World Cup 2022

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
DNS
Site Admin

World Cup 2022

Post by DNS »

Only 44 days until World Cup 2022. It's in November-December this time, probably because Qatar is so hot in the summer.

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/tourna ... /qatar2022

I'm not much of a fan or spectator of soccer (football), except for the World Cup and the Gold medal match at the Olympics. I make exception for World Cup, due to all the fanfare, gathering of all the nations and the interesting matches and rivalries.

I'm rooting for:

1. U.S.A.
2. Germany
3. Mexico
4. England
5. Any remaining African nation
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: World Cup 2022

Post by Ayu »

USA as winner of the Soccer World Championship? :lol:

Germany won't reach a honorable result as well. They are in bad shape right now.
I'm not much of a fan or spectator of soccer (football), except for the World Cup and the Gold medal match at the Olympics. I make exception for World Cup, due to all the fanfare, gathering of all the nations and the interesting matches and rivalries.
This is my stance as well. I enjoy seeing fair play amongst the different nations and continents.
laic

Post by laic »

A bit of a damperner....

"More than 6,500 migrant workers from India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have died in Qatar since it won the right to host the World Cup 10 years ago", many in the construction of the stadiums.

A bit of a soccer follower myself although I no longer get to any games - age and cost. Spurs have always been my team, from North London. Harry Kane is their star player, who hopes to lead England.
Protecting oneself one protects others
Protecting others one protects oneself
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

laic wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:37 pm A bit of a damperner....

"More than 6,500 migrant workers from India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have died in Qatar since it won the right to host the World Cup 10 years ago", many in the construction of the stadiums.

Perhaps we could do a Shitro for them each privately if we have the transmission

Money triumphs these days
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

DNS wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:35 pm Only 44 days until World Cup 2022. It's in November-December this time, probably because Qatar is so hot in the summer.

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/tourna ... /qatar2022

I'm rooting for:

1. U.S.A.
2. Germany
3. Mexico
4. England
5. Any remaining African nation
Of those, I think England has the best chance of going deep, though they'll have to beat France, who will be tough. I think the US and Germany probably lose in the first knockout round: Germany because they got a tough draw, the US because they're not very good. I'm not sure Mexico gets out of the group stage, and I think Senegal is the only African team that has a chance of getting out of the group stage.
laic

Post by laic »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:02 pm

Money triumphs these days
Money, or its equivalent, has always triumphed.

If we do not have the "transmission" we could possibly just feel human sympathy/empathy and let such evolve "beyond our calculation".
Last edited by laic on Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Italy will not be there. Italy were knocked out. By MACEDONIA…🤯
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ayu wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:11 pm USA as winner of the Soccer World Championship? :lol:
touché :D
master of puppets

Post by master of puppets »

Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, France, Italy and an African country are my favorites;

grow up with Brazil vs Argentina cup finals 👍

seems still the same theme.
Last edited by master of puppets on Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laic

Post by laic »

master of puppets wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:37 pm Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, France, Italy and an African country are my favorites;

Brazil, the greatest champions in 1970. A great team.

Sadly, Italy will not be there. A World Cup without such a great footballing nation seems strange.
master of puppets

Post by master of puppets »

laic wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:21 pm
master of puppets wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:37 pm Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, France, Italy and an African country are my favorites;

Brazil, the greatest champions in 1970. A great team.

Sadly, Italy will not be there. A World Cup without such a great footballing nation seems strange.
no problem. if there is no Brazil at the final ı will not watch.
reiun

Post by reiun »

Never played the sport (it wasn't popular when/where I grew up), but later watched a ton of it on TV with my expert father-in-law, who once refereed Pelé.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

reiun wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:43 pm Never played the sport (it wasn't popular when/where I grew up), but later watched a ton of it on TV with my expert father-in-law, who once refereed Pelé.
Yes, it's so great to watch a game with an expert in the room. My sons know any answer to any question and they understand what's going on on the field. It's a pleasure to watch together with them.

Some years I was invited to a birthday party and always Germany was playing on that day. I really missed my family at those games. Those slightly drunk people on that birthday party had a very simplistic understanding: If a goal happend for Germany, they were playing good. If not, they're called lame. Nobody notices the struggle of the defenders, the keeper, the teamplay...
reiun

Post by reiun »

My father-in-law was a German Jew who fled Europe with his Polish/Jewish wife before WWII. He earned some delay due to his professional footie prowess, but society became too dangerous, and the risk became obvious.
laic

Post by laic »

Ayu wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:15 pm

Yes, it's so great to watch a game with an expert in the room.
Two "experts" in the room, two different opinions

:rolling:
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:02 pm Money triumphs these days
Yeah, that's why it's best to stick with rugby league, where money counts for nothing and one can enjoy the sight of the world's last superpower routinely getting annihilated by the likes of New Zealand, Papua and New Guinea, and even Tonga.

And if you happen to be an American, you can always find consolation watching your women's team, who are indeed pretty good. Here's their 35-10 defeat of Russia in the Malaga 7s final earlier this year.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:03 am Yeah, that's why it's best to stick with rugby league, where money counts for nothing and one can enjoy the sight of the world's last superpower routinely getting annihilated by the likes of New Zealand, Papua and New Guinea, and even Tonga.
Rugby is not very popular in the U.S., even less viewership than soccer. The most popular sport in America is NFL (American football). Most American young men who strive to become a professional athlete, pursue NFL, basketball, baseball, or hockey. The American rugby players are likely those athletes who couldn't make it in NFL style football, basketball, etc. (Although, there might be a few who genuinely like rugby and strived for those teams.)
And if you happen to be an American, you can always find consolation watching your women's team, who are indeed pretty good. Here's their 35-10 defeat of Russia in the Malaga 7s final earlier this year.
Speaking of the American women, they have been very successful at soccer (football). They have won 4 titles, more than any other nation (FIFA women's World Cup).
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:03 am
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:02 pm Money triumphs these days
Yeah, that's why it's best to stick with rugby league, where money counts for nothing and one can enjoy the sight of the world's last superpower routinely getting annihilated by the likes of New Zealand, Papua and New Guinea, and even Tonga.

I’m English almost all of the rugby league teams are from up north where I’m not from so never got into it 😊
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Ayu wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:11 pm USA as winner of the Soccer World Championship? :lol:

Germany won't reach a honorable result as well. They are in bad shape right now.
This is my stance as well. I enjoy seeing fair play amongst the different nations and continents.
Wirklich? Warum denken Sie dass Deutschland ist schlecht im jetzen moment?

Shaun
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:03 am Yeah, that's why it's best to stick with rugby league, where money counts for nothing and one can enjoy the sight of the world's last superpower routinely getting annihilated by the likes of New Zealand, Papua and New Guinea, and even Tonga.
Or the Women's Rubgy World Cup, which started here yesterday with New Zealand beating Australia... :woohoo:

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2021

:heart:
Mike

Return to “Lounge”