Visualisations for 7 chapter prayer

Soma999

Visualisations for 7 chapter prayer

Post by Soma999 »

Hello,

For all Guru Rinpoche lover, here are the description of the visualisations for the 7 chapter prayer :

https://www.saraswatipublications.org/l ... 452e9a1048

Highly recommended !
Lingpupa

Re: Visualisations for 7 chapter prayer

Post by Lingpupa »

That is very kind of Saraswati Bhawan
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Dharmasagara

Post by Dharmasagara »

Wonderful! Thanks to Sarasvati and for posting it here.
dawn of peace

Post by dawn of peace »

Soma999 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:37 pm Hello,

For all Guru Rinpoche lover, here are the description of the visualisations for the 7 chapter prayer :

https://www.saraswatipublications.org/l ... 452e9a1048

Highly recommended !
does it need initiation or oral transmission?
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Oral transmission, yes, of course. Empowerment, yes, there are empowerments (I believe 13 of them that go with the 13 main activity prayers of Chapter 7). However, you can recite these prayers without empowerment. It is commonly done. Oral transmission is enough for front visualization, especially if one has had at least one Guru Rinpoche empowerment. Myself and my Dharma friends do these prayers every day. My Teacher only gave me oral transmission. He did give the empowerments, but I was never lucky enought o receive them and He still very much encouraged doing this practice.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

Normaly oral transmission is required for tantra.

If you don’t have oral transmission, and burn inside to do those prayers, i would recite them,

If you don’t feel good doing it without an empowerment or lung, perform guru yoga, receive the four empowerments, ask to be blessed and initiated for those prayers, and perform them.

Read what Garchen Rinpoche say if you feel interested in his teachings :

https://garchen.net/wp-content/uploads/ ... aching.pdf
If you have bodhicitta, you can take a self-empowerment, you can receive a self-transmission or a blessing conferred with a text placed onto your crown. If you really want to practice the Dharma, you can give the transmission to yourself. There are some who have a lot of faith and really want to practice, but they are told that without having received empowerment and transmission, they are not allowed to look at the text. They want to know it so badly, but they feel that there is no way without the empowerment. Actually, they can also receive it over the phone and so on. People have received empowerment through livestream from His Holiness the Dalai Lama. If you understand the meaning of the empowerment, it is not absolutely necessary to receive the vase on your crown.
dawn of peace

Post by dawn of peace »

pemachophel wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:47 am Oral transmission is enough for front visualization, especially if one has had at least one Guru Rinpoche empowerment.
can people receive transmission through listening to the audio?
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

No. We have been over this again and again in the last couple of years. Lung/oral transmission must take place simultaneously with the person who is giving the lung. It cannot be received from a recording. It must be in real time. If not, then we should just forget about lung altogether.

Even only a couple-few years ago, most Lamas would have said lung must received live and in person, not via electronic or broadcast means. So this is already an "evolution" in position as a result of COVID-19.

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Just a side comment about this tradition--in Kongtrul's retreat structure at Tsadra Rinchen Drak, these prayers, and the visualizations, were a framework of daily practice, often used to open or close a session of practice. One often does these as "preliminary" to whatever practice one is doing. For example, an extract of the Prayer Requested by Tsogyal is one of the first recitations every morning upon awakening from sleep. Throughout the day, these prayers are incorporated into various activities.

I am quite fond of these.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Soma999 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:44 am Normaly oral transmission is required for tantra.

If you don’t have oral transmission, and burn inside to do those prayers, i would recite them,

If you don’t feel good doing it without an empowerment or lung, perform guru yoga, receive the four empowerments, ask to be blessed and initiated for those prayers, and perform them.

If you have bodhicitta, you can take a self-empowerment, you can receive a self-transmission or a blessing conferred with a text placed onto your crown. If you really want to practice the Dharma, you can give the transmission to yourself. There are some who have a lot of faith and really want to practice, but they are told that without having received empowerment and transmission, they are not allowed to look at the text. They want to know it so badly, but they feel that there is no way without the empowerment. Actually, they can also receive it over the phone and so on. People have received empowerment through livestream from His Holiness the Dalai Lama. If you understand the meaning of the empowerment, it is not absolutely necessary to receive the vase on your crown.
This particular advice relates to the Lord Jigten Sumgon 'Empowerment of Samadhi' which you need transmission for where you can empower a Sadhana if I remember correctly

Edit I just re-read that teaching and what I remembered is correct
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

The samadhi empowerment is the transmission of the four empowerments, with Chakrasamvara.

It is in fact like all self-empowerment. All deities share the same essence.

Most important is what someone understands of the empowerments. The text gives good understanding.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:04 pm
Soma999 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:44 am Normaly oral transmission is required for tantra.

This particular advice relates to the Lord Jigten Sumgon 'Empowerment of Samadhi' which you need transmission for where you can empower a Sadhana if I remember correctly

So, does this mean that Garchen Rinpoche specifically refers to a certain empowerment, for which you need prior transmission? And, once one has that transmission, one can take empowerment from a text?

And:
Soma999 wrote: The samadhi empowerment is the transmission of the four empowerments, with Chakrasamvara.

Most important is what someone understands of the empowerments. The text gives good understanding.
Are you saying this is a specific empowerment related to Chakrasamvara?

There are "Samadhi empowerments" that exist elsewhere--in the Shangpa Kagyu we have a few. They all depend on at least one actual Wangkur/Wangchen having been received previously....usually the Wangchen of Niguma's Samvara and/or the Wangchen of Five Tantra's Deities.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

conebeckham wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:05 pm

So, does this mean that Garchen Rinpoche specifically refers to a certain empowerment, for which you need prior transmission? And, once one has that transmission, one can take empowerment from a text?
He gave the transmission for whats known as Lord Jigten Sumgon's Samadhi Empowerment which is a text which then self-empowers Sadhana's that you would like to empower. I received the transmission at the Milarepa Empowerment live online in 2018.

Haven't used the text a lot you can source it from the Buddha Visions website to have a look
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

conebeckham wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:05 pm

And:
Soma999 wrote: The samadhi empowerment is the transmission of the four empowerments, with Chakrasamvara.

Are you saying this is a specific empowerment related to Chakrasamvara?

There are "Samadhi empowerments" that exist elsewhere--in the Shangpa Kagyu we have a few. They all depend on at least one actual Wangkur/Wangchen having been received previously....usually the Wangchen of Niguma's Samvara and/or the Wangchen of Five Tantra's Deities.
They use Chakrasamvara because it is a major yidam of Drikung Kagyu.

Yes you need of course to be empowered first. As all deities share the same essence, and in fact it is the Guru also in the form of the Yidam, this self-empowerment opens to all transmissions, once the meaning of the four empowerments is understood.
dawn of peace

Post by dawn of peace »

pemachophel wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:43 pm this is already an "evolution" in position as a result of COVID-19.
this is not entirely true,Drukpa Choegon Rinpoche is one of highest lamas in Drukpa Kagyu, who also said that one could receive transmission through recording, even before the pandemic.

He said:
Oral transmission is best to receive from a living master in person. If that is impossible at that time, listening to the chant of a qualified master they know and have faith in could serve the purpose (as the alternative of an actual oral transmission) … it is better than not receiving any transmission. In this case, they have to listen to the recording few times with faith, trust and devotion. Then, they may start reciting the mantra. Most importantly is the sound of recitation. Oral transmission is all about sound and the blessings transmitted through it.
https://drukpachoegon.org/on-vanjrayana-mantra

Return to “Nyingma”