Why is sleep best meditation?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Jokingfish

Why is sleep best meditation?

Post by Jokingfish »

HHDL14 said so, why?
Vasana

Re: Why is sleep best meditation?

Post by Vasana »

what was the context? do you have a video or quote to share?

Some teachers say that if you are able to develop and maintain lucidity within dreams and sleep and then apply the meditation techniques you have learnt, the effects of that practice can be significantly increased and we can make leaps of progress, confidence, faith & inspiration.

Since we all dream, some teachers also say that the changed nature of our sleep and dreams is the real indication of how developed our practice is, regardless of whether we share fancy words to our friends or others on internet forums :P
Last edited by Vasana on Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

… it always ends in awakening.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
master of puppets

Post by master of puppets »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:07 pm … it always ends in awakening.
👍
Jokingfish

Post by Jokingfish »

Vasana wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:06 pm what was the context? do you have a video or quote to share?

Some teachers say that if you are able to develop and maintain lucidity within dreams and sleep and then apply the meditation techniques you have learnt, the effects of that practice can be significantly increased and we can make leaps of progress, confidence, faith & inspiration.

Since we all dream, some teachers also say that the changed nature of our sleep and dreams is the real indication of how developed our practice is, regardless of whether we share fancy words to our friends or others on internet forums :P
All i know that i found this quote and recently remembered, googled more on it, found only this quote 'sleep is best meditation', that's all ive found.
master of puppets

Post by master of puppets »

Jokingfish wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:41 pm
Vasana wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:06 pm what was the context? do you have a video or quote to share?

All i know that i found this quote and recently remembered, googled more on it, found only this quote 'sleep is best meditation', that's all ive found.
I just can say that sleep has an cure effect in most of the psychological illnesses. including anger or stress.

know of myself..

on the other hand 'don't know' could be related with sleep. not caring everything could be good or wished to sensed..
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

This is a very fascinating topic. Sleep yoga and dream yoga are said to be quite difficult, but also quite rewarding practices.

I don´t do any formal dream or sleep yoga, but I do try to integrate lucid dreaming and dreams and sleep in general into my practice. It´s a great laboratory for exploring the nature of mind and contemplating certain aspects of our experience.

For example, this practice helped me to see clearly that mind is "more real" than matter and that mental phenomena have both epistemologic and ontologic primacy over the physical ones. This is not to say that matter doesn´t exist - it is to say that all we can ever know is mind interacting with itself. Of course, the external world doesn´t emanate from mind as in absolute idealism, but its objects are indeed mere constructs of the mind. I often use (lucid) dreams to contemplate the nature of feelings. Pleasant feelings, for instance, are not derived from the object itself, but are already based on an abstraction. The mind doesn´t perceive the object as such, but creates a representation (nimitta) based on certain characteristics. In case of a desirable object, it only extracts the pleasant signs and thus fabricates a pleasant feeling. For undesirable objects it´s the same but in the opposite direction. In a lucid dream, this can become very obvious because you can interact with the representation directly in the dream and examine it. This leads almost to koans (kind of) such as: "Does the dream body have the slimy and gory stuff inside just as a physical body has?" Well, yesn´t. If you were to dissect it in the dream and expected it to have it, it could. But certainly in the moment of perception it does not, since you interact only with its abstraction. And the same happens in waking life in a moment of attraction/aversion. We mistake our mental representation for the object itself.

Return to “Lounge”