Karma and Consequences

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Leo Rivers

Karma and Consequences

Post by Leo Rivers »

This was originally written for the anger thread. :evil:
1. Intention 2. Action 3. Satisfaction
The above 3 Parts of an Action was what I was taught.

But 2 complaints always came up for me.

There was the push back from women who balked at accepting that someone who is raped "deserved it" because of something they did in a past life. Being told the rapest was making their own horrible karma didn't really seem enough of an answer.

And...

Let's say I burned my neigbour's shed out of revenge. I wanted to see it burn. I lit it on fire. And I grinned like a fool to see that sucker burn! But the fire spread across the grass to the corner market and to my horror caught fire and burned down.

Will I suffer karma for that market with all 3 parts of an action causing act missing? If so, ... :thinking:
reiun

Re: Karma and Consequences

Post by reiun »

Having conversations with women suggesting rape is deserved, whether just a philosophical argument or not, is a karna all of its own.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

This gets brought up a lot.
Rape, disabilities, illness, etc.
Take your pick.
It’s a total misunderstanding of karma.
Karma is not about victim-blaming.
Karma isn’t some cosmic system
of punishments and rewards.

I recommend listening to the first couple of episodes of this podcast
“What’s Karma Got To Do With It?” Link:
https://urbandharmancpodcast.wordpress.com/
Last edited by PadmaVonSamba on Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Leo Rivers wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:55 am Let's say I burned my neigbour's shed out of revenge. I wanted to see it burn. I lit it on fire. And I grinned like a fool to see that sucker burn! But the fire spread across the grass to the corner market and to my horror caught fire and burned down.

Will I suffer karma for that market with all 3 parts of an action causing act missing? If so, ... :thinking:
Let’s suppose then that the store owner collected a huge insurance payout and was able to build a bigger store with new equipment and inventory.
Would you then get good karmic results?
But then let’s suppose that this bigger store becomes a magnet for armed robbers and the owner gets killed. Does your karma score go down again?

It’s endless speculation. That’s why you can’t look at karma this way. Up and down, down and up. Where is the cut-off point when all phenomena is dependently arising?
Otherwise you are just better off playing the stock market.
EMPTIFUL.
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

I believe these tools are a means to remind us to accept responcibilty for curating our conduct. The seeds of our deeds as they say.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Leo Rivers wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:55 am
Being told the rapest was making their own horrible karma didn't really seem enough of an answer.
while that’s true, it’s about the perpetrator, not about the victim.
EMPTIFUL.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Leo Rivers wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:55 amWill I suffer karma for that market with all 3 parts of an action causing act missing? If so, ... :thinking:
The main element of karma is intention, and the main effect is in one's experience. It's less about external events, but more about how events are sensed and interpreted. So the karma one suffers for is in the quality of the experience primarily, not much in the specific happenings.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Tao

Post by Tao »

Agree.

Karmic seeds are stored in Alaya, and that's "your" mind. Not an universal mind

That's why (Astus cited):

> The main element of karma is intention, and the main effect is in one's experience.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

reiun wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:45 am Having conversations with women suggesting rape is deserved, whether just a philosophical argument or not, is a karma all of its own.
It's just like telling parents "Your child deserved dieing." or
telling starving people "You deserved poverty."

It is bound to be contra-productive to try to explain karma like this. How can people understand the arguments as long as they are being offended in first place?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Karma as I always maintained is causality as pertains to the ethical universe. It's an essential feature of certain moral systems we're familiar with and it seems to square with how things work e.g. as some say, what goes around comes around.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Leo Rivers wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:55 am This was originally written for the anger thread. :evil:
1. Intention 2. Action 3. Satisfaction
The above 3 Parts of an Action was what I was taught.

But 2 complaints always came up for me.

There was the push back from women who balked at accepting that someone who is raped "deserved it" because of something they did in a past life. Being told the rapest was making their own horrible karma didn't really seem enough of an answer.

And...

Let's say I burned my neigbour's shed out of revenge. I wanted to see it burn. I lit it on fire. And I grinned like a fool to see that sucker burn! But the fire spread across the grass to the corner market and to my horror caught fire and burned down.

The way to understand karma is how actions cause distractions and reactions to pile on.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”