they are stealing stuff, turning it into mush, then spewing it out and selling it, and there is an infinite number of clueless people drooling over it."
Vasana wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:08 am At the very least, think of it like an interactive Wikipedia robot that can save you time when researching a topic.
It has nothing to do with wikipedia, because in wikipedia there are references and one is able to find and read the sources, evaluate them for oneself, etc. ChatGTP is a means to exploit the fact that AI is still a very gray area when it comes to copyright and other kinds of licensing in order to completely disregard authorship.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

:mrgreen: This AI has managed to create a blander description of Dzogchen than many human beings, bravo I guess lol.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Aryjna wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:42 am
It's far from interesting in any sense other than "Wow, they are stealing stuff, turning it into mush, then spewing it out and selling it, and there is an infinite number of clueless people drooling over it."
Vasana wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:08 am At the very least, think of it like an interactive Wikipedia robot that can save you time when researching a topic.
It has nothing to do with wikipedia, because in wikipedia there are references and one is able to find and read the sources, evaluate them for oneself, etc. ChatGTP is a means to exploit the fact that AI is still a very gray area when it comes to copyright and other kinds of licensing in order to completely disregard authorship.
There are chat gpt plugins and extensions that integrate with web browsers now, so it is possible to use it and find sources and citations. Most people are using the web or mobile interfaces and not the browser plugin though, but that capacity is already out there.

The ethical side of things is definitely quite hazy but I think the shadiness is more prevalent in the AI Art sphere, but maybe I haven't seen enough examples of textual plagiarism compared to artistic style emulation/theft.

Given that its a probability driven language model, I'm sure they'll already be developing internal plagiarism and general legality checkers to both improve outputs but also cover their own backs if the liability for any misconduct ever gets directed back at them rather than its users.

I'm pretty sure we'll all have very different views on it in 5 years time anyway. Video killed the radio star. :quoteunquote:

I hope the positive applications outweigh the imminent fraud that combinations of deepfake images, video, audio, and text combined could bring.

A.I Lamas and dharma teachers may also not be too far off the horizon. We could soon be speaking to an animated, automated teacher, trained exclusively on the works of one or multiple authors. That might not be so bad, but some corporate mindfulness and productivity robot is likely to get funding for that much sooner.

The potential for more sophisticated fraud and manipulation in the sphere of political, religious and spiritual deepfakes worries me more than half baked summaries from chat-gpt, but I'm sure it'll be writing the script as well.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

As a help for research it might be handy. On the other hand one needs much faith for that AI program, because research is already a process which is guided by the personal aims of the writer. If you keep this process to AI, the product is not really yours from the beginning.

My scepticism has it's source in the experiences with algorithms on Facebook and Instagram. They are so extremely stupid and biased. They allow the meanest offends, because they do not get it, and they disturb completely harmless conversation.

Also the idea of having an artificial writing assistant makes me wonder, how good that might be in longterm perspective.
I used to express myself in writing my whole life. Since internet-forums and email conversation emerged, I even write more and this seems to have improved my writing skills. (I'm sorry, I mean in German. I will never reach English fully.)

If I have had access to an AI writing assistant, I believe my ability to write would have stayed meager. This means, I would miss the experience of expressing exactly what I would like to express. Thinking could get lazy possibly.
If looked at this phenomenon in bigger perspective - on all people, longterm - I believe it will decrease our abilities.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Vasana wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:55 am Given that its a probability driven language model, I'm sure they'll already be developing internal plagiarism and general legality checkers to both improve outputs but also cover their own backs if the liability for any misconduct ever gets directed back at them rather than its users.
I wouldn't hold my breath for any of that. For the same reason that big tech companies don't feel like they have to stop spying on their users and leeching their private information in order to cover their asses. The laws are likely to simply never catch up. But who knows, I guess we'll see.
Vasana wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:55 am I hope the positive applications outweigh the imminent fraud that combinations of deepfake images, video, audio, and text combined could bring.

A.I Lamas and dharma teachers may also not be too far off the horizon. We could soon be speaking to an animated, automated teacher, trained exclusively on the works of one or multiple authors. That might not be so bad, but some corporate mindfulness and productivity robot is likely to get funding for that much sooner.

The potential for more sophisticated fraud and manipulation in the sphere of political, religious and spiritual deepfakes worries me more than half baked summaries from chat-gpt, but I'm sure it'll be writing the script as well.
It is not at all certain that these AI systems will ever become reliable in this sense. But again, we will see how it goes. Even if they do, this particular system is simply printing out stuff that it thinks is likely to be accepted as "good" by its users. This is inherently completely unreliable, given that the users, and also the people who helped train it, are not experts in all or any of the myriad subjects ChatGPT "talks" about. The result is that it just outputs stuff that only sounds believable.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Yeah I hear you. But this is where custom trained models, additional app integrations and custom data sets will come in to play. Chatgpt is just the first big public one. A skeleton for 10000s of potential different bodies doing different activities in different industries. I'm sure there already are and have been, smaller AI chatbots that are more subject specific and reliable for their intended use. I.T in Healthcare is one example where there will probably be lots of behind the scenes progress with these interfaces, but also lots of new risks for mistakes, misdiagnosis, death etc.

I'm sure the user data is also probably more valuable than the product itself right now, or will be in the long run. Turns out we were the chatbots all along 🤖

Return to “Lounge”