Etiquette when meeting with Tibetan monks

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Akir

Etiquette when meeting with Tibetan monks

Post by Akir »

:namaste:
What is the etiquette for meeting a Buddhist monk in the Tibetan tradition?

What should I say, how to say hello, what kind of bows and stuff like that... Ask for blessings?

I understand that the best way to communicate is to be natural and be yourself. But still, I would like to start from something.

I now live in India, Goa, and somehow, walking down the street, I met Tibetan monks and really wanted to go up to them and bow, maybe give them some money. But I didn’t, apparently my ego whispered to me that I would do something wrong and I would look stupid.

Is there a difference and what is in etiquette if you accidentally meet unknown monks or go to meet your acquaintance?
KathyLauren

Re: Etiquette when meeting with Tibetan monks

Post by KathyLauren »

Passing a monk on the street, you can't go wrong with a small bow and hands in 'namaste' position, as a sign of respect. Especially in India, that works for any person anywhere.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Akir

Post by Akir »

KathyLauren wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:48 pm Passing a monk on the street, you can't go wrong with a small bow and hands in 'namaste' position, as a sign of respect. Especially in India, that works for any person anywhere.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Thanks for the answer! :thanks: :twothumbsup:

Yes, "Namaste" in India is indeed a universal sign of greeting. And to greet a monk like that is quite wonderful. But with the rest... Almost. Now, there are a lot of Catholics here in Goa. And a difficult past with a terrible Christian inquisition and the genocide of local Indians. Therefore, an almost universal gesture.

Anyway, I'm here temporarily. I plan to move to the North, to Nepal or the Himalayan part of India, where there are more Buddhists, and the climate is closer to me.

Therefore, it is interesting how Tibetans greet lamas.

Is offering a small amount of money within the bounds of decency?
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

If you are making an offering for teachings then putting money into an envelope is good etiquette. The envelope is just placed on the teacher’s table after offering a khatag (white offering scarf). When I was in McLeod Ganj, a common way of offering outside of a teaching situation was simply to pay for the food or drink if some monks were eating in a restaurant/cafe.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Akir

Post by Akir »

Bristollad wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:26 pm If you are making an offering for teachings then putting money into an envelope is good etiquette. The envelope is just placed on the teacher’s table after offering a khatag (white offering scarf). When I was in McLeod Ganj, a common way of offering outside of a teaching situation was simply to pay for the food or drink if some monks were eating in a restaurant/cafe.
Indeed, banknotes, which confuse everyone in plain sight and create a not very positive atmosphere, I observed this once. And with bills in a cafe and a restaurant, a great idea, I hope I will do so. THANK YOU!
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Akir wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:48 am I now live in India, Goa, and somehow, walking down the street, I met Tibetan monks and really wanted to go up to them and bow, maybe give them some money. But I didn’t, apparently my ego whispered to me that I would do something wrong and I would look stupid.

Is there a difference and what is in etiquette if you accidentally meet unknown monks or go to meet your acquaintance?
Would it not depend upon what the monks were doing at the time? There's a time and a place for things. If I were you I'd wait until the right opportunity then ask some questions to see if you can get any idea of what is, if anything, may be expected from you (and hopefully report back, I would like to know more).

At my workplace sometimes I would share dharma stories and ideas with my colleague.
On two occasions she offered a small bow with clasped hands. This felt very heartwarming and was very humbling. She probably knows I'm a bit of a berk and put my foot in my mouth a lot, but I also wanted her to be free to be herself, so there was an unconditional love there. and so it's fine and very human to be vulnerable.
Akir

Post by Akir »

DharmaJunior wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:43 am
Akir wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:48 am I now live in India, Goa, and somehow, walking down the street, I met Tibetan monks and really wanted to go up to them and bow, maybe give them some money. But I didn’t, apparently my ego whispered to me that I would do something wrong and I would look stupid.

Would it not depend upon what the monks were doing at the time? There's a time and a place for things. If I were you I'd wait until the right opportunity then ask some questions to see if you can get any idea of what is, if anything, may be expected from you (and hopefully report back, I would like to know more).

At my workplace sometimes I would share dharma stories and ideas with my colleague.
On two occasions she offered a small bow with clasped hands. This felt very heartwarming and was very humbling. She probably knows I'm a bit of a berk and put my foot in my mouth a lot, but I also wanted her to be free to be herself, so there was an unconditional love there. and so it's fine and very human to be vulnerable.
I agree with you about the time and place. Of course, if I suddenly started prostrating to someone on a crowded street, it would look very strange))) :bow:

I was interested in some general greeting etiquette. However, etiquette varies from culture to culture. Being in my own country, I would not stare at a person with a different skin color or in different clothes. Here, in India, in the village where I live, every time I walk down the street with my girlfriend ... As if we are naked or four-armed ... I note that we are dressed, approximately like them, not like hippies or something like that... Despite the fact that everyone here already knows us, and this is Goa, and not a remote province. And for them, such a gaze is quite normal. Yes, and we are used to it.

Or else, when entering the store, it is customary to leave shoes at the entrance. And I do it too, as a sign of respect for them. Although inside the store the floor is dirty and then you have to wash your socks.

I am writing all this to the fact that after all, etiquette depends on culture and country.

And thanks for your comment. This is really valuable to me! :thumbsup:

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”