Altruism

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Re: Altruism

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Bodhicitta keeps the mind and body long and gives longevity. This also gives good sleep.
Looking at the welfare of all, nothing can be better than this. Through the practice of Bodhicitta, the evils and sorrows within can be removed
HHDL
Konchog Thogme Jampa

jet.urgyen wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:27 pm
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:16 pm
(12) Cruel beings are (everywhere) just as is space: It can't possibly come that I'll have destroyed them (all). But if I've destroyed this mind of anger alone, It's the same as my having destroyed all those foes.
(13) Where could I possibly find the leather To cover with leather the whole surface of the earth? But with leather just on the soles of my shoes, It's the same as having covered the entire earth's surface.
(14) Likewise, although it's impossible for me To ward off external events; If I would ward off my mind, What need to ward off anything else?
Shantideva
hō.
What does that mean?
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:50 pm :)
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:16 pm
Shantideva
hō.
What does that mean?
amazing, incredible.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

jet.urgyen wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:04 pm

hō.
What does that mean?
amazing, incredible.
Nice :ugeek:

Btw just cos I quote it doesn't mean I know it :sage:
Konchog Thogme Jampa

107. Simply by generating bodhicitta a mass of merit is collected. If it took form, it would more than fill the expanse of space!
Nagarjuna
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:07 pm
jet.urgyen wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:04 pm
What does that mean?
amazing, incredible.
Nice :ugeek:

Btw just cos I quote it doesn't mean I know it :sage:
no hay problema :)

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

(5) May those tortured by cold find warmth; And those tortured by heat be cooled By the boundless (oceans of ) water pouring down From the billowing clouds of bodhisattvas.

(6) May the sword-leaved forest become for them A beautiful pleasure-grove; And may the diabolical trees of thorns Transform into wish-granting trees.

(7) May the joyless realm regions become delights With lakes fragrant from (lake-born) lotuses thickly (rising up), And made enchanting with the bewitching cries Of cranes, wild ducks, geese, swans, and the like.
Shantideva
Konchog Thogme Jampa

(11) Wondering, "Why are the terrifying henchmen of the Lord of Death, crows, and vultures here (suddenly) scared, And whose is this soothing (moonlike) force that's eclipsing the darkness everywhere and giving rise to (our) happiness and joy?" Gazing upward and having beheld a shining Vajrapani, poised in the expanse of the sky, From the strength of delight, their dark karmic forces dispelled, may they (depart) in his company, together with him.

12) Seeing the joyless realm fires fizzle and fade out From a falling rain of water lilies, mixed with scented water, And wondering, "What can this be?" suddenly relieved with joy, May these joyless realm beings behold Kamalapani, (Water Lily in His Hand).

13) "Friends, shed your fears and come! (Come) here quickly! (We're brought back to life!) Who's come before us? It's the radiant Youth with (Five) Knots of Hair (Manjushri), the bestower of fearlessness, By whose power all suffering's removed, rushing (streams) of joy flow forth, And bodhichitta is born, as is loving affection, (the mother) nurturing those who wander, everywhere.

Shantideva
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Riding upon the horse of bodhichitta
That dispels all weariness and fatigue,
Who could ever feel depressed,
While travelling from joy to joy?
Shantideva
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Internet drying up for Bodhicitta quotes they're all in this thread though :mrgreen:

If anyone knows any good texts/pdf and so on feel free to message me :sage:
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

tobes wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:23 am
pemachophel wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:23 am More than one Tibetan Teacher has said to me that the cultivation of Bodhicitta is, for most people, a surer way to realization than either Dzogchen or Mahamudra. (I've also heard the same thing said that the cultivation of faith and devotion in one's Guru is, for most people, ...)
100% - they are co-joined in many presentations,including HEGR who has inspired Konchog to this thread. Plus many great masters of the past.
:good:

I have heard the same from my main living teacher, who had heard it from Gar Khamtrul Rinpoche, Trulshik Rinpoche and Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:51 pm
pemachophel wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:23 am More than one Tibetan Teacher has said to me that the cultivation of Bodhicitta is, for most people, a surer way to realization than either Dzogchen or Mahamudra. (I've also heard the same thing said that the cultivation of faith and devotion in one's Guru is, for most people, ...)
100% - they are co-joined in many presentations,including HEGR who has inspired Konchog to this thread. Plus many great masters of the past.

I have heard the same from my main living teacher, who had heard it from Gar Khamtrul Rinpoche, Trulshik Rinpoche and Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche.
Count in my dearest Lama, then ofc also such names as Atisha for example.

There is no con to relative bodhicitta only pros.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Love is the state of desiring to offer happiness and welfare, with -the thought "May all beings be happy", and so forth.
Compassion is the state of desiring to remove suffering and missfortunate, with the thought "May they be liberated from these sufferings", and so forth.
Empathic joy is the state of desiring the continuity of other's happiness and welfare, with the thought "You beings are rejoicing; it is good that you are rejoicing; it is very good", and so forth.
Equanimity is the state of observing another's suffering or happiness and thinking "These appear because of that individual's own past activities"
extract from the commentary attributed to Buddhaghosa on the "four divine abodes" or the "four immesurables", from the text "In praise of great compassion", HH Dalai Lama and Thubten Chodron.

this fertile ground for altruism.

jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Our buddha nature is stable and cannot be destroyed. Reflecting on emptiness helps us to recognize this buddha potential, for we see that defilements are adventitious and can be removed. Compassion for others also builds self-confidence, as does remembering our precious human life, it's meaning and purpose, and it's rarity. It's important that, as aspiring boddhisattvas, we cultivate such strong and resilient self-confidence.
from the text "In praise of great compassion", HH Dalai Lama and Thubten Chodron.

treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:14 pm
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:51 pm

Count in my dearest Lama, then ofc also such names as Atisha for example.

There is no con to relative bodhicitta only pros.
+1
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:59 am Internet drying up for Bodhicitta quotes they're all in this thread though :mrgreen:

Vast as the Heavens, Deep as the Sea: Verses in Praise of Bodhicitta by Khunu Lama.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Malcolm wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:25 pm
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:59 am Internet drying up for Bodhicitta quotes they're all in this thread though :mrgreen:

Vast as the Heavens, Deep as the Sea: Verses in Praise of Bodhicitta by Khunu Lama.
Thanks Malcolm purchased it from Kindle
Konchog Thogme Jampa

12 If one investigates to find the supreme method
for accomplishing the aims of oneself and others,
it comes down to bodhicitta alone.
Being certain of this, develop it with joy.

Khunu Rinpoche
Konchog Thogme Jampa

13 The good that is bodhicitta does not give fruit just once.
Until the knowledge of all modes of meditation is reached
it does not finish, but gets ever greater.
When knowledge of all modes of meditation is reached,
the rain of precious Dharma from the form-body cloud
nourishes the shoots of the good that people do.

Khunu Rinpoche
heart

Post by heart »

"3. The Generation of Bodhicitta: the Heart of the Awakened Mind

ཧོཿ སྣ་ཚོགས་སྣང་བ་ཆུ་ཟླའི་རྫུན་རིས་ཀྱིས༔
ho natsok nangwa chudé dzün ri kyi
Ho! Mesmerized by the sheer variety of perceptions, which are like the illusory reflections of the moon in water,

འཁོར་བ་ལུ་གུ་རྒྱུད་དུ་འཁྱམས་པའི་འགྲོ༔
khorwa lugu gyü du khyampé dro
Beings wander endlessly astray in saṃsāra’s vicious cycle.

རང་རིག་འོད་གསལ་དབྱིངས་སུ་ངལ་བསོའི་ཕྱིར༔
rangrig ösal ying su ngalsö chir
In order that they may find comfort and ease in the luminosity and all-pervading space of the true nature of their minds,

ཚད་མེད་བཞི་ཡི་ངང་ནས་སེམས་བསྐྱེད་དོ༔
tsemé zhi yi ngang né semkyé do
I generate the immeasurable love, compassion, joy and equanimity of the awakened mind, the heart of bodhicitta."

Longchen Nyingtik Ngondro by Jigme Lingpa
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”