My translation of the Zuochan ming (Zazen Inscription) of Dayi

Javierfv1212

My translation of the Zuochan ming (Zazen Inscription) of Dayi

Post by Javierfv1212 »

Sharing my translation of Hongzhou school master Dayi's Inscription on Seated Meditation.

I had it checked by u/chancakes from reddit as well, so thanks to him for checking it.
Zuochan Ming

There are many ways of practicing chan (dhyana, meditation) and learning the way (dao). The key is that one can pick among them to reach the supreme.
Don’t just forget form, or make the heartmind dead. This is the most serious illness to cure.
Just sit, thoroughly exploring the deep source.
This is the way transmitted around the world since ancient times.
Sit upright, like Mount Tai, majestically, not idle.
Pick up the sharp sword and dissect the ultimate truth that came from the West.
Eyes wide open, eyebrows raised. Repeatedly look at this – who is it?
It's just like catching a thief: watch the loot and there is no fear of the thief hiding deeply under.
With wisdom, you get it instantly. Without wisdom, you won’t even see a shadow of it for years.
Alas, this steady sitting in deep darkness is like death. Even after thousands of years, it would still just be the same.
If you think that this is Chan, you will never get why Buddha held up a flower and smiled.
Sitting under the black mountain soaked in dead water, you still can’t deny the earth’s vastness.
But if you are sharp and steely eyed, use your heartmind and decide by yourself.
When awakening arrives, roar the lion’s roar.
Can’t you see?
The point of the metaphor “polishing a tile to make a mirror” is this: when the cart doesn’t move, hit the ox.
Can’t you see?
The water by the edge of the cliff is pure ten-thousand miles down, it is deep and still, without sound.
One day, fishes and dragons stir it up, the churning of the waves becomes harsh.
Thus, if you just sit still without work, how many years will it take to understand the emptiness of mind?
Hurry up and do it!
Contemplate the supreme so you can be sure to accomplish the teaching in this life.
If you still silently act like a fool, you don’t understand the work that must be done.
Rouse your spirit and pay close attention. It is not hard to awaken to what is formless and traceless.
Your intention must be true and sincere, brave heroes keep this in mind.
Be careful, don’t listen to teachings which say that the way (Dao) doesn’t require investigation. Use the ancient sages as your guide.
The old building is idle land, success is still yet to be achieved.
Know the dignity of immobile seated meditation and you can discuss all the doings of the phoenix [a symbol of the sages] and the grasses.
Now the four seas are as clear as a mirror, and everything can be heard.
Length and width are only known by oneself. From the start, the strands of hair have never moved.
If you ask about the practice of sitting meditation (zuochan), the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
A person who is ignorant of this may seek externally,
but how is it possible to find oneself through seeking anywhere other than in oneself?
Someone who seeks their own nature externally is like a fool who, giving a performance in the middle of a crowd, forgets who he is and then seeks everywhere else to find himself.
— Padmasambhava

Visit my site: https://sites.google.com/view/abhayajana/
KeithA

Re: My translation of the Zuochan ming (Zazen Inscription) of Dayi

Post by KeithA »

Strong teaching. _/|\_
Pick up the sharp sword and dissect the ultimate truth that came from the West.
Eyes wide open, eyebrows raised. Repeatedly look at this – who is it?
Others can speak to the veracity of the translation, but the piece resonates strongly with my own practice. Thank you for sharing.

:good:
Keiht
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
curtstein

Re: My translation of the Zuochan ming (Zazen Inscription) of Dayi

Post by curtstein »

Thanks for the translation!

I believe this is the original (found here: https://www.5ykj.com/gushi/t-294281.html):

坐禅铭·参禅学道几般样
[唐代] 于季子
参禅学道几般样,
要在当人能择上。
莫只忘形与死心,
此个难医病最深。
直须坐究探渊源,
此道古今天下传。
正坐端然如泰山,
巍巍不要守空闲。
直须提起吹毛利,
要剖西来第一义。