Dorje and Bell

Small

Dorje and Bell

Post by Small »

Hello,
I am very new to Chöd and I was wondering if the open prong vajra and bell are used in Chöd? I haven't found much info online, and info would be most welcome 💚
Kalavinka

Re: Dorje and Bell

Post by Kalavinka »

You don’t need these objects to practice Chöd.

It’s well worth seeing some of the other threads in this forum for upcoming opportunities to receive teachings if you haven’t already. I wish you the the best with making a connection with an authentic lineage and teacher(s).

:anjali:
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

The most profund chod practice i had was without any tools nor melody.

That being said, those tools have a deep meaning and add something. They are not there as a decorum. They have practical applications and are useful.

Still, the heart of chod is not dependent on them.
YesheDronmar

Post by YesheDronmar »

We would use whatever style of bell and dorje that the teacher told us to us! They differ by lineage and sometimes by practice.

Good luck with your practice.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

You should always seek advice from the lama on which ritual instruments to use, and since most people have only one vajra/ghanta pair, it's important to get a good one. For Chod, though, there are different requirements on ritual instruments, in particular the drum, and if you're serious about the ritual side of that practice (which btw isn't the most important aspect of it) you should do your best to get the right one, which again requires the advice of your teacher.

Return to “Chod”