Altruism

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Altruism

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

After my wrathful deity retreat I came out the other side and decided to focus on altruism.

I practice a deity prior to Dzogchen practice to help with this.

The machinations of the ego always find a way to complicate things but really everything is simple.
Attachments
tumblr_negeeiaCb01u1kqfho1_1280.jpg
tumblr_negeeiaCb01u1kqfho1_1280.jpg (146.17 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
Virgo

Re: Altruism

Post by Virgo »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:34 pm After my wrathful deity retreat I came out the other side and decided to focus on altruism.
If you live with bodhicitta you already have altruism. :)

Virgo
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Virgo wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:38 pm
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:34 pm After my wrathful deity retreat I came out the other side and decided to focus on altruism.
If you live with bodhicitta you already have altruism. :)

Virgo
Yes good point but is it the priority because it wasn’t for me but the individual needs to decide for themselves I should emphasise
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Here’s a good quote
Attachments
9ffb15a0ad6021ef89246d234063e05c--literary-quotes-dalai-lama.jpg
9ffb15a0ad6021ef89246d234063e05c--literary-quotes-dalai-lama.jpg (115.93 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

The machinations of the ego always find a way to complicate things but really everything is simple.
don't want to mess but, imo, wrathful practice should be done with the same love and compassion as the peaceful :P
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

jet.urgyen wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:12 pm

don't want to mess but, imo, wrathful practice should be done with the same love and compassion as the peaceful :P
Yes true but they are different
Konchog Thogme Jampa

True compassion is not just an emotional response, but a firm commitment founded on reason. Therefore, a truly compassionate attitude toward others does not change, even if they behave negatively. Through universal altruism, you develop a feeling of responsibility for others: the wish to help them actively overcome their problems
HHDL
Konchog Thogme Jampa

All suffering without exception comes from wishing for one’s own happiness. The perfect Buddha arises from the altruistic mind
HEGR
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

Wrathful deity are highly compassionate. They should be practiced with a mind of love. If practiced with anger they may generate more problems than solutions.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Soma999 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:19 am Wrathful deity are highly compassionate. They should be practiced with a mind of love. If practiced with anger they may generate more problems than solutions.
We established this on a previous thread I have been practicing for several years/decades if you count my time as a Monk it’s not something I don’t know about
Konchog Thogme Jampa

More from His Holiness
My main practice is altruism. My body, voice, mind [are] dedicated to the well-being of 7 billion human beings.

I’ve noticed with this effort I’m undertaking is that on the relative Bodhicitta level obstacles arise but when things are going well the effort to be altruistic makes complete sense
Konchog Thogme Jampa

"If you receive empowerment, it's about bodhicitta. If you receive teachings, it's about bodhicitta. If you practice teachings, it's about bodhicitta. Everything comes down to bodhicitta. The essence of practice is about bodhicitta. When you sit down to do your practice, what you practice is bodhicitta." ~ Garchen Rinpoche
As altruism is synonymous with bodhicitta I thought I'd quote this one

One thing with Bodhicitta i think about is when all is left to do is to benefit others, what then?

We're addicted to these arguments, conflicts, cancelling each other out let's be honest 🙂
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Bodhicitta is the medicine which revives and gives life to every sentient being who even hears of it.
— Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:55 pm
We're addicted to these arguments, conflicts, cancelling each other out let's be honest 🙂
That depends upon one's motivation. If someone is arguing to benefit someone, protect the Dharma from misinterpretation, sharpen their understanding, and so on, then it is fine. If their purpose is merely to increase their own egos, etc., then it is not fine and is negative.

Kindness doesn't always look kind. Sometimes it looks a little harsh.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Malcolm wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:33 pm
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:55 pm
That depends upon one's motivation. If someone is arguing to benefit someone, protect the Dharma from misinterpretation, sharpen their understanding, and so on, then it is fine. If their purpose is merely to increase their own egos, etc., then it is not fine and is negative.

Kindness doesn't always look kind. Sometimes it looks a little harsh.
Thanks Malcolm I know you're motivation is strong because you're tireless in benefiting others

I guess it comes down to the individual motivation with these cultural issues we come up against with the Dharma

Have a nice New Year and an auspicious 2023 for your teaching and projects
Konchog Thogme Jampa

The highest perfection of altruism, the ultimate altruism, is bodhicitta complemented by wisdom. Bodhicitta—the aspiration to bring about the welfare of all sentient beings and to attain buddhahood for their sake—is really the distilled essence, the squeezed juice, of all the Buddha’s teachings, because ultimately, the Buddha’s intention is to lead all sentient beings to perfect enlightenment, complete omniscience. Since it is bodhicitta that determines whether or not our practice becomes the path to enlightenment, bodhicitta is truly the heart essence of all the teachings of the Buddha.”
― Dalai Lama XIV,
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:09 pm I guess it comes down to the individual motivation with these cultural issues we come up against with the Dharma

Have a nice New Year and an auspicious 2023 for your teaching and projects
Thanks, and you too.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Reflect upon the wonderful enlightened qualities of the buddhas, particularly those of the historical Buddha. We all know that Shakyamuni Buddha was not a fully enlightened being right from the start. Initially, he was just like us—an ordinary being struggling on the path, with the natural weaknesses and limitations that we all have. What distinguishes the Buddha from us, however, is that he took the practice of bodhicitta to heart. He then embarked upon the path and, as a result of his efforts, eventually attained the fully enlightened state.
― Dalai Lama XIV,
Last one now this one was too good not to post
tobes

Post by tobes »

I celebrate what you're doing here. I find it a bit scandalous that so little is written about bodhicitta on this forum....
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:59 pm
Last one now
Why the last?

Virgo

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”