In need of some advice please. Sensitive topic.

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
jet.urgyen

Re: In need of some advice please. Sensitive topic.

Post by jet.urgyen »

T@sh! wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:27 am Yes, Malcolm, you are correct, it is a total self gaslighting. This whole situation is, excuse the language, a bit of a mind f#ck. I attempted to reconcile, to reconnect, to convince myself I was wrong....but the fact remains I have a terrible feeling when I do any practice related to this Lama. It makes me feel conflicted, anxious, and just all over the place.

What a mess.
Bro, definitely give that sh1t up. Dol'gyal is an obstructor, not a protector. One shouldn't befriend those who bring obstructors onto one's path.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
T@sh!

Post by T@sh! »

My main fears sprang from breaking samaya, my practice commitments and my vows. But I see no other option. I have learned this the hard way! I thought to myself perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps I'm over thinking, over feeling etc... Perhaps it's me. But it's not... It is indeed an obstructing entity, and it touches everything that you do, even if you don't do its practice, the mere fact of being affiliated with someone who does the practice means that it will automatically have an effect on you. It's like a virus.

Thank goodness for this site and the experienced and dedicated practitioners on here. I really mean this!

I am done with this now. I will completely cut off all connections with anyone who practices it, regardless of who they are.

Does anyone perhaps have any advice on a cleansing practice? I have found that doing the Vajra Guru mantra settles my mind very much. I have tantric empowerments in the Nyingma and Karma Kagyu lineages as well, and those all seem to help counter the negative effects.

I thank you all truly!
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

jet.urgyen wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:39 am
T@sh! wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:27 am Yes, Malcolm, you are correct, it is a total self gaslighting. This whole situation is, excuse the language, a bit of a mind f#ck. I attempted to reconcile, to reconnect, to convince myself I was wrong....but the fact remains I have a terrible feeling when I do any practice related to this Lama. It makes me feel conflicted, anxious, and just all over the place.

What a mess.
Bro, definitely give that sh1t up. Dol'gyal is an obstructor, not a protector. One shouldn't befriend those who bring obstructors onto one's path.
ask your nyigma or kagyu lama, they'll know what to do.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
T@sh!

Post by T@sh! »

[quote=jet.urgyen post_id=649387 time=1670591648 user_id=9139]
[quote=jet.urgyen post_id=649337 time=1670549985 user_id=9139]
[quote=T@sh! post_id=649333 time=1670545654 user_id=17308]
Yes, Malcolm, you are correct, it is a total self gaslighting. This whole situation is, excuse the language, a bit of a mind f#ck. I attempted to reconcile, to reconnect, to convince myself I was wrong....but the fact remains I have a terrible feeling when I do any practice related to this Lama. It makes me feel conflicted, anxious, and just all over the place.

What a mess.
[/quote]

[/quote]

ask your nyigma or kagyu lama, they'll know what to do.
[/quote]

Thank you. I've already been advised on what to do.
T@sh!

Post by T@sh! »

So, after all that has been said and done, Lama Zopa Rinpoche teaches that you can't give up a guru once you have received a teaching from them, even just a few words or one mantra makes a teacher your guru automatically, and to regard them as other than your guru is a most serious offence. I don't know if this is the view in other traditions, but it does seem to be the view in the Gelug lineage.

"Yes, I understand you want to follow me, but I do need to mention one thing, that can be a big mistake, and you can’t do like this—taking teachings and vows, taking refuge, one-day vows, eight Mahayana precepts or pratimoksha precepts of eight or five vows, or if you have received a lung (oral transmission), even just OM MANI PADME HUM, even just a few words—thinking of yourself as the disciple and the other person as guru. If you receive lungs, commentaries or whatever, like that, with that mind, then you have to regard all those people as guru. That is why in the beginning you must check; you must be very careful. This is the most important thing in the life." - Lama Zopa Rinpoche - https://www.lamayeshe.com/advice/dorje-shugden

Going by what Lama Zopa Rinpoche says, even gurus outside the Buddha Dharma, are your gurus forever... So Catholics and Orthodox Christians are still bound to regard the popes, patriarchs, bishops and priests as their spiritual teachers, especially Orthodox Christians, as the clergy in that lineage of Christianity play the same role. essentially, as gurus do in the Dharmic religions.
Last edited by T@sh! on Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

Your guru manifets your highest ideal of perfection and reflect the diamond in your heart.

All the rest are teachers, whom you can and should respect and considerate.

Guru is not only a person. It is a principle that manifets also as external guru, in flesh and blood.

Follow your inner guidance, that is also the voice of the Guru.

Why you should considerate the Guru ? Because if you are in the right mode of reception, respect and devotion, their blessings, and the blessings from all the universe will flow into you. That is, a transmission occurs.

Don’t be in fear. There is nothing to fear. There is consideration, respect, devotion to manifests for your higher good.

Who is the Guru ? The greatest servant. We think we serve the guru but it is only in surface. The guru serves us.

If a specific teaching does not speak to you, not out of laziness or difficulties (in this case you should persevere), you don’t have to force yourself to accomplish it.

If this protector is a problem, just don’t do it. The essence of all enlightened protectors are one, there manifestations are many. Keep the vision on this unique essence.
T@sh!

Post by T@sh! »

Thank you for your response. My issue is not with the practice of this particular protector, I don't do that practice, I don't have any vows or commitments to that protector. My issue is with breaking samaya concerning a guru, a who does that protector practice. As per Lama Zopa Rinpoche even if a guru does that particular protector practice, you still cannot disregard them as your guru.
Last edited by T@sh! on Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

T@sh! wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:56 pm So, after all that has been said and done, Lama Zopa Rinpoche teaches that you can't give up a guru once you have received a teaching from them, even just a few words or one mantra makes a teacher your guru automatically, and to regard them as other than your guru is a most serious offence. I don't know if this is the view in other traditions, but it does seem to be the view in the Gelug lineage.

Going by what Lama Zopa Rinpoche says, even gurus outside the Buddha Dharma, are your gurus forever... So Catholics and Orthodox Christians are still bound to regard the popes, patriarchs, bishops and priests as their spiritual teachers, especially Orthodox Christians, as the clergy in that lineage of Christianity play the same role. essentially, as gurus do in the Dharmic religions.
You might find these articles helpful:

https://buddhism-controversy-blog.com/2 ... alai-lama/

https://info-buddhism.com/Questioning_A ... _Lama.html
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

Be inspired by your guru. You don’t have to copy them or to become a clone. Be inspired by what they represent, what they are, how they live, what they transmits. If one of their practice does not feel good for you, just don’t do it.
T@sh!

Post by T@sh! »

[quote=Tilopa]
[quote=T@sh!]So, after all that has been said and done, Lama Zopa Rinpoche teaches that you can't give up a guru once you have received a teaching from them, even just a few words or one mantra makes a teacher your guru automatically, and to regard them as other than your guru is a most serious offence. I don't know if this is the view in other traditions, but it does seem to be the view in the Gelug lineage.

[/quote]

You might find these articles helpful:

https://buddhism-controversy-blog.com/2 ... alai-lama/

https://info-buddhism.com/Questioning_A ... _Lama.html
[/quote]

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!! IT IS NO SURPRISE THAT HIS HOLINESS CLARIFIES THINGS SO WELL. THIS IS THE ANSWER I NEEDED. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”