6 doctrins (yogas) of niguma, naropa and sukkhasiddhi: are they different or the same?

VolkerK

6 doctrins (yogas) of niguma, naropa and sukkhasiddhi: are they different or the same?

Post by VolkerK »

hello dear friends, i have a question about the 6 doctrins (yogas) of niguma (rtsa ba ni gu chos drug) naropa (na ro chos drug) and sukkhasiddhi (Su kha siddhi'i chos drug): are they different or the same?
in different sources i have informed myself about this, but i am not clear yet, if the techniques are similar yogas or if there are differences?
in this source, for example (https://www.shangpafoundation.org/tradi ... oggle-id-6), the practice of gtummo was missing and instead there was the practice of "The empty Enclosure of A" (a'i stong ra) and the practice of "The Path of Skillfull Means".
what was the relationship between tilopa, naropa, niguma and sukhasiddhi?
sarva mangalam
conebeckham

Re: 6 doctrins (yogas) of niguma, naropa and sukkhasiddhi: are they different or the same?

Post by conebeckham »

They are different sets of techniques with different instructions, but they have similarities.

These techniques all focus on using "subtle body" to effect liberation with focus on various states of being--sleep, dream, daytime "awake"-ness, Samadhi, and the time of death or the period between death and rebirth.

These completion stage practices are all known as the Path of Skillful Means, as opposed to the Path of Liberation which is associated with working with Mind and Mind Essence directly after it has been introduced to the student by the teacher. In the Kagyu traditions, Mahamudra practices are usually called the Path of Liberation, though there is overlap with all of these techniques and methods.

The Path of Skillful Means uses visualizations, breathing techniques, and physical exercises known as "Trulkhors" and it a path of effort, requiring guidance and empowerment. Usually one has completed deity yoga practices, or "Creation Stage" methods, prior to being introduced to these Completion stage practices.

All three traditions--Nigu Chodruk, Naro Chudruk, and Sukha Chodruk, have Tummo practice. The "Empty Enclosure of Ah" is a preliminary practice in Niguma's tradition, and not technically part of the Six Yogas of Niguma (Nigu Chodruk).

As for your question about the relationship between Naro, Nigu, Sukhasiddhi, and Tilopa, there are various accounts and interpretations. Tilopa was Naropa's Guru. Naropa and Niguma have some sort of relationship that is not clear--siblings? spouses? Sukhasiddhi was a student of Virupa, or so the tradition says.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
VolkerK

Re: 6 doctrins (yogas) of niguma, naropa and sukkhasiddhi: are they different or the same?

Post by VolkerK »

dear conebeckham,
thank you very much for your explanation. you have helped me a lot.
VolkerK

Post by VolkerK »

hallo marcofromM,
thank you very much for your pm. i cannot direct answer your pm. you have helped me a lot.
marcofromM

Post by marcofromM »

My pleasure. As far as I heard, Kalu Rinpoche is very accessible if you are wanting to connect to the Niguma tradition.

A side question: are you German?
VolkerK

Post by VolkerK »

hallo marcofromM,
thanks for the tip. I have already studied the teachings of Naropa and Niguma a little bit and received initiations and made formal retreats (Vajrayogini, Chakrasamvara, Yamantaka, Tummo, etc.) in the gelug tradition (with Gesche Thubten Ngawang and Khensur Gesche Ugyen Tseten Rinpoche a few years ago) , but I was not really clear about the differences, since there are also different lines of tradition. thank you for the tip with kalu rinpoche. there is probably a course with him next weekend in Berlin. https://shangpakagyu.org/event/germany-berlin/
unfortunately it does not fit me temporally. however, I will soon participate in an online course with lama Glenn Mullin on the subject. https://lamaglenn-sixyogas.com/vajrayogini-sixyogas
Yes, i am german.

Return to “Kagyu”