Musk, guns and a vajra

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Knotty Veneer

Musk, guns and a vajra

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Elon Musk keeps guns and a vajra on his beside table:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1597165510595989504
This is not the wrong life.
Sādhaka

Re: Musk, guns and a vajra

Post by Sādhaka »

Very strange.

You'd think too that someone with that much money would be drinking some high-end organic soda, instead of some cheap carbonated artificially-flavored hfcs/aspartame water.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

And why the cheap poorly cast vajra. What does he think it is/does. What on earth would he use it for?

Bet there's a run on vajras from Dharma stores by the Musk fanboys.

The guns are of course no surprise whatsoever.
This is not the wrong life.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Sādhaka wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:27 pm Very strange.

You'd think too that someone with that much money would be drinking some high-end organic soda, instead of some cheap carbonated artificially-flavored hfcs/aspartame water.
Just because you have a lot of money does not mean you'll have taste, smarts, or anything really other than actually having a lot of money.

People think Musk is really, really smart. But he's not. He's lied about his resume (education and so on). And he routinely makes bizarre decisions that nobody else would do. Him sharing a picture of his nightstand with soda, guns, and a singular vajra just shows that he's clueless.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Norwegian wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:44 pm

Just because you have a lot of money does not mean you'll have taste, smarts, or anything really other than actually having a lot of money.

People think Musk is really, really smart. But he's not. He's lied about his resume (education and so on). And he routinely makes bizarre decisions that nobody else would do. Him sharing a picture of his nightstand with soda, guns, and a singular vajra just shows that he's clueless.
Yeah, he’s a doofus rich kid. I find it hilarious watching people fawn over him like some depression era “luck and pluck” story. I personally see no need to seek greater meaning here, he thought it was shiny and cool, like Twitter.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

Such a mess...

Our founding teacher, Zen Master Seung Sahn, was fond of saying, “Human beings number one bad animal!” Everybody gets that. If he’d said it more eloquently it wouldn’t have been as striking. Buddhist traditional teaching is that in the past, people killed many animals both for food and for recreation in a way that was thoughtless, so those animal consciousnesses then get reborn as human beings, and carry that thoughtlessness with them.

So now we have many human beings who are not human beings. They have human bodies, but they have dog mind, or cat mind, or falcon mind, or duck mind, or bird mind or tiger mind. Sometimes people even have two minds, half dog, half cat, so they’re fighting inside. Zen Master Seung Sahn used to talk about broken consciousness. And if you have tiger mind and I have lion mind, I want to hurt you. If you have a dog mind and your friend has a dog mind, you have some affinity. You can play that out, and you’re free to take it literally. And in fact I can’t disprove it, nor can I prove it, for that matter.

But it also paints a picture of the kind of things that persist, and how they persist. As Buddha says, karma is relentless. We collectively cultivate the habit of not being mindful of how we live on the earth. This creates generations that don’t pay attention to that well. That has consequences.
From here.

Round and round.
_/|\_
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Knotty Veneer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:34 pmAnd why the cheap poorly cast vajra. What does he think it is/does. What on earth would he use it for?

Bet there's a run on vajras from Dharma stores by the Musk fanboys.

I doubt that it's only some random souvenir that he picked up somewhere. I'd imagine that he intended some meaning by having it there for that picture. But who knows....
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Hey, I mean maybe he's a Mahasiddha, and could drink gallons straight of hfcs/aspartame without getting affected in the slightest; hence the Vajra.

Probably not. But check the Vimalakirti-Nirdesa Sutra on time-dilation & Bodhisattvas taming sentient beings....
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

:rolling:

:thanks:
Kim
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Sādhaka wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:03 am

Hey, I mean maybe he's a Mahasiddha, and could drink gallons straight of hfcs/aspartame without getting affected in the slightest; hence the Vajra.

Probably not. But check the Vimalakirti-Nirdesa Sutra on time-dilation & Bodhisattvas taming sentient beings....
Please stop. And go touch grass.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

PR Master though got everybody talking about him
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Norwegian wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:32 amgo touch grass.

Oh I could definitely do some earthing, TBH.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:49 pm

Yeah, he’s a doofus rich kid. I find it hilarious watching people fawn over him like some depression era “luck and pluck” story. I personally see no need to seek greater meaning here, he thought it was shiny and cool, like Twitter.
There’s so much wrong about this picture. Hopefully he realizes his mistake, perhaps a Dharmapala even helps him learn. It’s doubtful his ego would be able to handle it, though.
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

Musk’s one of those people whose actual character seems to be almost entirely invisible to people. Especially to Americans, being so politically divise, they only seem to be able to see the left or right wing caricature of him. Neither of which bare more than a passing resemblance to small aspects of his personality, and each represent entirely different people. “Elon Musk” is largely a character that lives in peoples’ minds.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Knotty Veneer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:34 pm What on earth would he use it for?
I’m guessing - exotic sex toy. Would fit his personality
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

:alien: Perhaps, is it possible?, he sees the significance of the, what's it called now?, vajra. I suggeat we send a team of experts to assess his tulku potential immediately.

What if it's just high altitude sickness? :mrgreen:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

dharmafootsteps wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:10 am Musk’s one of those people whose actual character seems to be almost entirely invisible to people. Especially to Americans, being so politically divise, they only seem to be able to see the left or right wing caricature of him. Neither of which bare more than a passing resemblance to small aspects of his personality, and each represent entirely different people. “Elon Musk” is largely a character that lives in peoples’ minds.
He just seems like a guy with ASD, poor social skills and lots of money and far out ideas. Beyond being vaguely libertarian (which comes with his social standing) I can’t discern much about what he is really like.

I have to admit somewhat enjoying the Twitter dumpster fire but at this point he seems more clown than villain to me.

I just find it hilarious the way his fan boys have this myth of him being Capitalist Ubermensch, which he is disproving daily….because he is a regular person with money.

If you look at the situation surrounding his purchase of Twitter, it also seems to call into question his basic business acumen, and shows just how juvenile and rose colored his notions of free speech are.

That said, it’s really just an “emperor has no clothes” moment, and could be about anyone.

-Khunu Lama
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Since we're talking about Musk ...
Twitter has rolled back a policy designed to tackle COVID-19 misinformation on the platform, and its former head of trust and safety has warned the company no longer has enough staff for safety work.

The reduction of misinformation measures lends the social media site to the risk of a potential surge in false claims while COVID-19 cases rise in China and some parts of the world.

The move also comes amid concerns about Twitter's ability to fight misinformation after it let go about half of its staff, including those involved in content moderation, under new boss Elon Musk.

"Effective November 23, 2022, Twitter is no longer enforcing the COVID-19 misleading information policy," an update on its blog page said. ...

Under Mr Musk, Twitter has begun to stray from its adherence to written and publicly available policies and move toward content decisions made unilaterally by its new owner — something Mr Roth cited as a reason for his resignation.

"One of my limits was if Twitter starts being ruled by dictatorial edict rather than by policy … there's no longer a need for me in my role, doing what I do," Mr Roth said. 

He said the revamp of the Twitter Blue premium subscription, which would allow users to pay for a verified check mark on their account, launched despite warnings and advice from the trust and safety team.

The launch was quickly beset by spammers impersonating major public companies such as Eli Lilly, Nestle and Lockheed Martin. ...
:reading: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-30/ ... /101717062

:popcorn:
Kim
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Kim O'Hara wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:23 am Since we're talking about Musk ...
Twitter has rolled back a policy designed to tackle COVID-19 misinformation on the platform, and its former head of trust and safety has warned the company no longer has enough staff for safety work.

The reduction of misinformation measures lends the social media site to the risk of a potential surge in false claims while COVID-19 cases rise in China and some parts of the world.

The move also comes amid concerns about Twitter's ability to fight misinformation after it let go about half of its staff, including those involved in content moderation, under new boss Elon Musk.

"Effective November 23, 2022, Twitter is no longer enforcing the COVID-19 misleading information policy," an update on its blog page said. ...

Under Mr Musk, Twitter has begun to stray from its adherence to written and publicly available policies and move toward content decisions made unilaterally by its new owner — something Mr Roth cited as a reason for his resignation.

"One of my limits was if Twitter starts being ruled by dictatorial edict rather than by policy … there's no longer a need for me in my role, doing what I do," Mr Roth said. 

He said the revamp of the Twitter Blue premium subscription, which would allow users to pay for a verified check mark on their account, launched despite warnings and advice from the trust and safety team.

The launch was quickly beset by spammers impersonating major public companies such as Eli Lilly, Nestle and Lockheed Martin. ...
:reading: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-30/ ... /101717062

:popcorn:
Kim
It’s gonna be Parler or Bitchute pretty soon.

-Khunu Lama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:32 pm
If you look at the situation surrounding his purchase of Twitter, it also seems to call into question his basic business acumen, and shows just how juvenile and rose colored his notions of free speech are.
He’s a tech grifter who has managed to keep his grift going for nearly a quarter of a century. He’s never led a company to genuine profitability, not one.

His cars are shit. He just keeps adding investors to keep his enterprises solvent.

His character is irrelevant.

Return to “Lounge”