Interconnectedness (and life)

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
stong gzugs

Re: Interconnectedness (and life)

Post by stong gzugs »

Thich Nhat Hanh's concept of interbeing comes to mind as being similar to what you're saying. I think it's kind of a unique gloss on dependent origination, but in a way that's not about emptiness, but about people recognizing their connections to each other. Which is nice. But it may also romanticize samsara to some degree.
muni

Post by muni »

stong gzugs wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:51 am Thich Nhat Hanh's concept of interbeing comes to mind as being similar to what you're saying. I think it's kind of a unique gloss on dependent origination, but in a way that's not about emptiness, but about people recognizing their connections to each other. Which is nice. But it may also romanticize samsara to some degree.
He was a great master, like emanation of Chenrezig as well. He was extremely humble and kind because he was, of course like many masters, a very expression of the teachings.
He taught in a way it could be applied in daily life by encouraging to be mindful,...

Inter-being is actually a magical word, which opens practice.

This comes now to mind: HH Dalai Lama said one of the suffering in samsara is identity-lessness. Therefore we grasp always to an identity and this is one of the main causes we are experiencing a separation, and that is actually the suffering.
:anjali:
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

muni wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:00 am This comes now to mind: HH Dalai Lama said one of the suffering in samsara is identity-lessness. Therefore we grasp always to an identity and this is one of the main causes we are experiencing a separation, and that is actually the suffering.
:anjali:
Since this is dharma and everyday life perhaps it would be helpful to offer up an example by way of illustrating this point (well, at least from my perspective and understanding).

I have heard a story when an angry father confronted Buddha and expressed his displeasure, knowing his son was to be ordained instead of living up to the fathers ideal. The father was extremely coarse and disrespectful towards Buddha at the time. A little time passes and the man begins to feel a lot of remorse for his actions. He feels the urge to try and make amends and visits Buddha a second time.

This time he asks for forgiveness, but the Buddha cannot forgive. Why? The Buddha speaks and tells the father that the man who stands before him today is not the same as the one of yesterday.

So one can be fool for the day temporarily, but to think as oneself as foolish, as a fixed thing is no good. Of course reputation can be affected. People are affected by both self and other, so the self can be forgotten but the other is not as simple. Perhaps a change of appearance and improved conduct may change this, we are not here to entertain or please but to some this is in order not to cause bother (Never good enough but that's another story).
muni

Post by muni »

Good one!

Then there is the coronavirus, spreading around while changing. Whether we were living in a tent or palace, it connected with "everyone"without any exclusion.

Everyone as a variety of fixated thoughts I am this and not that. "You" cannot be without "me". "Me" not without "you", And so you are different from me, myself = identity. The interdependence- emptiness is liberating from holding on giving identification on what is passing , changing play in nature.
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Nice!
muni

Post by muni »

It is identity ( I am so and I am from there and I am this or that practitioner and my this and that...), what gives thoughts an extra truth and what are then the given colors or characteristics of me.

Harmonious living by recognition of interconnectedness gets no chance.

Since this makes separation even stronger: the self and its characteristics, what we so dearly protect and defend. Believing thoughts make dual solidness, meditation is a big need to realize there is in no any way any separation, even in dream we have own private air.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”