mala

suerafatodd

mala

Post by suerafatodd »

Hello,

This might sound like a silly question, but I'm wondering if it's considered disrespectful/inappropriate to take the mala with my ngondro counters on it out in public. Is that something I should keep private, or does it not really matter?

Care
PadmaVonSamba

Re: mala

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

It’s not really appropriate to wear it as jewelry or just to show it off, or to wear it to announce to the world that you are a Buddhist.
But wearing it around your neck or wrist as a reminder to be mindful, or to stay in a sort of dharma state of mind, that’s fine. Lots of monks wear malas openly.
But it should also not become a prop for some kind of buddhist-identity trip.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Your mala should be kept private, and not shown to others.
suerafatodd

Post by suerafatodd »

I mean taking it to use at meditation at the temple I go to, not to wear or display it. Is it ok that others see it at all, or should I use one that isn’t for my ngondro?
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

suerafatodd wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:59 am I mean taking it to use at meditation at the temple I go to, not to wear or display it. Is it ok that others see it at all, or should I use one that isn’t for my ngondro?
It’s just a string of beads with stuff attached to it.
Do what you are comfortable with.
EMPTIFUL.
philji

Post by philji »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:16 pm
suerafatodd wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:59 am I mean taking it to use at meditation at the temple I go to, not to wear or display it. Is it ok that others see it at all, or should I use one that isn’t for my ngondro?
Is it not more than that? I.E. a samaya substance in the same way as a bell and vajra?
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

philji wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:03 pm
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:16 pm
Is it not more than that? I.E. a samaya substance in the same way as a bell and vajra?
It can be, if that’s your view.
In other words, you are imputing whatever meaning you want on them. Is it a samaya substance? Some people’s Malas might be, and others are not.

I’ve seen people wearing malas at buddhist temples. Monks and lamas wear them on their wrists as well as around the neck. So, forgive me if my previous answer seemed dismissive. I’ve just never heard of it being an issue. I mean, I don’t think you will suffer any negative consequences if you wear your mala to the grocery store, although since there is no need to, then the question arises if it is appropriate, in the same sense that taking a bell and dorje to the market would also be out of place.

In my own experience (and I’ve seen it in others) getting too wrapped up in the details of
‘shoulds and shouldn’ts’ creates obstacles in the form of weird attachment. Respect and some proper Dharma etiquette are important because they are useful and conducive to mindfulness and practice. But when things get convoluted it’s easy to get sidetracked. If the question is about samaya, then one should ask one’s own teacher, because that’s where the samaya starts.
EMPTIFUL.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

suerafatodd wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:01 am Hello,

This might sound like a silly question, but I'm wondering if it's considered disrespectful/inappropriate to take the mala with my ngondro counters on it out in public. Is that something I should keep private, or does it not really matter?

Care
If it's your general purpose mala, that's fine. A retreat mala should be kept private.
Terma

Post by Terma »

jmlee369 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:47 am
suerafatodd wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:01 am Hello,

Care
If it's your general purpose mala, that's fine. A retreat mala should be kept private.
This is the way that I have been taught as well. General purpose for others to see, retreat mala or one used for approach or accompmishment accumulation kept private.

Return to “Gelug”