Online temples/sanghas, and a question about temples

bowsamic

Online temples/sanghas, and a question about temples

Post by bowsamic »

Hello all,

So I do consider myself a Jodo Shinshu practitioner, since I am most affected by Shinran's writings on the vow. I used to practise Soto Zen with a teacher, but my physical body did not allow me to practise in the way that is required, and I developed an injury from too much sitting. This made me feel basically inadequate, and the logical solution was to just devote to the vow. However it wasn't until recently that I noticed that actually I find my faith in the vow quite comforting, even though I am still totally confused and deluded.

But I have no one to recite with, or whatever, so I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the purpose of a sangha in Jodo Shinshu? I have faith in the power of the vow, and I know that joining a sangha or not or having a teacher doesn't affect the power of the vow. I know this is not like Soto Zen where a teacher is required. So why would I join a sangha or temple? Is it just to hear the reassuring words and meet people who also have faith in the vow? If so, that sounds great, but I just want to clarify that first.

2. What kind of options are available online? I live in Germany, but I don't really speak German, and anyway there is no Jodo Shinshu representation anywhere near me. What should I be looking out for when it comes to online Jodo Shinshu offerings?

Thanks
Zhen Li

Re: Online temples/sanghas, and a question about temples

Post by Zhen Li »

bowsamic wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:57 pmWhat is the purpose of a sangha in Jodo Shinshu?
The Sangha, as one of the Triple Gem, is essential in all forms of Buddhism. In Shin it is where we come together to (1) listen to the Dharma of Amida, (2) discuss matters such as Shinjin to remove doubts, and (3) engage in Dharma services together as a form of practice and as an expression of gratitude to Amida.
bowsamic wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:57 pmI have faith in the power of the vow, and I know that joining a sangha or not or having a teacher doesn't affect the power of the vow. I know this is not like Soto Zen where a teacher is required. So why would I join a sangha or temple?
Attaining birth is, of course, all that is needed. That you take refuge in the Shin Sangha means that at least, in spirit, you take refuge in and as part of the community of those who aspire for birth in the Pure Land. But the Sangha itself depends on Amida. You do not have to be with a Sangha in person or in a temple in order to take refuge in the Sangha. Personally, I am also not in a location where that is possible. But since you take an interest in Shin, and if you have come to receive Shinjin, you will come to have an interest in helping others come to Shinjin and also joining with those of a similar faith. So, participating in online Sanghas and Temples or other Shin groups becomes a very helpful alternative for those of us who don't have access to a physical temple.
bowsamic wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:57 pm What kind of options are available online? I live in Germany, but I don't really speak German, and anyway there is no Jodo Shinshu representation anywhere near me.
I believe "EKŌ Community of European Shin Buddhists" in Düsseldorf sometimes facilitates English events and most of them are online. They just hosted the European Hoonko seminar and I believe it was conducted in English (I was in Nepal at the time so the time zone didn't work for me). I would suggest you write to them (https://www.eko-gemeinschaft.eu/en/kontakt/) and just enquire about what is done in English.

If they don't reply, please feel free to PM me and I can ask someone who is involved with them if they can contact you.

As for the UK, there are some online events. Unfortunately the temple Chomon House (http://chomonhouse.org/) was not financially sustainable and we in the Nishi-Hongwanji sect in the UK are without a temple and are entirely based online. However there is a Higashi-Honganji sect temple in London, but I have never visited (https://threewheels.org.uk/). So, you are definitely able to participate in events also based out of the UK. You can try the contact details on the Chomon House site, but again, you can also PM me and I can put you in touch with one of the ministers directly.

As for outside of Europe, I am personally also a member of Oregon Buddhist Temple. They hold events on Zoom and their services tend to be in the evenings in Europe, which may work well for your schedule. Their minister, Yuki Sensei, is very responsive to emails and comments, and I think if you wanted a one-on-one discussion he would be open to it as well.
bowsamic wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:57 pmWhat should I be looking out for when it comes to online Jodo Shinshu offerings?
An opportunity to participate in services and events, and also a chance to ask teachers questions. If there is no possibility for dialogue or discussion, I would not personally be interested. Also, be prepared to be tolerant of a diversity of views. People are coming to Shin from different perspectives and it is not uncommon for people to have different views, but it is rare for there to be disputes—people are usually very respectful.

As for particular events to look for, it's all up to you. I personally love how the Oregon Buddhist Temple has regular services but also daily Dharma teachings from the works of Shinran and Honen.
KiwiNFLFan

Re: Online temples/sanghas, and a question about temples

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

I am also a fan of Rev. Yuki Sugahara's teachings from Oregon Buddhist temple.

One thing you need to be wary of online is fundamentalist Shin Buddhists who criticise the Hongwanji (Hongwanji-ha is the largest subschool of Jodo Shinshu, based at Nishi Hongwanji in Kyoto). Rev. Adrian Cirlea in Romania is probably the best example of this, as he has completely split from the Hongwanji-ha, whom he routinely criticizes.

I would recommend finding a good teacher from a BCA (Buddhist Churches of America) temple and staying away from blogs.

Return to “Jodo Shin Shu”