Konchok Chidü practice instructions advice please

T@sh!

Konchok Chidü practice instructions advice please

Post by T@sh! »

Hey all,

So in 2019 I received the Konchok Chidü initiation from a Nyingma Lama from Nepal. He didn't give any practice instructions because we all thought we'd see him again in 2020 but then covid hit... Anyway, does anyone perhaps know where I can look on YouTube or any other site for practice instructions and more detailed teachings on the practice as a whole? I have lost contact with the lama, he's not on Facebook and he's not responding to emails.

Thank you :anjali:
heart

Re: Konchok Chidü practice instructions advice please

Post by heart »

T@sh! wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:37 pm Hey all,

So in 2019 I received the Konchok Chidü initiation from a Nyingma Lama from Nepal. He didn't give any practice instructions because we all thought we'd see him again in 2020 but then covid hit... Anyway, does anyone perhaps know where I can look on YouTube or any other site for practice instructions and more detailed teachings on the practice as a whole? I have lost contact with the lama, he's not on Facebook and he's not responding to emails.

Thank you :anjali:
Here are the sadhana and the retreat manual: https://www.nalandatranslation.org/publ ... nd-manual/

Here is the ngondro: https://www.nalandatranslation.org/publ ... liturgies/

And the Ngondro manual: https://www.nalandatranslation.org/publ ... ro-manual/

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
T@sh!

Post by T@sh! »

Thank you very much! :namaste:
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Hi Tashi,

You say that you "received the Konchok Chidü initiation", but you are now looking for practice instructions. Magnus has given you links to a truckload of texts. But there is a question I feel you should ask yourself, namely, how much of a Konchok Chidü empowerment did you receive? The full Konchok Chidü is a "big practice", and often it is not the case that the whole of it is taught or done.

For instance, in the 1980s I received what I thought of at the time as "the" Konchok Chidü empowerment from a Kagyu lama at a centre I used to attend in a nearby city. It was, in a way, unremarkable in that it was a one-afternoon session; the text we obtained and used for regular practice (iirc that was about one hour once a week at the centre) was one published by Samye Ling in Scotland. The thing is, that both the empowerment and text related to the "peaceful guru" section which includes an outer and an inner section, before going straight on then to prayers for auspiciousness and so forth.

The texts Magnus has linked for you, however, cover the full wallop. Practicing that also requires three more empowerments: empowerment for the long-life practice, empowerment for the wrathful guru and empowerment for the dakini. It is much less common to get these empowerments. I was lucky enough to receive them recently, and the empowerments themselves took two days. On top of that, of course, there is the question of all the lungs, for the sadhana and for the commentary, so quite a few hours are needed sitting there to receive those.

I'm assuming you want to do this properly rather than tear ahead attempting sadhanas without transmission. Obviously I have no knowledge at all about what you received - basically I'm just saying this is something you should ask yourself - what did you in fact receive?

And good luck with your practice, of course!
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

:good:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
T@sh!

Post by T@sh! »

Lingpupa wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:38 am Hi Tashi,

You say that you "received the Konchok Chidü initiation", but you are now looking for practice instructions. Magnus has given you links to a truckload of texts. But there is a question I feel you should ask yourself, namely, how much of a Konchok Chidü empowerment did you receive? The full Konchok Chidü is a "big practice", and often it is not the case that the whole of it is taught or done.

For instance, in the 1980s I received what I thought of at the time as "the" Konchok Chidü empowerment from a Kagyu lama at a centre I used to attend in a nearby city. It was, in a way, unremarkable in that it was a one-afternoon session; the text we obtained and used for regular practice (iirc that was about one hour once a week at the centre) was one published by Samye Ling in Scotland. The thing is, that both the empowerment and text related to the "peaceful guru" section which includes an outer and an inner section, before going straight on then to prayers for auspiciousness and so forth.

The texts Magnus has linked for you, however, cover the full wallop. Practicing that also requires three more empowerments: empowerment for the long-life practice, empowerment for the wrathful guru and empowerment for the dakini. It is much less common to get these empowerments. I was lucky enough to receive them recently, and the empowerments themselves took two days. On top of that, of course, there is the question of all the lungs, for the sadhana and for the commentary, so quite a few hours are needed sitting there to receive those.

I'm assuming you want to do this properly rather than tear ahead attempting sadhanas without transmission. Obviously I have no knowledge at all about what you received - basically I'm just saying this is something you should ask yourself - what did you in fact receive?

And good luck with your practice, of course!
Yes, it is an extremely vast practice. I won't be engaging in the practice. I'd just like to study up on it more. The Lama who gave the empowerment did say at the time that I can do the lineage prayer along with the mantras of the protectors for which he also gave me the empowerment.
Passing By

Post by Passing By »

Speaking of Konchok Chidu, Malcolm mentioned a Sumeru Commentary or something like that before. Is it the one linked above or is it another commentary?

I received the peaceful Guru empowerment from Garchen Rinpoche last year and the lung for the KC Guru Drakpo and Simhamukha mantras from Khenchen Lama after that so I would like to study what the cycle says about Dzogchen.
heart

Post by heart »

Passing By wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:34 am Speaking of Konchok Chidu, Malcolm mentioned a Sumeru Commentary or something like that before. Is it the one linked above or is it another commentary?

I received the peaceful Guru empowerment from Garchen Rinpoche last year and the lung for the KC Guru Drakpo and Simhamukha mantras from Khenchen Lama after that so I would like to study what the cycle says about Dzogchen.
"a translation of Jamgön Kongtrül’s Complete Liberation of the Three Realms (Khamsum Yongdröl), dealing with the completion stage of Könchok Chidü"

https://www.nalandatranslation.org/publ ... ning-more/

I think you would need at least a lung to read that text.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

heart wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:46 am
Passing By wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:34 am Speaking of Konchok Chidu, Malcolm mentioned a Sumeru Commentary or something like that before. Is it the one linked above or is it another commentary?

"a translation of Jamgön Kongtrül’s Complete Liberation of the Three Realms (Khamsum Yongdröl), dealing with the completion stage of Könchok Chidü"

/magnus
At the very least, indeed. But is that definitely the one referred to as the "Sumeru" commentary?
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
ratna

Post by ratna »

No, the Sumeru commentary is the bka' 'grel ri rgyal lhun po, one of the original terma texts of the Konchok Chidü.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Thanks, Ratna.
All best wishes

heart

Post by heart »

Lingpupa wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:40 am

/magnus
At the very least, indeed. But is that definitely the one referred to as the "Sumeru" commentary?
It is the only one I found that was translated. It is great.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

merilingpa

Post by merilingpa »

It is a wonderful text and you can get great teachings of the Rushen and Trekchö parts from it by Khandro Kunzang again next year.....
It was a text that Lama Dawa taught several times.
O
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

heart wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:20 pm

/magnus
Just to be clear - you are talking there about the "Liberation of the Three Realms", aren't you?
All best wishes

heart

Post by heart »

Lingpupa wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:33 pm
heart wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:20 pm

/magnus
Just to be clear - you are talking there about the "Liberation of the Three Realms", aren't you?
Yes, Complete Liberation of the Three Realms (Khamsum Yongdröl) it is the Dzogchen instructions for the Konchok Chidu collected by Jamgong Kongtrul.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Passing By

Post by Passing By »

/magnus

ratna wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:46 pm No, the Sumeru commentary is the bka' 'grel ri rgyal lhun po, one of the original terma texts of the Konchok Chidü.
I see, thanks.

Return to “Nyingma”