Samten Migdron translation due soon

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Javierfv1212

Samten Migdron translation due soon

Post by Javierfv1212 »

The Lamp for the Eye of Contemplation: The Samten Migdron by Nubchen Sangye Yeshe, a 10th-century Tibetan Buddhist Text on Meditation
by Dylan Esler

Anyone know anything about Dylan Esler and his abilities as translator? His academia page is promising, it says:
Associate Translator, 84000: Translating the Words of the Buddha
Dylan Esler is a scholar and translator of Tibetan Buddhist texts. He holds a PhD from the University of Louvain and an MA in Buddhist Studies from SOAS, University of London. He works for 84000, an organization devoted to the translation into English of the Tibetan Buddhist canon. Previously, he was a researcher at the Center for Religious Studies (CERES) of the Ruhr-University Bochum. He is affiliated with the Oriental Institute of Louvain (CIOL), where he has held the Satsuma Chair, and has also taught at the Inalco in Paris. Dr Esler’s research interest focuses on early Nyingma expositions of Dzogchen and Tantra.
https://uclouvain.academia.edu/DylanEsler
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
A person who is ignorant of this may seek externally,
but how is it possible to find oneself through seeking anywhere other than in oneself?
Someone who seeks their own nature externally is like a fool who, giving a performance in the middle of a crowd, forgets who he is and then seeks everywhere else to find himself.
— Padmasambhava

Visit my site: https://sites.google.com/view/abhayajana/
Archie2009

Re: Samten Migdron translation due soon

Post by Archie2009 »

I was able to preorder a copy for €83.55 at Amazon. Current preorder prices are much higher, unfortunately.

According to Oxford University Press publication has been pushed back again to around 16 Februari 2023: https://global.oup.com/academic/product ... 0197609903
gelukman

Post by gelukman »

You can find a pdf online. I am on chapter 3. Loving it, reminds me of passionate Dharma.
And if you have afford, buy the book!
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

gelukman wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:37 am You can find a pdf online. I am on chapter 3. Loving it, reminds me of passionate Dharma.
And if you have afford, buy the book!
That must have been recently uploaded. Thanks. I'd like to know what I'd be spending my money on.
gelukman

Post by gelukman »

I am amazed how wonderful this text is. Yes it was expensive. Totally worth it.
I might buy a copy just to make offerings to it.
gelukman

Post by gelukman »

Same author, another amazing text.
Publication date: 23 Feb 2023

Effortless Spontaneity: The Dzogchen Commentaries by Nubchen Sangye Yeshe
Series: 

Brill's Tibetan Studies Library, Volume: 54

Author: Dylan Esler
The notion of effortlessness is central to the self-understanding of the Tibetan contemplative tradition known as Dzogchen. This book explores this key notion from a variety of perspectives, highlighting the distinctive role it plays in the Dzogchen approach’s doctrinal architecture and meditative programme.
The book’s focus is on the early development of the Dzogchen tradition, especially as codified in a set of hitherto unstudied commentaries by the 10th-century scholar and meditation master Nubchen Sangye Yeshe. A full annotated translation of the commentaries is provided, along with an edition of the Tibetan texts on facing pages.

https://brill.com/display/title/63340?r ... 0%9F%98%B1
PemaSherab

Post by PemaSherab »

I've published and peer-reviewed with Brill, and they have (at least in philosophy and aesthetics) a rigorous peer review system. So the fact that this translator has a publication with Brill is a good sign for me.

YMMV etc.

---Rob
Q:Is the ability “to see what is in front of us” a way of escaping from the image-prison which surrounds us?
A: Very definitely, yes. But this is an ability which very few people have, and fewer and fewer as time passes.

Excerpt From
The Job
William S. Burroughs
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Does require oral transmission?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

jet.urgyen wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:27 pm Does require oral transmission?
It doesn’t exist.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Is "auditors" for shravakas a common translation? I thought it wasn't the first time I saw it (Wilkinson) but maybe it's because I don't read enough. :shrug:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:43 pm
jet.urgyen wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:27 pm Does require oral transmission?
It doesn’t exist.
then, to dive in it falls into one's own criteria?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pero wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:16 pm Is "auditors" for shravakas a common translation? I thought it wasn't the first time I saw it (Wilkinson) but maybe it's because I don't read enough. :shrug:
It’s an overly literal translation of snyan thos, I.e shravakas.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Pero wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:16 pm Is "auditors" for shravakas a common translation? I thought it wasn't the first time I saw it (Wilkinson) but maybe it's because I don't read enough. :shrug:
You probably just read too much of the wrong stuff. For example, this translation.

Virgo
Pero

Post by Pero »

Virgo wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:15 pm
You probably just read too much of the wrong stuff. For example, this translation.

Virgo
Hm, if I read the wrong stuff, and don't encounter this translation, it would mean it is actually a common translation though?
I haven't read the translation of this book BTW. I only saw this word in the contents I think. Why do you think the translation of this book is wrong?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Pero wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:32 pm Why do you think the translation of this book is wrong?
Because if you are willing to pay 93 + dollars for a translation that has "auditors" as a translation of snyan thos (shravakas), then unless you are someone who read it because you are a translator of similar works and wanted to focus on the actual art of translating itself, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. :anjali:

The original work is probably worth reading, but I would question this translation.

Virgo
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

If it was 25 or so, which is about as much as I am willing to pay for an e-book, then I would read it.

Virgo
heart

Post by heart »

Virgo wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:38 pm
Pero wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:32 pm Why do you think the translation of this book is wrong?
Because if you are willing to pay 93 + dollars for a translation that has "auditors" as a translation of snyan thos (shravakas), then unless you are someone who read it because you are a translator of similar works and wanted to focus on the actual art of translating itself, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. :anjali:

The original work is probably worth reading, but I would question this translation.

Virgo
Brill is a scientific publisher and the peer review is mainly for the scientific part of this book, all Brill books are expensive.
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Virgo wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:47 pm If it was 25 or so, which is about as much as I am willing to pay for an e-book, then I would read it.

Virgo
I take that back. I just read some of his work at academia.edu. No thanks.

Virgo
PemaSherab

Post by PemaSherab »

heart wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:05 pm
Virgo wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:38 pm

Virgo
Brill is a scientific publisher and the peer review is mainly for the scientific part of this book, all Brill books are expensive.
Brill has lines far beyond the sciences. I've published and peer-reviewed under one of their philosophy and aesthetics lines. Every word of the texts I worked on was subject to double-blind peer review and editorial review. Those are the general standards for Brill. They are expensive books.

Edit-- I don't know anything about the text or the quality of the translation. I only have experience with Brill.
Q:Is the ability “to see what is in front of us” a way of escaping from the image-prison which surrounds us?
A: Very definitely, yes. But this is an ability which very few people have, and fewer and fewer as time passes.

Excerpt From
The Job
William S. Burroughs
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

I only know I used to live basically around the corner from Brill's head office and that their books are ridiculously expensive.

And, after inspecting the PDF and epub, that I wouldn't pay €83.55 for an academic translation like this. Cancelled (the OUP title).

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”