About recorded teachings/empowerments (split)

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Passing By

About recorded teachings/empowerments (split)

Post by Passing By »

Mod note: This topic has been split from here:
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 52#p648652

Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:58 pm
Shaiksha wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:17 am

But, in theory, it is possible to prove the efficacy of the method. No?
Some online empowerments are possible. Others are not. Recorded empowerments cannot ripen anyone for the reasons described above.
BTW, everyone talks about lung and wang, but what about recorded instructions and teachings? For example, someone gives teaching on some Dzogchen text. You are there live online or in person when pointing out / guru yoga is given. Then what about the rest of the teaching where the teacher is explaining the text etc....Does that have to be live also?

I don't see lamas having much qualms giving recorded Dzogchen instructions provided one has had transmission but I do recall you saying also that in Dzogchen, as long as the teacher is intending to transmit trekcho/thogal instructions etc then the teachings themselves count as direct introduction so what is the jury on recorded teachings?
Malcolm

Re: Garchen Rinpoche's empowerments

Post by Malcolm »

Passing By wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:14 pm

BTW, everyone talks about lung and wang, but what about recorded instructions and teachings? For example, someone gives teaching on some Dzogchen text. You are there live online or in person when pointing out / guru yoga is given. Then what about the rest of the teaching where the teacher is explaining the text etc....Does that have to be live also?
Not necessarily. But if one wants a lung of the text, then one needs to participate live. To this end some teachers give the lung of the text before hand or after, so that people can participate through recordings of the explanation.
I don't see lamas having much qualms giving recorded Dzogchen instructions provided one has had transmission but I do recall you saying also that in Dzogchen, as long as the teacher is intending to transmit trekcho/thogal instructions etc then the teachings themselves count as direct introduction so what is the jury on recorded teachings?
This assumes you have received empowerment, understand and have experience with the example pristine consciousness, the meaning pristine consciousness, and the "proof" or "sign" pristine consciousness. Then it is fine. It's like reading a text whose contents you already understand.

But its always better to participate live.
Passing By

Re: Garchen Rinpoche's empowerments

Post by Passing By »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:47 pm
Passing By wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:14 pm

Not necessarily. But if one wants a lung of the text, then one needs to participate live. To this end some teachers give the lung of the text before hand or after, so that people can participate through recordings of the explanation.
This assumes you have received empowerment, understand and have experience with the example pristine consciousness, the meaning pristine consciousness, and the "proof" or "sign" pristine consciousness. Then it is fine. It's like reading a text whose contents you already understand.

But its always better to participate live.
Right, thank you very much. Kind of how I expected it to be.

And yes, I generally do try to follow teachings live, due also to the added benefit of Q and A sessions

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”