Question about offerings to Mahakala in the Sakya

As Tantra often involves vows and samaya related to secret practice, this sub-forum has been created where Vajrayana practitioners can pose questions, and any of our members or staff can reply confidentially by PM.
kunga1

Question about offerings to Mahakala in the Sakya

Post by kunga1 »

I have a Sakya yidam practice that includes concise torma offerings to the dharma protectors.
I have not received a separate serkyem practice.

I have been offering torma in the form of serkyem to the different forms of Mahakala specified in the text -- I fill the serkyem in the morning with black tea and put some rice at the top with a biscuit before my morning sadhana.
But I do not do the actual offering until the evening. But at that point the tea is cold.

My question is, what time of day is best to make the offering?

I have been told different things from different people. I have heard it's fine to fill in morning and offer at night. Others say they offer it all in the morning. I have read things that say one should make serkyem offerings while the tea is hot. I'm a bit confused about this and have only been more confused the couple times I have asked Khenpos about this, as they say different things.

Thank you very much!

Return to “Buddhist Tantra Talk”