Did Ch. Namkhai Norbu R. attain rainbow body?

Miorita

Re: Did Ch. Namkhai Norbu R. attain rainbow body?

Post by Miorita »

Can I at least ask if there are any emanations from Rinpoche?
Yes, I would be very happy if it were so. For one I could ask him for refuge from turbid former sect followers. I’m not invincible you know... I may look tough but I’m not a snake charmer.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Miorita wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:02 pm Can I at least ask if there are any emanations from Rinpoche?
Yes, I would be very happy if it were so. For one I could ask him for refuge from turbid former sect followers. I’m not invincible you know... I may look tough but I’m not a snake charmer.

https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 42#p280142
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:46 pm
florin wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:23 am
Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:47 pm

I heard from a reliable source a reincarnation of ChNN has been identified. I have no other details than this, but source is highly placed within the DC.
Does this imply Rinpoche left a letter with instructions?
I imagine, just my guess, that this recognition happened in Tibet, by Tibetans, for Tibetan reasons, which have nothing to do with the DC, Longsal, or even Dzogchen.
That's fine with me! I have no intent on deluding these people.
In fact it's why we have prayer flags, and prayer wheels (some of us), so that the less fortunate benefit.
And then the famous "work with the circumstances" means different things to different people.
Some are individualists and need no guidance. These statues of indifference are useless brains.
I do feel the need of guidance or at least relating to another human being. I'm not a Buddha and won't become one.
Lhundrub

Post by Lhundrub »

Miorita wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:02 pm Can I at least ask if there are any emanations from Rinpoche?
Word on the street is that ChNN has taken rebirth into the Khön family as a grandson of HH Gongma Trichen Rinpoche. The thing is that HH Sakya Trichen only formally recognizes and enthrones Tulkus when there is a unanimous request from the whole Sangha. What would be the chances of IDC coming together and getting behind this? Would be wonderful if it could happen!
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Lhundrub wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:43 pm
Word on the street is that ChNN has taken rebirth into the Khön family as a grandson of HH Gongma Trichen Rinpoche. ......
:o
Lost In Transmission
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Lhundrub wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:43 pm
Word on the street is that ChNN has taken rebirth into the Khön family as a grandson of HH Gongma Trichen Rinpoche. The thing is that HH Sakya Trichen only formally recognizes and enthrones Tulkus when there is a unanimous request from the whole Sangha. What would be the chances of IDC coming together and getting behind this? Would be wonderful if it could happen!
Zero chance whatsoever. Would be wonderful, though.

Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Like I said before, I'd heard that ChNNR had said that he did not want to reincarnate here again, and even one of his Heart Sons seemed to have heard similar directly from Rinpoche. It is possible that he could have changed his mind....

Even though many Sakyapas do practice Mahasandhi, I don't see how any Sakyapa monastery would particularly benefit in an worldly way from recognizing the Tulku of a Guru whose previous Incarnation was known for only wanting to teach Dzogchen and little to no Sakya or Kagyu practices, and also whose previous Tulkus were associated with the Kagyu of Bhutan. Therefore, if this report is true, perhaps Chögyal Namkhai Norbu did change his mind about not reincarnating here again....
Last edited by Sādhaka on Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sādhaka wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:40 pm
Even though many Sakyapas do practice Mahasandhi, I don't see how any Sakyapa monastery would particularly benefit in an worldly way from recognizing the Tulku of a Guru whose previous Incarnation was known for only wanting to teach Dzogchen and little to no Sakya or Kagyu practices, and also whose previous Tulkus were associated with the Kagyu of Bhutan. Therefore, if this report is true, perhaps Chögyal Namkhai Norbu did change his mind about not reincarnating here again....
ChNN was also recognized as the tulku of a Sakya Khenpo. Not only that, but Adzom Drukpa's main teacher was affiliated with Sakya. Not only this, but HHST and CHNN were quite close.

I don't think this has anything to do with ChNN changing his mind. If the tulku is real, it is because ChNN's transcendent state is manifesting that effortlessly.
treehuggingoctopus

Sādhaka wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:40 pm Like I said before, I'd heard that ChNNR had said that he did not want to reincarnate here again, and even one of his Heart Sons seemed to have heard similar directly from Rinpoche. It is possible that he could have changed his mind....

Elio Guarisco, who was also a student of HHST41, claimed that the Sakya education had actually shaped ChNN's approach to the Dharma -- that, apart from Dzogchen, obviously, it had been *the* crucial influence on ChNN.

And, as Malcolm noted, HHST and ChNN were very close. HHST taught in Merigar and elsewhere, gave us relics for our stupas, consecrated them, etc. And I am told that ChNN taught at Sakya centres in Asia and the US, on HHST's invitation.

Edmond Jabès
Damienabel108

Post by Damienabel108 »

If so, I'm guessing it would be the baby.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:38 pm Elio Guarisco, who was also a student of HHST41, claimed that the Sakya education had actually shaped ChNN's approach to the Dharma -- that, apart from Dzogchen, obviously, it had been *the* crucial influence on ChNN.
For anyone raised in Sakya, like myself, that is pretty obvious. ChNN even mentions this many times in autobiographical remarks.
treehuggingoctopus

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:58 pm
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:38 pm Elio Guarisco, who was also a student of HHST41, claimed that the Sakya education had actually shaped ChNN's approach to the Dharma -- that, apart from Dzogchen, obviously, it had been *the* crucial influence on ChNN.
For anyone raised in Sakya, like myself, that is pretty obvious. ChNN even mentions this many times in autobiographical remarks.
Thanks, Loppon-la. Stands to reason: Sakya was the only formal education he received.

Edmond Jabès
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

It's one of the things that made ChNN so great.

Virgo
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:38 pm
Sādhaka wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:40 pm

I don't think this has anything to do with ChNN changing his mind. If the tulku is real, it is because ChNN's transcendent state is manifesting that effortlessly.
This
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

He also went out of his way to not identify with a particular lineage though, there’s that whole story about something like ‘Sakya name tag’ and him feeling out of place when they asked his lineage. Not disputing the significance, but if ChNN felt this way about his own approach, what was the meaning of that anecdote?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:15 pm what was the meaning of that anecdote?
He used to frequently contrast his feeling of strong sectarianism for Sakya with his post-Changchub Dorje POV.

But he also said many times that since his main education was in Sakya, when it came to Sutra and Tantra, he explained things according to the Sakya school. We used to chat a lot about his Sakya college professors.
Last edited by Malcolm on Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

To think that being born in the Khön Sakya family should be some sort of detriment to the development of an individual as a practitioner, is a little strange. If anything, it's a fantastic starting point. If the tulku really is a tulku of Chögyal Namkhai Norbu, then that tulku will encounter Dzogchen again like before. And when that happens, everything will unfold naturally as it will.

When ChNN was born, he was recognized not just as a Drukpa Kagyu tulku but also as a Sakya tulku, as Malcolm mentioned. And he was educated in two very good Sakya monasteries. He had numerous teachers, from many schools and lineages. As far as particularities of lineage and such, he himself said more than once that he was part of the Adzom Drukpa lineage of the Longchen Nyingthig. And, as a Dzogchen practitioner, he truly went beyond.

So I don't see how a Sakya basis was a problem here for ChNN's development.

If it's the case that there is a tulku, then I can only say that I hope for the best, however it manifests. Someone who is in the hands of HH Sakya Trichen is in very good hands.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:17 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:15 pm what was the meaning of that anecdote?
He used to frequently contrast his feeling of strong sectarianism for Sakya with his post-Changchub Dorje POV.

But he also said many times that since his main education was in Sakya, when it came to Sutra and Tantra, he explained things according to the Sakya school. We used to chat a lot about his Sakya college professors.
Yeah, I remember now the parts about being intellectually driven with his pre Dzogchen education.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:15 pm He also went out of his way to not identify with a particular lineage though
Yes and no.

In general, he would always just say he practiced Dzogchen, and left it at that. That was repeated again and again.

But he could also go into specifics if needed. Sometimes (for example referencing accusations of being a Bönpo, which he completely rejected) he would state very clearly that he was part of the Adzom Drukpa lineage of the Longchen Nyingthig. That is something very specific.
heart

Post by heart »

Norwegian wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:28 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:15 pm He also went out of his way to not identify with a particular lineage though
Yes and no.

In general, he would always just say he practiced Dzogchen, and left it at that. That was repeated again and again.

But he could also go into specifics if needed. Sometimes (for example referencing accusations of being a Bönpo, which he completely rejected) he would state very clearly that he was part of the Adzom Drukpa lineage of the Longchen Nyingthig. That is something very specific.
Indeed, that is how Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche describe him in A Marvelous Garland of Rare Gems
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Dzogchen”