World Cup 2022

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Malcolm

Re: World Cup 2022

Post by Malcolm »

reiun wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:55 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:50 pm I find the best approach is complete indifference to sports of all kinds...ok, maybe slightly interested in tennis...barely

For me, teammate connections were a precursor to sangha relations.
I don't compete against teams anymore, just personal goals swimming or lifting weights. Not fitting into sports is, to me, a missed opportunity for physical and mental health.
Getting the shit kicked out of you daily by jocks for being a “hippy” in 7th grade (1974) tends to severely attenuate one’s enthusiasm for team sports. I did play soccer at camp though, and that was fun.
reiun

Post by reiun »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:21 am
Malcolm wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:50 pm I find the best approach is complete indifference to sports of all kinds...ok, maybe slightly interested in tennis...barely

I don't compete against teams anymore, just personal goals swimming or lifting weights. Not fitting into sports is, to me, a missed opportunity for physical and mental health.
Getting the shit kicked out of you daily by jocks for being a “hippy” in 7th grade (1974) tends to severely attenuate one’s enthusiasm for team sports. I did play soccer at camp though, and that was fun.
As a hippy in 1969, the worst was probably getting hit by gravel from spinning tires in the parking lot of the Country Corner Inn in Ashburn, VA, close by our seven bedroom pre-Civil War farmhouse commune in Clarksville. But the bar had cheap beer and an Eightball pinball machine . . . Our only "sport" was toboganning on the hills of the 250 acre estate.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:06 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:50 pm I find the best approach is complete indifference to sports of all kinds...
That's where my inclinations are tending these day. But habits are still hooked in. Its an interesting lens to examine how grasping at pleasure and distraction play out. Overall, my interest in sports has been fading over the years. My team, the Buffalo Bills, though, are in the midst of a generational run at the Superbowl. Given the history of the team, its hard to look away.

"Give me chastity and temperance—but not yet!"
-St. Augustine

Japan-Croatia in over time... both sides are wiped out and getting sloppy.
Josh Allen is from a teensy town 30 miles from here called Firebaugh. He’s a nice kid, it seems.

I definitely have my phases of being into some sports, then having zero interest at other times.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

For me, lacking any father figure who would steer me into sports, plus always being asked if I played sports due to being tall etc really didn’t make me excited about sports growing up. My views of sports as pointless exercises were part of my journey to Buddhadharma. But, things have come full circle and I kinda enjoy the illusion here and there. Plus, I think I could of been a contender. Instead of a Dharma bum, which is what I am ha.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Norwegian wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:12 pm Brazil quickly scores 1-0 against South Korea, and half the team dances together on the pitch, to the rhythm of the drums of Brazilian fans.'

Edit: 2-0, and more dancing by the Brazilians.

Edit: 3-0, second best goal of the tournament by Richarlison, who now have the two best goals of the tournament so far. What a beautiful goal from beginning till end. And yes, more dancing from Brazil. Including the Brazilian reserves and their coach.

Edit: 4-0. More happy dancing.
Certainly the most entertaining side in the tournament. But my money would still be on France if I was gambling..which I am not.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

reiun wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:19 am
As a hippy in 1969, the worst was probably getting hit by gravel from spinning tires in the parking lot of the Country Corner Inn in Ashburn, VA, close by our seven bedroom pre-Civil War farmhouse commune in Clarksville. But the bar had cheap beer and an Eightball pinball machine . . . Our only "sport" was toboganning on the hills of the 250 acre estate.
Snow? In Virginia? Wow, man. You guys are old!

Just teasing. I am grateful for my elders.
KristenM wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:58 am
Josh Allen is from a teensy town 30 miles from here called Firebaugh. He’s a nice kid, it seems.
I have a call and response with my kids on game day:

WHO'S OUR QUARTERBACK?!

JOSH ALLEN!!

He's an American legend in the making. Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed, John Henry, Neal Cassady ( :tongue: ), Josh Allen. Perfect underdog for Buffalo. He's been doubted and written off throughout his football career - he wasn't recruited out of high school at Firebaugh where he was just some big farm boy, went to junior college where he was "discovered" by the head coach of Wyoming who had visited to scout another player on the team. Transferred to Wyoming where he was the only guy who could play. Was panned in the draft as a big bodied bust. Came to Buffalo and won us fans over on Thanksgiving, willing a victory over Dallas, leaving Tony Romo, the announcer and former Dallas QB, stunned by the end of the game:

Oh, well link blocked. Click if you want to see it.

4th and short, he bumbles the snap, picks it up out of the pile then muscles over both the offensive and defensive linemen, and then tosses a defensive back on the way to a first down. He is a beast.

Hard to not be a Josh Allen fan. This kid is carrying all of Western New York on his back and not flinching. We are a wild fan base:

World Cup related... my son came home from school with his Japan jersey on sad and disappointed. Decided he's rooting for France. Guess I'll join him.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

LOL At least one underdog is through.......... :rolling:

Although in my heart, I was hoping for that underdog to be Japan more than Morocco.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Way to go, Morocco!

Now let's see if they're meeting Portugal or Switzerland. In theory Portugal is much superior, but as this WC has shown now plenty of times, theory means nothing at all on the pitch.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:woohoo:

Sorry, if there's anyone here from Spain. I was rooting for Morocco. :D

It's a North African nation and I have some North African ancestry and also; I have a Moroccan domain name:

dham.ma

The whole domain name including the extension spells "Dhamma".

dhar.ma was already taken, so I could only get the Pali spelling.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:21 am Getting the shit kicked out of you daily by jocks for being a “hippy” in 7th grade (1974) tends to severely attenuate one’s enthusiasm for team sports. I did play soccer at camp though, and that was fun.
If it's any consolation (in a schadenfreude way), most jocks in middle school and high school never make it to the big leagues or any other worldly success. George Carlin used to say:

"why do I keep getting these ads online about wanting to meet my old classmates? If I want to see the captain of the football team, I just look out my window at the guy mowing my lawn."
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

🇲🇦

I knew some Moroccans from my town did some work with them they'll be thrilled
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Getting there......its becoming like an "once in a few years" thingy for me now plus only a few matches are on my watch list.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Portugal have overwhelmed Switzerland…
Last edited by Giovanni on Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Giovanni wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:29 pm Portugal have overwhelmed Switzerland…
Key to the game: the diva was benched. And the squad did the rest. When you don't have to sacrifice your whole team to cater to a spoiled narcissist, good things can happen.

Morocco vs Portugal could turn out to be a pretty interesting game, two underdogs fighting for a place in the sun, with Morocco arguably a bit more lower of a dog.

The match also has some very interesting historical undertones, Morocco was where a young, inexperienced, messianic Portuguese king with delusions of grandeur, at the height of the country's colonial expansion, disappeared after a disastrous military campaign, leading to a political collapse that culminated with Spain's annexation of Portugal. Ever since, a myth goes by saying that the king will return in a foggy morning one day. Will be checking the weather forecast for the game day. :lol:
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

Svalaksana wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:29 am
Morocco vs Portugal could turn out to be a pretty interesting game, two underdogs fighting for a place in the sun, with Morocco arguably a bit more lower of a dog.
Portugal are not underdogs if they play without CR7. The dude is dragging down the entire team. Even the geriatric Pepe has more to offer.
"Don't mind me, just trying to find the nearest exit"
- someone stuck in Samsara... or maybe lost in Walmart
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:04 pm
I have a call and response with my kids on game day:

WHO'S OUR QUARTERBACK?!

JOSH ALLEN!!

He's an American legend in the making. Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed, John Henry, Neal Cassady ( :tongue: ), Josh Allen. Perfect underdog for Buffalo. He's been doubted and written off throughout his football career - he wasn't recruited out of high school at Firebaugh where he was just some big farm boy, went to junior college where he was "discovered" by the head coach of Wyoming who had visited to scout another player on the team. Transferred to Wyoming where he was the only guy who could play. Was panned in the draft as a big bodied bust. Came to Buffalo and won us fans over on Thanksgiving, willing a victory over Dallas, leaving Tony Romo, the announcer and former Dallas QB, stunned by the end of the game:

Hard to not be a Josh Allen fan. This kid is carrying all of Western New York on his back and not flinching.

World Cup related... my son came home from school with his Japan jersey on sad and disappointed. Decided he's rooting for France. Guess I'll join him.
Josh Allen is an actual farm boy who can grow cotton and cantaloupe probably as well as he can throw touchdowns. The kid needs an ABC Afterschool Special about him!

Back to the World Cup…So happy for Morocco. They’re about the only underdog team left now.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

ManiThePainter wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:50 am
Portugal are not underdogs if they play without CR7. The dude is dragging down the entire team. Even the geriatric Pepe has more to offer.
Quite right, old chap, I think it now became obvious to all what was already apparent to many. And since you mention him, Pepe, now the oldest scorer in WC knock-out stages, is a natural born leader and much fitter captain than that whiny self-obsessed prima donna.
ManiThePainter

Post by ManiThePainter »

Svalaksana wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:57 am And since you mention him, Pepe, now the oldest scorer in WC knock-out stages, is a natural born leader and much fitter captain than that whiny self-obsessed prima donna.
Pepe is also quite a dirty player... I'm a Barça fan though so I have very little love for him :tongue:

He was a real thug back when Guardiola was in charge at Barça and Jose Mourinho was at Madrid. Man, those were the days... the drama was exquisite.

Sad to see those players fading away (even Pepe). Only Dani Alves, Busquets and Messi are left from the Barça side of those days... legends all of them.
"Don't mind me, just trying to find the nearest exit"
- someone stuck in Samsara... or maybe lost in Walmart
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

ManiThePainter wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:20 am
Svalaksana wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:57 am And since you mention him, Pepe, now the oldest scorer in WC knock-out stages, is a natural born leader and much fitter captain than that whiny self-obsessed prima donna.
Pepe is also quite a dirty player... I'm a Barça fan though so I have very little love for him :tongue:

He was a real thug back when Guardiola was in charge at Barça and Jose Mourinho was at Madrid. Man, those were the days... the drama was exquisite.

Sad to see those players fading away (even Pepe). Only Dani Alves, Busquets and Messi are left from the Barça side of those days... legends all of them.
I know exactly what you mean, I'm a Benfica fan and Pepe as you know is a Porto idol, so very little affection from me from a club perspective too, haha. But on a national level he always transcended himself, luckily.

After Spain's thrashing of Costa Rica, everyone thought Pedri and Gavi would be the new spinal chord of a successful La Roja, like Xavi and Iniesta, and they might get there, we're just a few years shy of it perhaps.

You probably won't hear too many Portuguese folks say this, but for me Messi is pure class, pure talent, pure leadership. In this WC alone, he's demonstrated in every way why he always was a superior player than CR7.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Key to the game: the diva was benched. And the squad did the rest. When you don't have to sacrifice your whole team to cater to a spoiled narcissist, good things can happen.

The match also has some very interesting historical undertones, Morocco was where a young, inexperienced, messianic Portuguese king with delusions of grandeur, at the height of the country's colonial expansion, disappeared after a disastrous military campaign, leading to a political collapse that culminated with Spain's annexation of Portugal. Ever since, a myth goes by saying that the king will return in a foggy morning one day. Will be checking the weather forecast for the game day. :lol:
It’s very revealing that Ronaldo was dropped and sacked from the Manchester United team just before the World Cup started.
His huge talent protected him for many years, but he is now 37. His temperament is now hurting him.
Morocco/Portugal should be good. I suspect that Portugal will be victorious.

Return to “Lounge”