White wolf symbolism

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kjigme

White wolf symbolism

Post by Kjigme »

Would anyone have an idea if the white wolf has any kind of significance in Tibetan culture?
Knotty Veneer

Re: White wolf symbolism

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Never heard of any reference to wolves in general or white wolves in particular.
This is not the wrong life.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kjigme wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:19 am Would anyone have an idea if the white wolf has any kind of significance in Tibetan culture?
Zero.
Kjigme

Post by Kjigme »

:thumbsup:
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Kjigme wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:19 am Would anyone have an idea if the white wolf has any kind of significance in Tibetan culture?
Messengers.
Kjigme

Post by Kjigme »

Messengers.
[/quote]

If you don't mind me asking where did you see it?
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Tibetan Book of the Dead
[THE THIRTEENTH DAY]: "from the north, Svanamukha; the Dark-Blue Wolf-Headed One, the two hands tearing open a corpse and looking on with protruding eyes,"

svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Wolf as messenger (not necessarily white): 21 wolves help lead Gotsangpa to find the circumambulation path around Kailash.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pemachophel wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:35 pm Wolf as messenger (not necessarily white): 21 wolves help lead Gotsangpa to find the circumambulation path around Kailash.
Yes, and crows too. All black since they are messengers of the guardians.
Kjigme

Post by Kjigme »

Thanks guys :namaste:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kjigme wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:20 pm Thanks guys :namaste:
FYI, an albino wolf, in the Tibetan world, would most likely be regarded as an inauspicious sign, largely as a result of albinism being regarded as inauspicious in Buddhism. For example, originally albinos could not ordain, and so on. It's not like NA culture, where albinism in buffalos is regarded as sacralizing.
cyril

Post by cyril »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:40 pm
FYI, an albino wolf, in the Tibetan world, would most likely be regarded as an inauspicious sign, largely as a result of albinism being regarded as inauspicious in Buddhism. For example, originally albinos could not ordain, and so on. It's not like NA culture, where albinism in buffalos is regarded as sacralizing.
Yet, I heard that white yaks were seen as auspicious and the wool from white yaks was particularly prized.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

white lions are symbol of perfect courage, and white goats of perfect perseverance; this aren't inauspicious. perhaps albino and white aren't the same thing?
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

jet.urgyen wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:12 am
white lions are symbol of perfect courage, and white goats of perfect perseverance; this aren't inauspicious. perhaps albino and white aren't the same thing?
Albino and white aren't the same thing in real life. Many animals have a natural range of coat or skin colours which can include white (think of sheep and dogs) but albinism is the result of a genetic defect - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albinism - and is generally negative in health outcomes.
What this probably means in traditional terms is that albinos are unnatural, perhaps cursed, and therefore inauspicious while white-coated animals are natural but a bit special.

:coffee:
Kim
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I've never seen, in all the thousands of texts i have read in Tibetan, any reference to white wolves. Tibetan wolves have the same range of colors as other wolves, predominantly gray, with black, yellow, and whitish color. But a white wolf would be albino.

A snow lion is not a real creature, and I've never heard of a white goat of perfect perseverance, not saying the term does not exist somewhere, but I have not run across such an idea in my reading.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:05 am

I've never seen, in all the thousands of texts i have read in Tibetan, any reference to white wolves. Tibetan wolves have the same range of colors as other wolves, predominantly gray, with black, yellow, and whitish color. But a white wolf would be albino.

A snow lion is not a real creature, and I've never heard of a white goat of perfect perseverance, not saying the term does not exist somewhere, but I have not run across such an idea in my reading.
I'm sorry, you are right. Kjigme asked about tibetan culture, I talked from mere understanding.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”