Practice

Miorita

Practice

Post by Miorita »

You give me the formulas, the invocations but you forget to tell me what they mean.
I can't just pronounce gibberish without knowing what it means. It's useless to you, it's useless to me.

What is "bhalimta"?
Why there are different refuge formulas?
Where these deities come from?
"Ngagkong" - I speak extraterestrial dialects with these. My mom will rush in to slap me over the head once more.

"Maha Pancha Amrita". Really? Am I there already? How?

No, this is a text (the thun) that doesn't make sense to me. It's beautiful but until it makes sense, I will not do anything with it.
"Tsen Yava Rukshi"
What is "phala"? "Cittamani". Maybe I get what is chita, but cittamani, no!

No! The words have to have meaning. Until they have meaning, I cannot practice. I feel like a monkey immitating others just to make the quorum.
I want an explanation if it is to move past these.

"Maraya", I have no idea who you are, but until I'm understanding the phrases, I don't move to reading the 17 tantras.

Sincerely,
me
Virgo

Re: Practice

Post by Virgo »

That is for when you are doing offering to deities and protectors more extensively, which is not necessary. You can do a much simpler offering (where you clap your hands, etc. after the shorter tuns.)

However, it is possible to study what all of that means if you want to.

I know Rinpoche explained it somewhere, but I don't remember where.

Main points are Guru Yoga, being present, etc. :smile:

Virgo
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Rinpoche has a number of books explaining the meanings of the Sanskrit & Tibetan words that you mentioned.
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Sādhaka wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:17 am Rinpoche has a number of books explaining the meanings of the Sanskrit & Tibetan words that you mentioned.
Thank you, Sādhaka! I know you assist people along their path. :anjali:
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=914

This book covers the practice of the different thuns and I think pretty much everything you mentioned.
If you’re close to a DC group you can probably participate with them and ask what’s going on, or maybe even ask if it would be possible for an introductory class.
Once you know the meaning (the most import part, as you say); if you don’t have a local group there is an audio CD (and I think a DVD too) of the thuns and of the ganapujas that are really good to listen to and practice with while you’re learning.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Get the Tun dvd, short Tun book, larger Ganspuja/Tun book.
The DVD let’s you do it right along w/ Rinpoche.

All I do is the Short Tun, you just find whatever you want, leave behind whatever seems like a burden, things can be as complex or simple as you like.

GY is the deal.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Thank you all!
Thanks climb-up for the suggestion!
I searched and I have the book.