What does Buddhism teach?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: What does Buddhism teach?

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

laic wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:02 pm I simply do not see any definitive distinction between "Dharma" and "world", between that which is "pure teaching" and all other.
Basing one’s understanding on what one doesn’t see seems like a pretty shaky way to go, and isn’t what the Buddha suggested, but if that’s what you want to try, then go for it.

There are a few problems with just quoting buddhist teachings out of context, the way some evangelical preachers cite this or that Bible scripture.

Firstly, the text cited may be meant to convey an entirely different message than what the person sharing the quote is trying to say.

Second, the translation using English language terminology may be faulty. This is or was especially the case early on with translations of Theravada texts, mostly done by British transistors who used terms such as ‘sin’ , ‘salvation’ , ‘enlightenment’ which do not necessarily convey the meaning of the Pali or the understanding of the terms from what would have been an Indian way of experience.

There are certainly many types of meditation as well as methods for developing strong concentration, not to mention plenty of techniques for navigating life, reducing stress, and so on.

But as I said in my first reply, to answer your question ‘what does Buddhism teach?’ (Which is, a LOT of things) you really do have to look at what the Buddha was specifically addressing. Otherwise this is like someone who wants to fix their car learning how to bake a cake. They might end up with some good cake, and there are plenty of recipes for cake, but their car is still broken.

What differentiates the Buddha’s teaching from all other paths is that he identifies grasping the permanent-seeming experience of “me” (and the offshoot belief that a continuous ‘soul’ or ‘atman’ functions as awareness) itself as the cause of perpetual rebirth.

The path he lays out is specifically based on the premise that no such continuous ‘self’ truly exists, although there is no denying that the illusory experience of a continuous self occurs. That experience is definitely happening as a projection of mind. Hence, the goal of liberation his teaching aims to achieve is also different than that of other spiritual belief systems. He isn’t teaching how to become one with Brahma, or how to get to Heaven and see Jesus.

Any teacher can draw a map that leads to somewhere. The map the Buddha drew leads specifically to liberation from samsaric rebirth, both moment-to-moment if one gains realization in this lifetime, as well as after the dissolution of the physical body at the time of death.

Some other theories may exist about what happens after death, or how to meditate, but that doesn’t mean they are the same as Buddha’s Dharma.
Last edited by PadmaVonSamba on Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

laic wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:54 pm The Buddha is said to have "rediscovered an ancient path".
The Buddha has been teaching the path to liberation long before The appearance of Shakyamuni 2600 years ago.
EMPTIFUL.
laic

Post by laic »

Just to say:-

"Dharma" as truth or law or principle or reality.

"Dharma" as doctrine or teaching.

I note a general failure here on this thread to distinguish between the two. Hence the confusion.

I am seeking to say that any Dharma as "doctrine/teaching" is NOT - and cannot be - an "only way".

But thank you PadmaVonSamba for at least responding in context, even if I do not fully agree.

Now I will retire to the lounge.

:namaste:
Protecting oneself one protects others
Protecting others one protects oneself
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

laic wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:17 pm I am seeking to say that any Dharma as "doctrine/teaching" is NOT - and cannot be - an "only way".
…only way to what?
That’s the point.
Can you be more specific?
EMPTIFUL.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

laic wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:17 pm "Dharma" as truth or law or principle or reality.

I note a general failure here on this thread to distinguish between the two. Hence the confusion.
I don’t think there is generally any confusion. But as this is a Buddhist forum, “Dharma” by default is likely to refer to the buddhist teachings. So, as with any type of communication on the web, it helps to be really specific about what one is saying.

Actually, a dharma can be anything conceived or held in the mind, though it usually refers to non-physical or abstract concepts (liberation, forgiveness, anger, etc)
EMPTIFUL.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

laic wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:54 pm
Aemilius wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:28 am This doctrine had not existed in this world before its discovery by Gautama Shakyamuni. The fact of its novelty is stressed in the Lalita Vistara sutra.

Hi. If it is true then as "reality" it has always "existed".

The Buddha is said to have "rediscovered an ancient path". There is the historical unfolding of the Dharma obviously.

If others wish to insist that Buddhism is in some sense "the only way" then so be it.

Thanks for the conversation.
I agree, that reality is changeless. But its expressions most likely are not the same with different Buddhas in different eras, worlds and kalpas. In fact Avatamsaka sutra, The Flower Ornament Scripture, says in Chapter 8. The Four Holy Truths:
“Disciples of the Buddha, in the world called Most Victorious, the Four Holy Truths can be described in forty trillion names such as these, which by according with living beings’ thoughts, can cause them all to be tamed and subdued.”

And further,

"At that time, Manjushri Bodhisattva Mahasattva told all the Bodhisattvas: “All of you Disciples of the Buddha, in this Saha world, the Holy Truth of Suffering is perhaps called offenses, perhaps called oppression, perhaps called flux and change, perhaps called grabbing onto conditions, perhaps called conglomeration, perhaps called thorns, perhaps called relying on the root, perhaps called vain and deceptive, perhaps called carbuncles and sores, perhaps called the conducts of stupid people.

"Disciples of the Buddha, in this Saha world, the Holy Truth of the Accumulation of Suffering is perhaps called being bound up, perhaps called decay and ruin, perhaps called the meaning of love and attachment, perhaps called false enlightenment and thoughts, perhaps called tending toward and entering, perhaps called decisive, perhaps called net, perhaps called idle speculation, perhaps called following along, perhaps called the root of inversion.

"Disciples of the Buddha, in this Saha world, the Holy Truth of the Extinction of Suffering is perhaps called non-contention, perhaps called leaving filth, perhaps called still quiescence, perhaps called markless, perhaps called without demise, perhaps called without a self-nature, perhaps called freedom from impediments, perhaps called extinction, perhaps called true and actual substance, perhaps called abiding in the self-nature.

“Disciples of the Buddha, in this Saha world, the Holy Truth of the Way Leading to the Extinction of Suffering is perhaps called the One Vehicle, perhaps called inclining toward stillness, perhaps called instructing and guiding, perhaps called ultimately without difference, perhaps called level equality, perhaps called renouncing one’s burden, perhaps called without tendencies, perhaps called according with the sagely intent, perhaps called the conduct of immortals, perhaps called ten treasuries.

“Disciples of the Buddha, in this Saha world, the Four Holy Truths can be described in forty trillion names such as these, which, by according with living beings’ thoughts, can cause them all to be tamed and subdued."

from the City of Ten Thousand Buddha's translation of The Flower Adornment Sutra
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:34 pm
laic wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:17 pm I am seeking to say that any Dharma as "doctrine/teaching" is NOT - and cannot be - an "only way".
…only way to what?
That’s the point.
Can you be more specific?
Clearly, Buddhism is the only way to the goals of Buddhism, which are different from the goals of Christianity, etc.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

laic wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:17 pm Just to say:-

"Dharma" as truth or law or principle or reality.

:roll:
No one is confused, you are just making an unconvincing argument. I’m well aware of the various meanings of the term Dharma.
I am seeking to say that any Dharma as "doctrine/teaching" is NOT - and cannot be - an "only way".

But thank you PadmaVonSamba for at least responding in context, even if I do not fully agree.

Now I will retire to the lounge.

:namaste:
It’s the only way to the goals it aims at, since other systems of thought and practice have other goals. That’s self evident.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

laic wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:49 pm As an offshoot from another thread, I have began to reflect upon what Buddhism (aka the Dharma) actually "teaches". Of what parameters should be set - if any - as to what constitutes Buddhist teachings.
In your opening post, you specifically identify ‘Dharma’ as referring to Buddhism. I just want to get that fact out of the way, so there is no more confusion about how the term is being used here and what if exactly refers to.

Aside from that, what all schools of Buddhism share in common, or at least, what defines ‘Buddhism’ in terms of basic tenets, is what are know as the Four Seals:

All compounded things are impermanent
All afflicted emotions are dukkha
All phenomena are without inherent existence
Nirvana is beyond conditions (some schools have different ways of phrasing this one).

I hope this helps you in your reflecting.
EMPTIFUL.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”