Lama Jampa Thaye

philji

Lama Jampa Thaye

Post by philji »

The esteemed teacher Lama Jampa Thaye seems to be very active in teaching and spreading the dharma. Dechen centres are worldwide and I hear many good things about him.
I am wondering if anyone knows where and when he did his three year retreat or any other aspects of his training.
He is often treated with great honour…high thrones etc like a Rinpoche.
I mean no disrespect to him or his followers just a genuine curiosity.
Speakerfone

Re: Lama Jampa Thaye

Post by Speakerfone »

Hi,
Weird.... I just thought I'd do a search for Lama Jampa as he's my teacher and it's interesting to see whether people are talking about him... And so I saw your question.

Lama Jampa hasn't done a 3 year retreat... That's not necessary. He was authorised in the 70's to teach by Karma Thinley Rinpoche and his main teachers include HH Sakya Trichen and the 16th Karmapa. He is a traditional teacher and doesn't water down the teachings for Western consumption/tastes. He teaches in Kagyu and Sakya. There are books available by him if you're interested. River of Memory is a record of the teachings he's received and would perhaps give you confidence in his authenticity if that's what you're looking for.
Best regards,
Simon
philji

Post by philji »

Thanks🙏🏻
jamesrigzin

Post by jamesrigzin »

Karma Thinley Rinpoche is incredible and powerful (and. Is quite old). I lived in his centre in Toronto for a couple years.
Not that I’m an old timer, but I’ve never experienced a more harmonious, quiet, and humble sangha in my life!
FWIW, in my mind if he endorsed Lama Jampa Thaye, he’s surely worth looking into deeper.
Speakerfone

Post by Speakerfone »

Hi James, when did you live there? My wife and I visited back in 2005! Maybe you were living there at the time. We met two guys at his centre in Toronto...
jamesrigzin

Post by jamesrigzin »

Hey deemoid!
It wasn’t 2005, no, I’m more of a new-timer.
I was there from 2014-2017.

An amazing example of a sangha that truly practices what they preach.
rupam

Post by rupam »

philji wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:08 am The esteemed teacher Lama Jampa Thaye seems to be very active in teaching and spreading the dharma. Dechen centres are worldwide and I hear many good things about him.
I am wondering if anyone knows where and when he did his three year retreat or any other aspects of his training.
Be careful. I know Western teachers who are practicing Dzogchen and completed Ngondro and three roots but are more humble than that lama and have less students. Lama in the question has “authorization” and we have to respect the authorization he received but that’s all we know in terms of qualifications. It’s up to you to choose if you want someone authorized or you want someone trained and tested.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

rupam wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:18 am
philji wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:08 am The esteemed teacher Lama Jampa Thaye seems to be very active in teaching and spreading the dharma. Dechen centres are worldwide and I hear many good things about him.
Be careful. I know Western teachers who are practicing Dzogchen and completed Ngondro and three roots but are more humble than that lama and have less students. Lama in the question has “authorization” and we have to respect the authorization he received but that’s all we know in terms of qualifications. It’s up to you to choose if you want someone authorized or you want someone trained and tested.
I have a good Dharma friend who is a Sakya student of long standing. He is in no doubt that Lama Jampa is the real thing.
But as always, caveat emptor.
Incidentally I do not think that Lama Jampa teaches Dzogchen. I might be mistaken.
laowhining

Post by laowhining »

I have a Vajra brother who started studying dharma first with Lama Jampa and was denied the opportunity to have a private teacher-student interview with him after going to receive teachings from another Lama. He was told something about how he could only have that privilege if Lama Jampa is his only teacher. I don’t know if that says anything about his qualifications but seems a little strange to me.
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

laowhining wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:55 pm I have a Vajra brother who started studying dharma first with Lama Jampa and was denied the opportunity to have a private teacher-student interview with him after going to receive teachings from another Lama. He was told something about how he could only have that privilege if Lama Jampa is his only teacher. I don’t know if that says anything about his qualifications but seems a little strange to me.

It may sound interesting, however it is risky to interfere in private interaction between disciple and his or her teacher. We do not know why the lama in question told such things to this particular individual. I saw myself when the same teacher said to one disciple - do not go to other teacher - and to another disciple gave permission without any comment. He had his own reason, and frankly I do not know what it was.
The main opoint is if we are able to follow faithfuly the teacher whom we have chosen or on the contrary, we keep to our habitual opinions, emotions, thoughts and may fail. But in the situation pointed above, it could be something completely else, and I guess all of us do not know it, but we may post our own limited opinions on the matter. One has to be very cautious with own teacher regardless of the tradition one follows.

Anyway the problem is going on for almost 3000 years, and even most exolted one, Shakamuni Buddha, as a teacher of humans was challanged by unfaithful disciples. I think that people in the West have ever bigger problem with faithful following of a teacher. Poeple have definitely more opinions and 'know' haw things 'should ' be, campare to Asian followers.

But as I said we simply do not know the situation with exeption of private report of someones interaction with the teacher, which means we still know nothing about it.
laowhining

Post by laowhining »

Matylda wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:20 pm But as I said we simply do not know the situation with exeption of private report of someones interaction with the teacher, which means we still know nothing about it.
This isn't true. We know he wants at least some of his students to not study with other teachers. Your story tells us it's not a universal expectation, and we don't know why he has this view, but if someone wants to have the freedom to study with other teachers, it could be good to know.

I don't know anything about the guy other than the second-hand account I shared. I know nothing of his qualifications or realization. I just felt the info might be useful if someone is considering connecting with him as their teacher.
Matylda wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:20 pm people in the West have ever bigger problem with faithful following of a teacher. Poeple have definitely more opinions and 'know' haw things 'should ' be, campare to Asian followers.
I think it's unfair and a little dangerous to say that wanting to receive teachings from other teachers is solely due to a lack of faith.

It's also ironic that you're criticizing Westerners for knowing how things should be when you're in turn at least implying that the way you think "Asian followers" behave is the model of how things should be.
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

laowhining wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:12 am
I think it's unfair and a little dangerous to say that wanting to receive teachings from other teachers is solely due to a lack of faith.

It's also ironic that you're criticizing Westerners for knowing how things should be when you're in turn at least implying that the way you think "Asian followers" behave is the model of how things should be.
Yes, of course it is only due to lack of faith and karmic habits of cherishing ones view, though completely off the track and unenlightened. What else could be an obstacle?
And there is another point. One is never a slave to any teacher. One has the freedom to leave for any reason. Just one can go on and seek for somebody else.
laowhining

Post by laowhining »

Matylda wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:20 am Yes, of course it is only due to lack of faith and karmic habits of cherishing ones view, though completely off the track and unenlightened. What else could be an obstacle?
Most if not all of the greatest teachers in our various lineages had many teachers from whom they received different teachings. Did they lack faith? Were they at fault?

We all cherish our own view, we think we're right and that we really understand things. That's a universal fault, whether you study with a single teacher or many. I don't think anything useful comes from criticizing people who receive teachings from many teachers any more than I think it's useful to criticize people who only ever stick with one teacher. We all have our karma, however it ends up manifesting.
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

laowhining wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:40 pm
Matylda wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:20 am Yes, of course it is only due to lack of faith and karmic habits of cherishing ones view, though completely off the track and unenlightened. What else could be an obstacle?
Most if not all of the greatest teachers in our various lineages had many teachers from whom they received different teachings. Did they lack faith? Were they at fault?
No, but what is the point? Do you mean that any fellow could be compared to the 'great teachers'? This kind of argument is risky. I do not see around any people who possibly are going to be 'great teachers'. Not in any tradition.
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

laowhining wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:40 pm
We all cherish our own view, we think we're right and that we really understand things. That's a universal fault, whether you study with a single teacher or many. I don't think anything useful comes from criticizing people who receive teachings from many teachers any more than I think it's useful to criticize people who only ever stick with one teacher. We all have our karma, however it ends up manifesting.
Cherishing a common view is irrelevant to the number of teachers one is going to see. There is no critique of studying with more than one teacher. You warned here people to be careful with certain lama, right? You even did not meet him, right? So... now you turn the table and claim that there is a critique of one versus many teachers, no there is not.

I wrote something completely else. That it may happen that responsible teacher for some reason may warn a disciple not to go and see other teacher. In a particular situation, and it is more individualized situation. Not a rule. I have seen it myself, and may confirm that it happens. If people have no faith in the teacher they are not going to follow his or her instruction. Tha is all.
laowhining

Post by laowhining »

Matylda wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:29 pm No, but what is the point? Do you mean that any fellow could be compared to the 'great teachers'? This kind of argument is risky. I do not see around any people who possibly are going to be 'great teachers'. Not in any tradition.
They were normal people before they were great lineage holders.
Matylda wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:38 pm You warned here people to be careful with certain lama, right?
No, not right. I shared the second-hand anecdote because think it can be good to be aware that he seems to have a policy that limits his interaction with students that have teachers other than him. That's all. He might be qualified, he might not be, I have no way of knowing. However, he seems to place limitations on his students and I know that I wouldn't want that, so I figure other people would appreciate the info.

Matylda wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:20 pm The main opoint is if we are able to follow faithfuly the teacher whom we have chosen or on the contrary, we keep to our habitual opinions, emotions, thoughts and may fail. ... I think that people in the West have ever bigger problem with faithful following of a teacher. Poeple have definitely more opinions and 'know' haw things 'should ' be, campare to Asian followers.
I interpreted these comments as meaning that you believe it's a lack of faith to want to study with more than one teacher. Is that not the case? If not, then there's probably no disagreement.
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

laowhining wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:33 pm
No, mostly they were not, what is clear from their biographies. We are 'normal'. Great masters did a lot of practice in their past lives, it makes big difference. We struggle with very basic problems in practice. Don`t we? It is source of our uncertanity and doubts. And they were faithful, to the bottom what we lack in modern times. We have our own wits, on which we base our judgments. But, they are useless, since they are not based on any genuine wisdom. Just common emotions fears and likes/dislikes... just like everyone else.
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

However, he seems to place limitations on his students and I know that I wouldn't want that, so I figure other people would appreciate the info.
Yes you are right and it is exactly the turning point why we are normal, in comparison to the great masters.
I interpreted these comments as meaning that you believe it's a lack of faith to want to study with more than one teacher. Is that not the case?
No, not at all. But I read about this lama and he had more than one teacher. I asked a person who was his disciple, and as second or third hand info he is very accomplished in sakya practice, completed all major retreats of that tradition. So he seems to hold two lineages like kagyu and sakya.

There is no problem with studying with more than one teacher unless we get permission from the teacher with whom we practice. Of course we may leave a teacher for good, for some reason, and go on somewhere else, but this is another way of doing things. To master one practice is a hard tusk, and we may not be ready to go and take instructions from another person. I mean practice in depth, which gives a real perspective of some achievement. In this sense it is a beneficial way. Otherwise, one may spend time on shallow waters, seeing this and that, without real commitment.

Since in the meantime I asked about this particular lama, I have to admit, that I heard only good opinions. I asked about him because I heard his name a few times in the past. So it was somehow easy to collect information.
laowhining

Post by laowhining »

Matylda wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:02 am
No, mostly they were not, what is clear from their biographies. We are 'normal'. Great masters did a lot of practice in their past lives, it makes big difference. We struggle with very basic problems in practice. Don`t we? It is source of our uncertanity and doubts. And they were faithful, to the bottom what we lack in modern times. We have our own wits, on which we base our judgments. But, they are useless, since they are not based on any genuine wisdom. Just common emotions fears and likes/dislikes... just like everyone else.
Some but not all. And if you really want to get particular about it, if you go back far enough they started as normal beings like us.

This probably isn't the right place for this, but I've always felt it's a bit of a shame that the efforts of so many practitioners get wiped away by this insistence that present realization is because they were someone special in a past life.
Matylda wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:19 am There is no problem with studying with more than one teacher unless we get permission from the teacher with whom we practice. Of course we may leave a teacher for good, for some reason, and go on somewhere else, but this is another way of doing things. To master one practice is a hard tusk, and we may not be ready to go and take instructions from another person. I mean practice in depth, which gives a real perspective of some achievement. In this sense it is a beneficial way. Otherwise, one may spend time on shallow waters, seeing this and that, without real commitment.
Practitioners, especially in the beginning, should taste the nectar of various teachings, like a bee going from flower to flower. This is not my own idea, it's an instruction I've received from several of my teachers. Of course, eventually we have to settle down and dig deep into what we've received if we want to get anywhere, and it's meaningless to constantly pop from teacher to teacher. However, to categorically state that receiving teachings from different teachers is evidence of lack of faith and not being serious is very limited, imo.
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

laowhining wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:49 pm However, to categorically state that receiving teachings from different teachers is evidence of lack of faith and not being serious is very limited, imo.
Of course it is nothing wrong with seeing different teachers in the beginning; nobody expects from the newcomer to be aware of what is good for oneself. But there is time to settle down. Then one has to focus on one thing, one teacher, at least for some longer time; otherwise one will never learn anything. If a teacher who is reliable makes a strong remark, do not move, stay, and you will get proper benefit, then it is what one should do. Lack of faith is commonly spread in this world and time.

Return to “Sakya”