Counting breaths while meditation

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Jokingfish

Counting breaths while meditation

Post by Jokingfish »

Is it useful? It makes me able to be less distracted for meditation, but the counting itself could be a distraction, yes?

6 years ago i tried counting breaths while walking, got more than a thousand with some distractions apart from counting and breathing. Wasn't an active meditator, also.

I remembered this idea of counting breaths today, did a sitting meditation, got more than 200 with no distractions apart from breathing itself and numbers. While if not counting, i usually get distracted BY thoughts and get like upto 10 breaths with zero distraction, completely in breathing.

Is counting itself a distraction? Is it better to be constantly distracted by numbers, or get more frequently distracted by thoughts and ideas without counting but getting less breaths, more distraction, but no counting?

I personally have an idea that its probably good especially if you're a beginner like me, but not sure.

Ty.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Counting breaths while meditation

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

It’s a great technique for focus, as the counting engages the conceptual mind in counting instead of jumping around everywhere. Generally it’s a “beginning” technique but that doesn’t mean much, if it works for you it works.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Jokingfish wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:25 pm Is it useful? It makes me able to be less distracted for meditation, but the counting itself could be a distraction, yes?
Yes, and yes.
I was taught to count 21 breaths and start over.
If you try to see how far you can count, then you might lose the important quality of meditation being ‘without a goal’ .
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

hmm, interesting I usually do just one, make the one last and the next one is also one.. so a constant returning not 2 or 3 or whatever. same thing. :thanks:
reiun

Post by reiun »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:15 pm It’s a great technique for focus, as the counting engages the conceptual mind in counting instead of jumping around everywhere. Generally it’s a “beginning” technique but that doesn’t mean much, if it works for you it works.
In fact, susokan is a profound method in zazen meditation in which samadhi is cultivated.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:15 pm It’s a great technique for focus, as the counting engages the conceptual mind in counting instead of jumping around everywhere. Generally it’s a “beginning” technique but that doesn’t mean much, if it works for you it works.
:good:
And because its primary purpose is to keep the conceptual mind occupied, the number of breaths counted (or how they are counted) makes very little difference. In my beginning meditation class I was taught to count 9 breaths and start over (and at first I could hardly get to 9 without being distracted :emb: ). In my yoga class, we are told to count 1-2-3-4-5 on the in-breath, 1-2-3 pausing with lungs full, 1-2-3-4-5 on the out-breath, 1-2-3 pausing with lungs empty ... and it works just as well.

:namaste:
Kim
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

DharmaJunior wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:43 pm hmm, interesting I usually do just one, make the one last and the next one is also one.. so a constant returning not 2 or 3 or whatever. same thing. :thanks:
So, a person could just count “one…one…one…” over and over again?
Sounds good.
My Thai monk friend teaches to inhale “bu—” and exhale “—ddho”
EMPTIFUL.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Jokingfish wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:25 pm Is counting itself a distraction?
There is a teaching by Mingyur Rinpoche, which I think is on YouTube, where he explains that all mind-focusing techniques are still distractions, but as he describes the mind using the old analogy of a monkey jumping around in a little house looking out all of the different windows (this represents the various sense organs) the breathing meditation gives the monkey one single thing to focus on.

So, it’s a single-one pointed distraction. With that, calming the mind and slipping into a deeper meditation state is then possible,
EMPTIFUL.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:36 am
DharmaJunior wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:43 pm hmm, interesting I usually do just one, make the one last and the next one is also one.. so a constant returning not 2 or 3 or whatever. same thing. :thanks:
Sounds good.
The only thing against it is that it may not be enough to keep the conceptual mind engaged. [/quote]
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:36 amMy Thai monk friend teaches to inhale “bu—” and exhale “—ddho”
That can also be thought of as mantra meditation. There's nothing at all wrong with that, of course, but it's not quite the same as occupying the monkey mind with a rather mechanical task.

Kim
oryoki

Post by oryoki »

This is from the book “Now is the Knowing” by Venerable Ajahn Sumedho pages 6,7:

<<<Many forest bhikkhus in the North-East of Thailand use the word ‘Buddho’as their meditation object. They use it as a kind of koan . Firstly, they calm the mind by following the inhalations and exhalations using the syllables BUD -DHO, and then begin to contemplate, ‘ What is Buddho, the ‘ one who knows ’ ? ’ ‘ What is the knowing? ’ When I used to travel around the North -East of Thailand on tudong I liked to go and stay at the monastery of Ajahn Fun. Ajahn Fun was a much -loved and deeply respected monk, the teacher of the Royal Family, and he was so popular that he was constantly receiving guests. I would sit at his kuti [hut] and hear him give the most amazing kind of Dhamma talks, all on the subject of ‘ Buddho ’— as far as I could see, it was all that he taught. He could make it into a really profound meditation, whether for an illiterate farmer or an elegant, western -educated Thai aristocrat. The main part of his teaching was to not just mechanically repeat ‘ Buddho ’ , but to reflect and investigate, to awaken the mind to really look into the ‘ Buddho ’ , ‘ the one who knows ’ really investigate its beginning, its end, above and below, so that one’s whole attention was stuck onto it. When one did that, ‘ Buddho ’ became something that echoed through the mind. One would investigate it, look at it, examine it before it was said and after it was said, and eventually one would start listening to it and hear beyond the sound, until one heard the silence.>>>
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:48 am
Sounds good.
The only thing against it is that it may not be enough to keep the conceptual mind engaged.
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:36 amMy Thai monk friend teaches to inhale “bu—” and exhale “—ddho”
That can also be thought of as mantra meditation. There's nothing at all wrong with that, of course, but it's not quite the same as occupying the monkey mind with a rather mechanical task.

Kim

The roshi recently proposed to me to start doing some breath counting during zazen, using the count in a mental audible sense, but reset to one when thoughts arise. The goal isn't to get to 10 as if in a race but to observe the frequency of thoughts arising. I find its a helpful method to observe when I'm forcing, grasping at thought.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

oryoki wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:39 am
This is from the book “Now is the Knowing” by Venerable Ajahn Sumedho
<<<Many forest bhikkhus in the North-East of Thailand use the word ‘Buddho’as their meditation object.
That makes sense.
My friend is a forest-tradition monk.
EMPTIFUL.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

There is also a teaching of counting breaths down to zero, starting from a large number like 500. It does make a difference, you can just try it.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
reiun

Post by reiun »

"[This] practice of breath counting may have a different function: to actually point out our nature. For some students, susokukan is itself a perfectly sufficient method for passing through the gate of awakening. Entering deeply into the samadhi of this method by completely becoming the count with each breath, even the one that "becomes" ultimately drops away. There then arrives a moment in which the samadhi shatters, and coming out from that state, kensho is attained."

--Meido Moore: The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I would like to add (although not about breaths, but about reducing distraction) is to take a moment to still your body.

We soon learn, when we begin siting, just how busy our minds are. But we don’t often realize how busy our bodies are, just in terms of the energy bouncing around in it. Even day to day, our bodies maintain a baseline of ‘holding’ tension (otherwise you’d walk around with your mouth wide open and you’d be peeing all the time).

If you find that your distractions are accompanied by a need for movement or fidgeting, always readjusting your posture and so on, then take a moment when you begin sitting, to just be as still as possible. Freeze up like a statue for a second and gently relax into your meditation posture.
This will also help you to focus on your breath and to be less distracted.
EMPTIFUL.
pema tsultrim

Post by pema tsultrim »

Alan Wallace teaches many different variations of counting breaths. They are featured prominently his book the Attention Revolution, and his other books and recorded teachings of course. If I recall correctly, in a teaching I was listening to in the last year, Alan says that one could take the method of counting breaths to stage 6 of shamatha.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I sometimes find it very useful to meditate on the word distraction .
‘Dis’ while inhaling, ‘traction’ while exhaling .
For some reason, this reduces actual distractions.
EMPTIFUL.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

pema tsultrim wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:39 am Alan Wallace teaches many different variations of counting breaths. They are featured prominently his book the Attention Revolution, and his other books and recorded teachings of course. If I recall correctly, in a teaching I was listening to in the last year, Alan says that one could take the method of counting breaths to stage 6 of shamatha.
Not to rag on Wallace but I'm not sure why he limits counting breath meditation to stage 6 - he may mean something different than Pacified Attention (or he might mean that breath counting is too dualistic to really result in Fully Pacified Attention and above).

However Meido quoted by reiun is correct: breath counting can take people to actual samadhi (acknowledging that that quote itself implies dropping at least the distraction of counting itself).

I realize that the OP expressed concern that breath counting might itself be or become a distraction but it can definitely take you to a samadhi sufficient for oneself that they can then go beyond that or keep the practice without distraction.
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
pema tsultrim

Post by pema tsultrim »

Heart, yes I believe that was the implication of Alan’s statement. Like I said, it was my recollection that Alan said you could take it to stage 6. He might have said, “you can definitely take it to stage 6.” He might have said, “You can take it at least to stage 6.” He might have said, you can take it as far as stage 6.” Or he might have said, but I don’t think so, “You can only take it as far as stage 6.” Little words can make a big distance. But, at some point from stage 6 or higher, the counting itself would have to be dropped in the 9 stage model, no?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Six Dharma Gates to the Sublime

https://www.kalavinka.org/kp_book_pages ... k_page.htm

Excellent little manual on how to meditate, starting with breath counting.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Meditation”