In depth Drikung history?

ZopaChotso

In depth Drikung history?

Post by ZopaChotso »

On the different Drikung lineage websites, I see brief histories for Jigten Sumgon and for the Drikung tradition in general. Is there somewhere I can go to get a more in detail history of the lineage? And good inspiring info about Jigten Sumgon? Most of the biographical stuff I've read about him hasn't made much sense to me, I'm guessing I'm misunderstanding the stories about the hat he made and the flooded(but not really flooded) valley. I've read some stories about Naropa, milarepa, and gampopa that fill me with devotion! I want to read more of those for Drikung/PA specifically, while also getting a good idea of the history of the lineage.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: In depth Drikung history?

Post by kirtu »

This is the most in depth history that I have seen online and it's still a sketch: https://www.drikung.org/drikung-kagyu-lineage/

HH Chetsang Rinpoche has produced a history of the Drikung Kagyu but the book was published in a flawed condition (the published Tibetan was mangled) and I can't find the title.

I have a book published by Khenpo Tsultrim Tenzin Rinpoche which is the history of the lineage holders of the Drikung lineage and is thus a partial history of the Drikung Kagyu but I can't find it or the title at the moment.
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

ZopaChotso wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:10 am On the different Drikung lineage websites, I see brief histories for Jigten Sumgon and for the Drikung tradition in general. Is there somewhere I can go to get a more in detail history of the lineage? And good inspiring info about Jigten Sumgon? Most of the biographical stuff I've read about him hasn't made much sense to me, I'm guessing I'm misunderstanding the stories about the hat he made and the flooded(but not really flooded) valley. I've read some stories about Naropa, milarepa, and gampopa that fill me with devotion! I want to read more of those for Drikung/PA specifically, while also getting a good idea of the history of the lineage.
my drikung teacher has a book "history of drikung.." something like that. it is a blue book, i'll try to find it from him since i could't get it from the internet.

in the mean time, i found this one
From the Heart of Tibet: The Biography of Drikung Chetsang Rinpoche, the Holder of the Drikung Kagyu Lineage

true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Thank you for this wealth of information!

As Ramakrishna said to being confined to practice without reward: the more days to praise you...
He was a devout of Kali the goddess and he just was told that she won’t grant him liberation.
I think at this stage he was eating after or with the dogs.
philji

Post by philji »

The following isn’t a history as such but I have found it one of the most inspiring of books.

Opening the Treasure of the Profound: Teachings on the Songs of Jigten Sumgon and Milarepa
Khenchen Konchog Gyaltshen Rinpoche

…”In Tibet, vajra songs became popular when Milarepa gave teachings in that style to his disciples. His example influenced all Tibetan Buddhist schools, particularly the Kagyu lineages. People commonly memorized such songs and sang them with beautiful melodies. But vajra songs are much more than pleasant tunes or ordinary poetry. A vajra song reflects the enlightened mind of its author by encapsulating precisely profound meaning in just a few words. Thus, it can be difficult for the unenlightened to penetrate their meaning.

Khenchen Konchog Gyaltshen learned to sing vajra songs at his mother's knee. Later in life, he learned of their profound meaning from masters of Tibetan Buddhism, which allowed him to finally experience their depth in solitary retreat. Rinpoche brings this tradition into a Western context by translating songs composed by iconic Buddhist figures and explaining them in contemporary terms.

Rinpoche presents the outer and inner meaning of nine vajra songs by Milarepa (ca. 1052–1135) and Jigten Sumgön (1143–1217). He describes the Buddhist path of wisdom and compassion that leads to ultimate peace and happiness, and shows how to develop our mental qualities. In ancient times, these teachings were given to help others reach spiritual maturity. Here, we are invited into the world of transmission from master to disciple in order to discover truth for ourselves—to open the eye of wisdom that reveals the mind that cannot be seen.”
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

kirtu wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:30 pm I have a book published by Khenpo Tsultrim Tenzin Rinpoche which is the history of the lineage holders of the Drikung lineage and is thus a partial history of the Drikung Kagyu but I can't find it or the title at the moment.
This is "Masters of the Golden Rosary Lineage: Life and Liberation Stories of Drigung Kagyu Throne-Holders" by Khenpo Tsultrim Tenzin and Hun Lye, Vajra Publications, Second Edition, 2008
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
ZopaChotso

Post by ZopaChotso »

philji wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:49 pm The following isn’t a history as such but I have found it one of the most inspiring of books.

Opening the Treasure of the Profound: Teachings on the Songs of Jigten Sumgon and Milarepa
Khenchen Konchog Gyaltshen Rinpoche

…”In Tibet, vajra songs became popular when Milarepa gave teachings in that style to his disciples. His example influenced all Tibetan Buddhist schools, particularly the Kagyu lineages. People commonly memorized such songs and sang them with beautiful melodies. But vajra songs are much more than pleasant tunes or ordinary poetry. A vajra song reflects the enlightened mind of its author by encapsulating precisely profound meaning in just a few words. Thus, it can be difficult for the unenlightened to penetrate their meaning.

Khenchen Konchog Gyaltshen learned to sing vajra songs at his mother's knee. Later in life, he learned of their profound meaning from masters of Tibetan Buddhism, which allowed him to finally experience their depth in solitary retreat. Rinpoche brings this tradition into a Western context by translating songs composed by iconic Buddhist figures and explaining them in contemporary terms.

Rinpoche presents the outer and inner meaning of nine vajra songs by Milarepa (ca. 1052–1135) and Jigten Sumgön (1143–1217). He describes the Buddhist path of wisdom and compassion that leads to ultimate peace and happiness, and shows how to develop our mental qualities. In ancient times, these teachings were given to help others reach spiritual maturity. Here, we are invited into the world of transmission from master to disciple in order to discover truth for ourselves—to open the eye of wisdom that reveals the mind that cannot be seen.”
A virtuous friend just got me this for Christmas! I'll give it a read

Return to “Kagyu”