How to prepare for taking refuge

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Pårl

How to prepare for taking refuge

Post by Pårl »

I have posted here a few times lately. I intend to take refuge at my local template next year.

But i want to go into this with the right mind, right, thought, right intention.

Can anybody share their own experiences or thought process before going for refuge or recommend any pre-reading. I'm of course willing to wait another year if that is what is needed. But insintictively feel this is the point I have reach on my path and this would be a major milestone on my way to taking my boddhisattva vows.

Any thoughts, recommendations, advice and experiences to share?

Many thanks, always,

Paul
tibetanintraining

Re: How to prepare for taking refuge

Post by tibetanintraining »

Pårl wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:09 am I have posted here a few times lately. I intend to take refuge at my local template next year.

But i want to go into this with the right mind, right, thought, right intention.

Can anybody share their own experiences or thought process before going for refuge or recommend any pre-reading. I'm of course willing to wait another year if that is what is needed. But insintictively feel this is the point I have reach on my path and this would be a major milestone on my way to taking my boddhisattva vows.

Any thoughts, recommendations, advice and experiences to share?

Many thanks, always,

Paul

Good morning,

I took refuge last week, so I can share my insight and what my guru shared with us. I'm coming from a Tibetan tradition, so there may be slight differences depending on your tradition. We were instructed to read the section on refuge from the book "Liberation in the palm of your hand" by Pabongkha Rinpoche. Most of us were about halfway through a 2yr course called Discovering Buddhism (its an FPMT center), which was easily the best preparation I've gotten. My guru also gave a lecture on refuge that is posted on our center's website, if you message me I can link you if you'd like.

Big love,
Rin
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Pårl wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:09 am But i want to go into this with the right mind, right, thought, right intention.
With this statement, it sounds like you already have the right mind, right, thought, right intention.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Pårl

Post by Pårl »

Many thanks both! It's an important commitment, and one I intend to live by.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”