World Cup 2022

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Giovanni

Re: World Cup 2022

Post by Giovanni »

Can I make a suggestion?
Next time you are watching a football match and a striker is running towards goal, switch your attention away from her/him and focus on the defence players particularly the goalkeeper. Watch their skill in impeding the striker without incurring a penalty and the saves made by the goalie.
It’s like switching from the breath in the nasal passages to the abdomen! It’s involves the entire body/ team. :smile:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Giovanni wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:57 pm Can I make a suggestion?
Next time you are watching a football match and a striker is running towards goal, switch your attention away from her/him and focus on the defence players particularly the goalkeeper. Watch their skill in impeding the striker without incurring a penalty and the saves made by the goalie.
It’s like switching from the breath in the nasal passages to the abdomen! It’s involves the entire body/ team. :smile:
Yes, I agree defense is important and involves good strategy and tactics too. Even an NBA basketball game where the score ends with something like 114-110 there is some great defense (blocked shots, strategy, teamwork, take-aways, etc). I'm not suggesting the score should be like basketball though. And in baseball (I think cricket too) there is definitely defense at work otherwise the game/match would never end! There is no clock in baseball (and I think cricket too) since one side doesn't change to batting until the defense acquires 3 outs. And the games/matches don't ever end in 0-0 draws. I think there can be offense and defense; no need for it to be one or the other.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Agreed.
But the way that football is presented, at least on European tv, is for the main focus to be on goal scoring and on strikers
As I have said, at a live match we take in the whole sweep of the game, not just where the production team points the cameras🙂
It’s a different experience.
I’ll shut up my face now..😄
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

DNS wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:17 pm
Giovanni wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:57 pm Can I make a suggestion?
NBA basketball game
Completely different animal than European football.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:25 pm Completely different animal than European football.
Of course, that's why I said I'm not expecting soccer to have that kind of scoring; just making the point that there can be focus on defense and offense.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Ecuador vs. Netherlands was a great match. 1-1 draw is an impressive result for Ecuador, who actually should've won, given the strength they displayed and the many chances they had. Netherlands will very likely beat Qatar (although weird things can happen), and Senegal must beat Ecuador to have a chance of advancing. If Ecuador draws Senegal or defeats Senegal, with a Netherlands victory or draw against Qatar, then Ecuador advances (along with Netherlands).
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

How many Americans here watching the game? 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇺🇲
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Oof, that Pulisic shot should have gotten in!
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

England only in 1st gear
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

A Darwin Award for this pair of wazzocks.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:12 pm How many Americans here watching the game? 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇺🇲
I was out doing errands, missed the first half but back now to catch the second half.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

DNS wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:53 pm
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:12 pm How many Americans here watching the game? 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇺🇲
I was out doing errands, missed the first half but back now to catch the second half.
If second half is anything like the first, it should be entertaining. Lots of chances for both teams. And US team certainly not a pushover. May actually win if they keep performing like they've done.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

DNS wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:53 pm
USA had more tempo in the first half
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Dhammanando wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:52 pm A Darwin Award for this pair of wazzocks.

What a bunch of bozos! With that being said, I don't think you will ever be able to dress as anything, given the general savagery in ages past, certainly not as a Crusader, not as a Mongol, not as a USMC, not as a Soviet liberator, not as a Roman centurion, not as a Napoleonic trooper, not as a Persian immortal, probably not even as a Sengoku samurai, and so on. But dressing up as a Crusader in an Arabic country still remains as one of the dumbest ideas one could come up with as of today.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

DRAW!

Reminds me of my reporting on the chess championships here. :tongue:

If the US wins its match against Iran, they'll advance to knock-out stages.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

DNS wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:56 pm DRAW!

Reminds me of my reporting on the chess championships here. :tongue:

If the US wins its match against Iran, they'll advance to knock-out stages.
USA was honestly quite unlucky. While a draw is an incredibly strong result for the USA team against England, they produced so many chances that they should've scored. As you say though, it's up to USA to beat Iran. If they do, they advance further. It's all on them.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

I'm surprised with USA's performance against England and to be honest I was rooting for them to score and win. The USA team had plenty of opportunities and played eye-to-eye against them, despite England's undeniable better squad.

We'll see how it goes against Iran, but if the team is focused and Gio Reyna, Pulisic and McKennie are in a good day, things will be difficult for Iran.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

USA was the best team. Pulasic plays for an English team and knew how to play against them.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

England didn't turn up today USA had energy probably edged it can't play like that in the knockout stages
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

We watched the match on a big screen in a packed restaurant. I thought the USA would lose badly, but they showed a lot of gumption (as per usual, I should add). Not sure if it just seemed more exciting to me because the USA was playing.

Return to “Lounge”