How to find a Tibetan teacher?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
dpcalder

How to find a Tibetan teacher?

Post by dpcalder »

I'm interested in receiving transmission from a teacher and pursuing the Vajrayana path. It seems pretty difficult to find a teacher though. I'm specifically interested in either Bon, Nyingma or Kagyu. Any advice?
Terma

Re: How to find a Tibetan teacher?

Post by Terma »

Look to try and make some connections. Attend (or watch) a teaching or two to get a feel for the teacher and whether there is a connection. Do this with several teachers over a period of time and when you think you have found one, then try to found out a little bit about them, such as their lineage, who authorized them to teach, any controversies, and things like that. At that point if you are still enthusiastic about that teacher, you try to make a personal connection, arrange an interview, introduce yourself and ask to become their student. From that point, everyone's path is different.

My two cents.
jamesrigzin

Post by jamesrigzin »

Where do you live, mate?
🙏🏼
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

dpcalder wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:16 pm It seems pretty difficult to find a teacher though.
Well, if you go to the Himalayas, find a remote mountain monastery, learn to speak Nepali or Tibetan, maybe Lungta, and the master is willing to teach you if you agree to stay there for ten years, then that should be pretty easy.

Otherwise, you’ll probably have to spend an hour searching on the Internet.

Bummer.

:rolling:
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

The question, "Where do you live?" seems pretty germane. If you live someplace where there are Vajrayana Teachers, someone here on DW will probably be able to at least start you on your search. If not, then that becomes more difficult, even to the point of going to the Himalayas as PadmaVonSamba somewhat facetiously (I think) suggested. That's what I had to do back in 1970.

But now there are Tibetan Buddhist Teachers all over the world. So let us know where you currently live and we can probably help you.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

dpcalder wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:16 pm I'm interested in receiving transmission from a teacher and pursuing the Vajrayana path. It seems pretty difficult to find a teacher though. I'm specifically interested in either Bon, Nyingma or Kagyu. Any advice?

Yungdrung Bön teachings are prolific these days.

Look at the said sub-forum.

Online Direct-Introduction is valid.

I've met ChNN in-person three times, and my most profound experiences with him were via webcast.

Although I must say, that with being there in-person, the air was almost thick (or light rather) with his presence.

However as he himself often said, it is more important to 'understand something' than it is to "feel some sort of vibration".
Last edited by Sādhaka on Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dpcalder

Post by dpcalder »

jamesrigzin wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:23 pm Where do you live, mate?
🙏🏼
I’m in western North Carolina
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

A quick Google search of North Carolina did not turn up (for me) any Nyingma centers or Nyingma Lamas living there. (I'm Nyingma; so that's what I searched for.) That means your search is going to involve several steps. (It was anyway.)

1. Check out on-line teachings by various Nyingma Lamas (and/or Bonpo, Kagyud). Many Lamas have Facebook pages and commonly announce Their on-line teachings via those pages. This includes Lamas Who live in N. American and Those Who live elsewhere. Here on DW, sometimes members will post announcements of on-line teachings in the "Events" section. You can ask DW members for suggestions of Nyingma (Bonpo, Kagyud) Lamas to check out either as a continuation of this thread or you can start a new thread specifically for this purpose. You can also search through back threads. You're not the first person to ask this question here at DW.

2. Find a Lama that, at least on-line, you seem to connect with.

3. Then go meet Him or Her and see how that goes. This may require more than one visit.

4. If that Lama doesn't seem like the right fit for you, then repeat steps 1-3 again (and again and again) as needed until you find "your" Lama.

Having decided that a certain Lama is the one you want to study with (at least for now), this may mean you will have to move to be near that Lama or not depending on a number of factors. But only time and experience will tell that.

Some Nyingma Lamas you might want to check out on-line include:

Tulku Sang-ngag in Santa Fe (ewam.org)
Tulku Thadral in Soquel, CA (vajrayana.org)
Lama Tshering Sonam in Soquel, CA (vajrayana.org)
Tulku Sherdor in Albany, NY (Facebook)
Tulku Choying Yeshi in Seattle, WA (Facebook)
Venerable Bhakha Tulku in Albuerquerque, NM (Facebook)
Anyen Rinpoche in Denver, CO (Facebook)
Choje Rinpoche in Denver, CO (Facebook)
Loppon Rechung in Broomfield, CO (Facebook)
Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche in Crestone and Ward, CO (Facebook)
Namgay Dawa Rinpoche in NY, NY (Facebook)
Lama Rangbar Nyima Ozer in Poughkepsie, NY (Facebook)
Lama Chonam & Sangye Khandro in Ashland, OR (Tashi Choling, Facebook)
Khentrul Lodro Thaye in Parthenon, Arkansas (Facebook)
Khandro Kunzang in Lansing, IA (Facebook)
Khenpo Sonam in Los Angeles, CA (Facebook)
Lama Tsultrim Allione in Pagaosa Springs, CO (Tara Mandala, Facebook)
Lama Lhanang in San Diego, CA (Buddhist San Diego, Jigme Ling Center, Facebook)
Lama Jigme in Las Vegas, NV (Padma Rigdzin Ling Temple, Facebook)

I'm sure I've forgotten all sorts of good Nyingma Lamas here in the U.S. Since I live in Colorado, I'm most familiar with the Lams living here and generally in the western half of the U.S. I'm sure other DW members will add to this list.

Good luck & best wishes, LPC
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Natan

Post by Natan »

dpcalder wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:16 pm I'm interested in receiving transmission from a teacher and pursuing the Vajrayana path. It seems pretty difficult to find a teacher though. I'm specifically interested in either Bon, Nyingma or Kagyu. Any advice?
The question is sort of messed up. Find a Vajrayana teacher with a valid lineage. It's not only a Tibetan deal.
drodul

Post by drodul »

There is a Drikung Kagyu center in Asheville: https://udharmanc.com/

People I know say Lopon Dr. Hun Lye is a good teacher.
justsit

Post by justsit »

There are a couple teachers down your way that come to mind. Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche is a wonderful Bon teacher, has a center called Serenity Ridge in Shipman, VA. He doesn't reside there AFAIK but does offer retreats and teachings, check the website https://ligmincha.org/. Not exactly "close" but I've found that the really good teachers are often hard to find and sometimes the result can be proportional to the effort exerted.

Also, Khandro Rinpoche is an excellent teacher in the Kagyu and Nyingma lineages, her center is Mindrolling Lotus Garden in Stanlely, VA. Again, not close, but definitely worth a trip. https://www.lotusgardens.org/
dpcalder

Post by dpcalder »

pemachophel wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:00 pm A quick Google search of North Carolina did not turn up (for me) any Nyingma centers or Nyingma Lamas living there. (I'm Nyingma; so that's what I searched for.) That means your search is going to involve several steps. (It was anyway.)

1. Check out on-line teachings by various Nyingma Lamas (and/or Bonpo, Kagyud). Many Lamas have Facebook pages and commonly announce Their on-line teachings via those pages. This includes Lamas Who live in N. American and Those Who live elsewhere. Here on DW, sometimes members will post announcements of on-line teachings in the "Events" section. You can ask DW members for suggestions of Nyingma (Bonpo, Kagyud) Lamas to check out either as a continuation of this thread or you can start a new thread specifically for this purpose. You can also search through back threads. You're not the first person to ask this question here at DW.

3. Then go meet Him or Her and see how that goes. This may require more than one visit.

4. If that Lama doesn't seem like the right fit for you, then repeat steps 1-3 again (and again and again) as needed until you find "your" Lama.

Having decided that a certain Lama is the one you want to study with (at least for now), this may mean you will have to move to be near that Lama or not depending on a number of factors. But only time and experience will tell that.

I'm sure I've forgotten all sorts of good Nyingma Lamas here in the U.S. Since I live in Colorado, I'm most familiar with the Lams living here and generally in the western half of the U.S. I'm sure other DW members will add to this list.

Thank you so much for this! I sincerely appreciate your effort. :) Seriously, I'm very grateful
escargotmycargo

Post by escargotmycargo »

Just wanted to say that from my personal experience Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche is a great teacher.
heart

Post by heart »

dpcalder wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:08 am
pemachophel wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:00 pm A quick Google search of North Carolina did not turn up (for me) any Nyingma centers or Nyingma Lamas living there. (I'm Nyingma; so that's what I searched for.) That means your search is going to involve several steps. (It was anyway.)

Thank you so much for this! I sincerely appreciate your effort. :) Seriously, I'm very grateful
He forgot to mention himself in this list, so I add him :smile:

Lama Pema Chöpel Boulder (more or less), CO

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Karma Triyana Dharmachakra (KTD) has two lings in N.C.:

https://kagyu.org/ktd-affiliates/

Greenville Karma Thegsum Chöling and Piedmont Karma Thegsum Chöling.

Virgo
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

dpcalder wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:26 pm I’m in western North Carolina
Asheville NC
Dr. Hun Lye, a lama from Malaysia is really good.
He also does live streams on Facebook & YouTube if you want to check him out first.
https://udharmanc.com/
At the bottom of this website also is a list of Dharma centers in western NC
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”