The most simple approach to Buddhism

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
DharmaJunior

Re: The most simple approach to Buddhism

Post by DharmaJunior »

muni wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:23 pm
Thishumanlife wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:26 am

But at this point, I am longing for simplicity. What advice can you all share on how to approach Buddhism in the most simple way? Easy to understand and implement.

Thank you!
The most simple approach is to live in harmony with ALL, no matter which race, nationality, religion, political meaning...This supports in daily life Dependence-Emptiness.
Actually far from being simple without being aware.
After reading both your and Ayu's entry, it occurred to me of a parallel there. Of course I do not wish to mischaracterize or stray too far from the mark, but it sometimes seems a 'truism' that: 'the only way to win is not to play'. As you suggest, this isn't easy without awareness, but isn't that why space exists? IE: Space exists as means to avoid 'enabling' behaviour- to boldly go- or simply make it impossible for people to push frontiers, in theory (ad infinitum) Perhaps another way to say that is 'posting goes on ad nauseum, but at least I won't go bananas' :quoteunquote: . Lacking this, in reality, we I most of us attempt to uphold a code of ethics. The products of practice can be honor, integrity, love, patience, and so on (essential virtues of Buddhist practice). :heart:
muni

Post by muni »

Lacking this, in reality, we I most of us attempt to uphold a code of ethics
:thanks:
Ethics help to avoid the continuation of harming actions, what results in our and others suffering. If we can be aware of own mind from where the clinging/grasping starts, and is the cause of suffering, then this is really a jewel moment.
(The appearance of the world is not the problem but our clinging to them is the problem, causing suffering. Tilopa)

Most simple approach for us could be: be aware. And if not possible: at least be kind.

"Enlightened Nature" actions is impartial love.
It'sYa1UPBoy

Post by It'sYa1UPBoy »

For me, it began with gratitude. Gratitude to Shakyamuni for being willing to teach us, even when he wasn't sure he knew how. Gratitude to the worldwide sanghas for carrying his torch onward after his parinirvana. Gratitude to my parents for allowing me a human birth to learn the Dharma.

But first among those came the gratitude to Shakyamuni. The 4NT were the truest thing I'd ever read. And Shakyamuni not only taught us those, but also the means by which to fully realize them and live their truth, the 8FP, which has brought me peace and calm and allowed me to work on extinguishing my anger. He told us to judge a path by its fruits, and the fruits I've harvested have been healthy and edifying.

This gratitude allowed me to begin relinquishing the attitude that I must do the spiritual work all on my own, allowed me to listen to other wise teachers who guide today's people in words they understand, and enabled me to let go of resentment over the past that was and the futures that could have been.

If you have a statue or picture of Shakyamuni, face it. If not, you don't need one, but humans are very visual creatures by nature and it can help us to have a focal point for our devotion, even if it's on our phones.

Look at him. Take in his peaceful countenance, the hand reaching down to touch the earth.
Consider his decades-long ministry, helping the people of northern India to understand the Dharma and reach the enlightened state.
Think about how his words have reached you 2500 years later, through a long, unbroken chain of teachers and monastics. About how you were born a human to your parents, and how humans, somewhere--- maybe in a book, or at a conference or temple, or maybe it was your parents themselves ---taught you the Dharma. About how difficult it is to hear the Dharma, much less to understand its truths.
And when you feel it will be full of understanding and genuine gratitude, simply say two words: "Thank you."

Through truly cognizant gratitude, a desire to practice will naturally emerge. What form of practice that ends up being will depend on your disposition. But common to all paths and all schools is that Shakyamuni is the first teacher of us unenlightened humans of this universe.

:anjali:
Delusionist

Post by Delusionist »

It'sYa1UPBoy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:53 am But first among those came the gratitude to Shakyamuni."The 4NT were the truest thing I'd ever read."
Same for me. When I read them, in that thunderbolt of realization everything changed for me. So much of my bs just dropped to the ground and the path simply opened up before me. That day, each year I celebrate without fanfare, to myself. Nothing I can actually share with friends or family, because it doesn't need to be expressed or explained to them. I find it helpful to remember the me before and me immediately after. Light-years from then to now. Fortunately for us many have come before and clearly marked the path. How lucky are we?!
Last edited by Ayu on Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed quote. Please use the button ["] or [quote] for quoting. Usual quotation marks do not make obvious whom you are referring to.
It'sYa1UPBoy

Post by It'sYa1UPBoy »

Delusionist wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:34 pm
It'sYa1UPBoy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:53 am But first among those came the gratitude to Shakyamuni. The 4NT were the truest thing I'd ever read.
Same for me. When I read them, in that thunderbolt of realization everything changed for me. So much of my bs just dropped to the ground and the path simply opened up before me. That day, each year I celebrate without fanfare, to myself. Nothing I can actually share with friends or family, because it doesn't need to be expressed or explained to them. I find it helpful to remember the me before and me immediately after. Light-years from then to now. Fortunately for us many have come before and clearly marked the path. How lucky are we?!
Yeah, once you really catch a glimpse of the roots of suffering, it's impossible to see them as rootless vines anymore. Then you know to trace the vines to the roots and untangle them that way, and someday you'll get to the bottom of it all. This understanding changes you, because your flaws don't feel immutable aspects of you anymore, and neither do your desirable traits.

We're not just lucky to be able to follow the clear path, but to keep marking it for those who come after us. Marking the path is skillful for us and for the generations after we pass on. We really get to know every dent and lump in the ground beneath our feet as we find our way along it.
mystic_poet

Post by mystic_poet »

diamond sutra tells there are three things to live a meaningful life.

1, help people.. give money who needs it...
2, respect every living being...
3, purify the mind.
beginnermind37

Post by beginnermind37 »

Thishumanlife wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:26 am Hello. I have been browsing this forum and there is an abundance of amazing information and content. I have also spent the past 7 years reading about mindfulness, spirituality, Buddhism, meditation, etc. A very detailed in-depth read recently was “Why Buddhism is True.”

But at this point, I am longing for simplicity. What advice can you all share on how to approach Buddhism in the most simple way? Easy to understand and implement.

Thank you!
I enjoy simplicity too. I like to pick a quote of his or in the spirit of his teachings that I find particularly inspiring and use it as a mantra and single mental object that I contemplate in my head to gradually chip away the three unwholesome roots.

The one I find most helpful right now in my daily walk is: In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how deeply you let go of things not meant for you.

Sounds simple but those words are pregnant with meaning. For example the 'things not meant for you' can be interpreted as the five factors or aggregates of clinging and the other two counteract greed and hatred. I notice the more I contemplate or even just repeat a quote like this the more those factors actually start effecting my mind stream in a positive way. What appeals to you may be different of course. I have used other quotes before too like Dhammapada 183.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

beginnermind37 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:20 pm
Thishumanlife wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:26 am Hello. I have been browsing this forum and there is an abundance of amazing information and content. I have also spent the past 7 years reading about mindfulness, spirituality, Buddhism, meditation, etc. A very detailed in-depth read recently was “Why Buddhism is True.”

Thank you!
I enjoy simplicity too. I like to pick a quote of his or in the spirit of his teachings that I find particularly inspiring and use it as a mantra and single mental object that I contemplate in my head to gradually chip away the three unwholesome roots.

The one I find most helpful right now in my daily walk is: In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how deeply you let go of things not meant for you.

Sounds simple but those words are pregnant with meaning. For example the 'things not meant for you' can be interpreted as the five factors or aggregates of clinging and the other two counteract greed and hatred. I notice the more I contemplate or even just repeat a quote like this the more those factors actually start effecting my mind stream in a positive way. What appeals to you may be different of course. I have used other quotes before too like Dhammapada 183.
Hi there...welcome to the forum! One of the rules they have here is to avoid necroposting (reviving very old "dead" threads. I am not a mod here, just sending along a little friendly advice. Actually, one of the threads that was revived had a couple of comments from me, which funny to see, as I didn't recognize the thread.

Anywho...the usual advice is that if you find an old thread that is of interest, quote the op, and start a new thread.

_/|\_
Keith
edit: Ha! Looking through the thread, it looks like had something to say in this one too. :smile:
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”