Looking for Tibetan medicine teacher in the states

KonchogUrgyenNyima

Looking for Tibetan medicine teacher in the states

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima »

Hello all.

I am looking for recommendations on Tibetan medical teachers in the states.

I have looked into the pure land farms thing and I have a lot of respect for what they do, but it all does seem a little too… western? Seems like it really caters to a certain kind of student. Who I do not see myself as. Maybe I’m ignorant, but I would really love a teacher who is an expert in the field and can work with me one on one to really learn the ins and outs of the science. Nothing too sexy if you catch my drift.

I am semi nomadic throughout the southwest and into Texas and would love someone I could travel to regularly, but someone outside that realm who I could talk to over zoom or some other medium is wonderful too.
climb-up

Re: Looking for Tibetan medicine teacher in the states

Post by climb-up »

I think that, outside of PureLand farms and Sowa Rigpa International, the Shang Shung Institute: school of Tibetan Medicine is what’s available:

https://mass.tibetanmedicineschool.org/
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

If what you want is to become a Tibetan Medicine doctor, the Shang Shung program is what you want. It is to Tibetan Medicine what medical school is to training as an allopathic (Western/mainstream medicine) physician.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
mahabuddha

Post by mahabuddha »

I studied at Shang Shung for 3 years and can definitely say it's in-depth. It's a bit dry presentation but if you have a passion for it - you'll do great. Knowing Tibetan alphabet and lots of vocabulary helps a TON. Many of the lectures are almost like translating the textbooks.

I graduated from TME under Dr. Pasang in Switzerland. Highly, highly recommend but you'll have to go to Switzerland many times. I also think they may be changing up some of their courses and may not be in Switzerland going forward but I could be wrong.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Here is an excellent video describing the Shang Shung institute:

Virgo
Last edited by Virgo on Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Thanks for the help y’all!

The Shang shung route looks amazing. The only problem is tuition and all that. I wonder if this is how people would traditionally learn in Tibet, or if it is more like the lama/disciple relationship traditionally?

I guess that’s really neither here nor there though. I will look into Shang shung and see if they have scholarships and all that jazz.
Thanks again
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Ah. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like they are enrolling right now or any time soon
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:34 am Ah. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like they are enrolling right now or any time soon
Sign up to the mailing list there's a forum too with info on new presentations. I'm on both.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:34 am Ah. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like they are enrolling right now or any time soon
Fill out the form at the bottom of the page within the next few hours and you will have success (during the waiting period you can brush up on your Tibetan).

https://mass.tibetanmedicineschool.org/ ... e-program/

Virgo
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Virgo wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:08 am
Fill out the form at the bottom of the page within the next few hours and you will have success (during the waiting period you can brush up on your Tibetan).

https://mass.tibetanmedicineschool.org/ ... e-program/

Virgo
Thanks for the divination and conversation over PM my new friend!
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:36 am
Thanks for the divination and conversation over PM my new friend!
No problem. Conway, Mass is also a very beautiful and special place.

Virgo
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:28 am Thanks for the help y’all!

The Shang shung route looks amazing. The only problem is tuition and all that. I wonder if this is how people would traditionally learn in Tibet, or if it is more like the lama/disciple relationship traditionally?

I guess that’s really neither here nor there though. I will look into Shang shung and see if they have scholarships and all that jazz.
Thanks again
It's not cheap, btw. The divination just shows you can get accepted. The funding is different story.

There are a number of positive indications. That doesn't mean it can't cause you to go into a debt situation.

My personal advice to people is to never carry any debt. Nevertheless, this might be something important for you.

Virgo
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Virgo wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:10 am
KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:28 am Thanks for the help y’all!

Thanks again
It's not cheap, btw. The divination just shows you can get accepted. The funding is different story.

There are a number of positive indications. That doesn't mean it can't cause you to go into a debt situation.

My personal advice to people is to never carry any debt. Nevertheless, this might be something important for you.

Virgo
I don't know how much it is, but the khyentse foundation scholarships, probably the individual practice grant, might help.

https://khyentsefoundation.org/apply-for-support/
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

climb-up wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:15 pm I don't know how much it is, but the khyentse foundation scholarships, probably the individual practice grant, might help.

https://khyentsefoundation.org/apply-for-support/
I would apply to that and maybe also the Buddhist Studies Scholarship. Nice job climb-up. :namaste:

Virgo
shagrath

Post by shagrath »

mahabuddha wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:37 pm I studied at Shang Shung for 3 years and can definitely say it's in-depth. It's a bit dry presentation but if you have a passion for it - you'll do great. Knowing Tibetan alphabet and lots of vocabulary helps a TON. Many of the lectures are almost like translating the textbooks.

I graduated from TME under Dr. Pasang in Switzerland. Highly, highly recommend but you'll have to go to Switzerland many times. I also think they may be changing up some of their courses and may not be in Switzerland going forward but I could be wrong.
Thanks! Could you please tell more? Maybe in PM?
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:00 pm Hello all.

I am looking for recommendations on Tibetan medical teachers in the states.

I have looked into the pure land farms thing and I have a lot of respect for what they do, but it all does seem a little too… western? Seems like it really caters to a certain kind of student. Who I do not see myself as. Maybe I’m ignorant, but I would really love a teacher who is an expert in the field and can work with me one on one to really learn the ins and outs of the science. Nothing too sexy if you catch my drift.
Definitely needs more tibetan brocade🤣

Jokes asise shang shung institute is great
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I graduated from the first class of Shang Shung. It's hands down the most comprehensive program in Tibetan medicine you are going to find anywhere.

Return to “Dzogchen”