Lama Jampa Thaye

Malcolm

Re: Lama Jampa Thaye

Post by Malcolm »

Matylda wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:44 am
laowhining wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:49 pm However, to categorically state that receiving teachings from different teachers is evidence of lack of faith and not being serious is very limited, imo.
Of course it is nothing wrong with seeing different teachers in the beginning; nobody expects from the newcomer to be aware of what is good for oneself. But there is time to settle down. Then one has to focus on one thing, one teacher, at least for some longer time; otherwise one will never learn anything. If a teacher who is reliable makes a strong remark, do not move, stay, and you will get proper benefit, then it is what one should do. Lack of faith is commonly spread in this world and time.
Hi Matylda:

Vajrayāna does not work the way Zen does.

Even if one is very committed to one teacher, in Tibetan Buddhism it is common practice to receive teachings from many other teachers, and is quite encouraged.

Most Vajrayāna practitioners have multiple teachers in multiple lineages, including David Stott aka Lama Jampa Thaye. Of course, if Lama Jampa Thaye does not wish to mentor people, who like himself, have multiple teachers, that's entirely his prerogative.

My personal approach to this issue is that I don't answer questions from students about transmissions they've received from other teachers. But it does not mean I refuse to discuss things with them or meet with them, etc. But my preferences are not everyones' and I would hesitate to negatively judge Lama Jampa, just as I would hesitate to judge the student who expressed dissatisfaction in being told that he or she, unawares, have entered into an exclusive relationship. There is no one right way here.
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:26 am
Matylda wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:44 am
laowhining wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:49 pm However, to categorically state that receiving teachings from different teachers is evidence of lack of faith and not being serious is very limited, imo.
Of course it is nothing wrong with seeing different teachers in the beginning; nobody expects from the newcomer to be aware of what is good for oneself. But there is time to settle down. Then one has to focus on one thing, one teacher, at least for some longer time; otherwise one will never learn anything. If a teacher who is reliable makes a strong remark, do not move, stay, and you will get proper benefit, then it is what one should do. Lack of faith is commonly spread in this world and time.
Hi Matylda:

Vajrayāna does not work the way Zen does.

Even if one is very committed to one teacher, in Tibetan Buddhism it is common practice to receive teachings from many other teachers, and is quite encouraged.

Most Vajrayāna practitioners have multiple teachers in multiple lineages, including David Stott aka Lama Jampa Thaye. Of course, if Lama Jampa Thaye does not wish to mentor people, who like himself, have multiple teachers, that's entirely his prerogative.

My personal approach to this issue is that I don't answer questions from students about transmissions they've received from other teachers. But it does not mean I refuse to discuss things with them or meet with them, etc. But my preferences are not everyones' and I would hesitate to negatively judge Lama Jampa, just as I would hesitate to judge the student who expressed dissatisfaction in being told that he or she, unawares, have entered into an exclusive relationship. There is no one right way here.
Dear Acharya

Yes, I am aware of this, and have no doubts. I just responded to the very particular situation when the lama in question did make a comment on the student who went to another teacher.
First, I do not know what the reason was. Might be a good one, but maybe not.
Second, the other teacher, I do not know who it was. Maybe not very legit as people call it here.
Third, Lama Jampa Thaye has a rather very good reputation, and as far as I heard, is responsible and has common sense.

So these 3 things made me wonder about the whole thing.
My guess is that if another teacher is questionable, then lama could say do not go. Am I wrong? Friend of mine, and student of Lama Jampa Thaye could without any problem take wang from HH Sakya Trizin or his sister, sorry, I forgot her name. So it did not sound like Lama Jampa Thaye forbids his students to go to other teachers, in this case teachers who have a great reputation.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

If you read enough of this teacher's stuff, you will get a good idea about what he's about, his attitudes towards things, and whether he is a good match for you.

I would not make any commitments to him until you have done so. As rupam said, number of students is not really a good category to make judgements with.

Return to “Sakya”