Finding one’s root guru

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
tibetanintraining

Finding one’s root guru

Post by tibetanintraining »

Has it been something like an instant connection for any of you? He is not my current teacher, or even my current sect. But I saw him and spoke with him a bit today and asked some advice. Normally I’m a little anxious talking to my teacher and asking questions, but there was none of that with this Lama. It was like I had known him forever. I love my current teacher, I love going to the center, but this was just something else. He mentioned part of the problem that I didn’t reveal to him I was struggling with. Could I have met my root guru?

Or maybe I’m going crazy.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Finding one’s root guru

Post by Ayu »

First of all: congrats on this nice experience in the beginning.

I think, root guru is (in Vajrayana) the person you received your main practice from. Possibly even more than one person.

What you perceive about a teacher, is your perception. Time will tell, if that is a real thing or only wishful thinking. If you perceive something negative about them later, possibly this is only your perception as well.

Thersfore it is said, one should observe one's teacher for "12 years". There's nothing wrong with trying to have a look only for a long time.
IMHO, a connected question is: what kind of disciple am I?
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

tibetanintraining wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:48 pm Has it been something like an instant connection for any of you?
No for most, yes for a few.

But in which ever the case, the One that passes you the knowledge or glimpse of your mind's true nature directly or indirectly, should be your root guru. This should be the "connection", not your emotional feeling towards him.

In Vajrayana textbook definition, Root Guru is the teacher upon whom you have received the four major empowerments along with transmission and pith instruction from.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

tibetanintraining wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:48 pm Has it been something like an instant connection for any of you? He is not my current teacher, or even my current sect. But I saw him and spoke with him a bit today and asked some advice. Normally I’m a little anxious talking to my teacher and asking questions, but there was none of that with this Lama. It was like I had known him forever. I love my current teacher, I love going to the center, but this was just something else. He mentioned part of the problem that I didn’t reveal to him I was struggling with. Could I have met my root guru?

maybe you found a very important teacher/guru for you.

root guru means some one who makes you withness, proove, beyhond any doubt or discourse, etc., the fact that you yourself are the same as the buddha we use to talk about.

he might turn into your root guru, that is perfectly possible.

to answer your question, yes. days before met him i dreamed with him, and years after we met, after i meditated enough and as right as i could, eventually i had dreams of my past lives and how i became to met him, helped me become human and taught me the dharma with great love and compassion, gave me many gifts and treasures, blessed me so and so forth. i try to follow his advice 'to the word', since. he is a glorius vajra guru to me. greatest and skillful dharma teacher i ever met.

my root guru is a bit different, there is no much history to tell but became the main direction of my attention ever since. just perfect in every sense. flawless.

you can't choose your root guru, it doesn't work that way. so you better pay attention!
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

tibetanintraining wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:48 pm Has it been something like an instant connection for any of you? He is not my current teacher, or even my current sect. But I saw him and spoke with him a bit today and asked some advice. Normally I’m a little anxious talking to my teacher and asking questions, but there was none of that with this Lama. It was like I had known him forever. I love my current teacher, I love going to the center, but this was just something else. He mentioned part of the problem that I didn’t reveal to him I was struggling with. Could I have met my root guru?

It can be all kinds of ways, but you’ll know I think. For me the clincher was that his explanations answered all the big Dharma questions that bothered me. Like I just watched an Dzogcgen intro talk by him and it answered a bunch of years worth of questions, made them simple rather than complex and burdensome.

Once I started actually following his teachings I relaxed and it seemed like everything made more sense, eventually he pointed out what was always there, but I’d had a hard time seeing. I never even met him in person, but somehow he had this effect that others haven’t- as much as I value all the teachers I’ve had/have, even when I knew them in person. I feel like he opened the Dharma for me. His teachings made me value everything else I’ve done more, and even today his influence makes me not take any of it for granted, including relationships with other teachers that I’ve had before, and those I have now.

Now that he’s gone his viewpoint on things is what I go back to when confused, his explanations always resolve questions rather than producing new ones.

There’s no right thing here though, I think it’s best to build faith and trust in teachings in general, really apply oneself. Whatever we need will develop from that, it does not need to this forced search for the One True Teacher, and probably shouldn’t be.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”