There is no business like religion business.

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Virgo

Re: There is no business like religion business.

Post by Virgo »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:32 am
justsit wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:41 am Should dharma texts also be free?
If there is any consistent message in the 80+ posts already in this topic it is that what worked elsewhere a long time ago needs to be adapted to the very different conditions of the modern western world.
For some people this is very difficult to understand. When threads like this stay open, that is what you should expect.

Virgo
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:52 pm
justsit wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:29 pm
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:57 am
Do you mean no cost to produce them?
No, sorry, guess I wasn't clear, had some surgery today.

Question is addressed to OP. Do they think all dharma and resources should be free, or just "live" teachings, and why?
Right. But I think the question “Do you mean to produce them?” still applies.
One of the very basic Buddhist principles is dependent origination. All phenomena arise from causes.
This is why I put forth the question about production of texts, events, podcasts, whatever.
You can’t talk about whether some phenomenon should be free, and separate it from its causes.
That’s what this whole thing boils down to.
Someone who says that a guru isn’t genuine if the teachings cost money,
or who says that all dharma teachings should automatically cost nothing
has not grasped this basic Buddhist principle.
It’s like saying I should be able to eat without growing food. Yes, it’s a lovely idea. I’d save a lot of money.
And food should be a human right.
There was a time when food was free. Humans simply picked it off trees, or hunted it.
That was a long time ago. So was India, 2600 years ago.
If someone wants to make teachings free, then they should just go and do it, and everybody will be happy.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
stoneinfocus

Post by stoneinfocus »

gelukman wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:28 pm
justsit wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:29 pm
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:57 am
Do you mean no cost to produce them?
No, sorry, guess I wasn't clear, had some surgery today.

Question is addressed to OP. Do they think all dharma and resources should be free, or just "live" teachings, and why?
I oppose this idea that you pay every month for a webcasts. That a big part of your money goes to buddhist fixed donation.
It is not ethical behavior to collect zoom fixed donations. You need to live in peace. You need to keep your money for living expenses without
any one luring you into "scientology trap".
Nobody is forcing you to pay. If you don't want to spend your money, then you don't get teachings that cost money. Simple as. 🤷‍♂️
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

That brings us full circle, with a post from the OP and a rational response to it.

As a couple of us have noticed that this thread appears to be endlessly spinning its wheels, so let's give it a rest for a while.
If anyone has anything *new* to add, please PM any mod to ask for it to be re-opened.

:thanks:
Kim

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”